Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: hi i think i asked the wrong question re what scope should i buy now meade 14in  (Read 1913 times)

Offline carper1325

hello everyone colin here from darkest cornwall
i was fortunate to own a meade 14 lx200 gps scope   a few years back i was spoiled  but now i want to buy a new scope i want to start by getting back into imaging palnets with a view to progressing forward to dso what scope should i get celestron meade  revalation   im posting here as i can see you r very much into imaging colin

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
What is your budget Colin?  If you have previously owned a 14 inch SCT, you will have a fairly good idea of what is available to you, or not as the case may be with the uk atmosphere
Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline carper1325

hi budget approx 2500 pounds all in ie barlows    powermate   then 399 for laptop which i havnt got at mo so on a scope 2000?

Offline carper1325

daft but i have been told that the celestron 9.25 is the bees knees for imaging and also another is the edge 8inch both fall into the can afford catagory but i was told by a someone that does sell them lol so having heard this i looked around at varios websites selling celestron scopes and on telescope planet they give scores for their scopes < dont know where from but anyhow , and the both these models get good scores on seeing and imaging dos and planets   so i took it they were ok
BBut wen i came on here and asked the question i didnt get much feed back about them . now mistakinly maybe astro imagers dont use these telescopes as much as it appears colinkk

Offline tomhow

• Tom How
  • Galactic Poster
  • Making equipment is far more fun than buying it.
    • The Curdridge Observatory
No telescope is the "bees knees" for imaging.

Big SCTs are great on the Moon and planets, but less suited to DSO imaging unless converted with a Hyperstar. For deep sky imaging a lot of people on here use shorter instruments which are better matched to pixel pitch of modern CCD cameras.

A would imagine a "score" on a retailer's website has got little to do with the performance of the scope and everything to do with the retailer's current stock and sales margin: Therefore not worth paying any attention.

Tak Sky 90, Atik 490, Homemade Mount, OAG, Lodestar

The Curdridge Observatory

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
Colin

In that other thread you asked for an opionion on the 8 and 9.25 so you very much gave the impression you were wedded to an SCT. As Tom says, a big SCT is great on Moon and Planets and can be made to work for DSO's (Hyperstar £££ or Focal Reducer) but its not what they do best. Unfortunately there is no one scope that does everything well. Its all a matter of compromises.

If it were my 2k I would look seriously at a big Newtonian, maybe something like the Orion Optics CT10. f4.8 for DSO's is nice and it would take a Powermate for moon and planets.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline carper1325

hi chris so a newtonian and a power mate / barlowa would be good yea

Offline carper1325

hi also where do u go to find such a scope cant seem to locate them

Offline carper1325

hi found it 1700 pounds carbon tube then mount accessories on top too much aka for me im afraid

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
Colin, I feel that your questions are not being answered as you want, because you haven't defined exactly what you want yourself..?

There are a few threads on this forum where people have asked how to start into astro imaging, and there is a lot of helpful advice in answers from the members, I suggest you go and do a bit of research, as we cannot advise directly until you have some direction yourself

Regards
Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline carper1325

Hi thanx o have imaged for a number of years  I just havnt got a scope at moment  . I need to get back I to it  I had a meade 14 inch lx200 bfor  but not heaps of time  now I have heaps of time but no scope        would a newtonian reflector b a good starting point as someone suggested  maybe skywatcher 

Offline MikeDunn

It's probably spread out all across your posts, but can you pull together a list of what you have to do with a scope, what you'd like to do, and what you don't care about ?

Maybe that will let us give you some feedback on what is best in the must-do and nice categories ?

Offline carper1325

hi again i used to own a 14inch lx200 around 8 years ago time didnt allow me to use enough so i sold it with all accessories huh oh well cant afford one now so im going to get back into it i have more time but less money ....
i aim to capture images of planets and then move on in a year or so as i get back into it and try my hand at dso.  so i was hoping to get a scope that would cope with all. !  impossible i know.     first i thought of sct but now guided toward newtonians   the skywatcher quattro 10 cf  seems a good choice

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook