Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Widefield Competition - *RESULTS*  (Read 6387 times)

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
Widefield Competition - *RESULTS*
« on: 23:55:25, 18 January, 2014 »

Widefield Imaging Competition 2013 - *RESULTS*

The results are in!

We had a fabulous response to the Widefield Imaging Competition 2013, with a fantastic array of entries to choose from, the UKAI Team of Moderators and Admin would like to thank all of our members who entered the competition with your wonderful images, as it has been a real pleasure to work through the entries and draw up a shortlist of finalists for the competition top prize.

The standard of entries has been astounding, and it is very refreshing to see the night sky captured in all of it's dynamism within a widefield format, the entries are a great example of what is capable with standard camera equipment without the use of telescopes, and serves as a reminder to all of us that great images of the night sky are available to all.

Anyway, enough of my waffling, as I'm sure you all want to see the results, but first I would like to thank our sponsor Altair Astro for kindly donating the top prize, and also for making the most important decision of choosing the outright winner, runner-up, and (joint) 3rd positions from our shortlist of six images;

The shortlist chosen by the UKAI Team was as follows; (in no particular order)- and said in my best Dermot O'Leary voice!))

Arizona Milkyway - Lee Majors

November Milkyway- Pete Vasey

Orion and Nebulosity - Ian Stratton

Cornish Milkyway - John Bell (plum)

Hyades/Pleiades (HyPlei) - Pete Vasey

Zenith  Milkyway - Tapio (Einari)

Sincere Congratulations to all those who made the shortlist!, it really was a tough process to have to narrow it down to just six finalists.....

:urock: :clap: :urock: :clap: :urock: :clap: :urock:  :clap: :urock: :clap: :urock: :clap: :urock:

So without any further ado....  here are the FINAL results....

WINNING IMAGE - Cornish Milkyway by John Bell

Congratulations to John!,
This image was chosen because John managed to capture the full arc of the MW from the UK, and the skyline has a lot of context linking earth to sky, a fabulous image I'm sure you will all agree!

Runner-Up Image

An excellent runner up, and a very tough decision as 2nd as it's pretty close, and the standard is very high, plenty of colour and drama there, even the tree in the foreground contributes to the shot, very well done Ian!

Joint 3rd Image

We all loved this Milky Way shot which is technically very good, and shows a lot of stars and nebulosity , well done Lee!

Joint 3rd Image

This was a tall order, literally! We really liked the observatory in the shot with the tall star clouds above the dome, showing the connection between sky and observer, great image Peter!

John wins an iOptron SkyTracker

iOptron SkyTrackerTM v2 DSLR Tracking Mount with Polar-Scope

Congratulations & Thanks to all....

All images entered into the competition were of a very high standard, the UKAI team would like to thank all of you, the members, for your continued contributions, not just to this competition, but to your invalued support of UKAI, without you all we could not exist, it is YOU that makes UKAI what it is, and we hope to be able to continue to provide you with a friendly, informative and fun Astro-imaging forum long into the future

I'm sure you will all join us in congratulating all the finalists, and the winner in the UKAI Widefield Competition!  - looking forward to the next one already!

Best Regards

Ade & the UKAI Team   8)

Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline Uplooker

Re: Widefield Competition - *RESULTS*
« Reply #1 on: 00:28:29, 19 January, 2014 »
Congratulations to all, very well done. Those are some excellent images.

Thanks also to the mods and admin for running/organising the competition and last but not least to the sponsors - Altair Astro.

Well done one and all

Ian
Ian

Scopes: SW 150P Newt, ST80, Celestron C8 XLT, TAL 100RS / PST Stage 2 Mod & BF10, SW 300PDS (soon to be on a Dob Mount)
Cameras: SPC900, QHY5, Canon 450D, DMK31AU03.AS
Mounts: NEQ6 powered by EQMod, EQ3-2

Offline plum

• Starting Member
« Reply #2 on: 00:39:47, 19 January, 2014 »
Wow I can't believe it. I'm so chuffed, and proud to be in such great company. Everyone's a winner in my view. Thanks to all on UK Astro Imaging team

Offline Astrogeordie

• The Regulars
  • Poster God
« Reply #3 on: 10:01:06, 19 January, 2014 »
Congratulations to the six and especially to the 1st winner. Well done ...

I reckon it was no easy task to judge. When I had been asked years ago in a local astronomy club to judge their annual photo contest, I made everybody the judge by making the decision by a voting system. As a colour blind (!) single judge I would have felt not competent enough to do it on my own.  :yakillinme:

So a "thank you" again for the judge team and the price donor as well.  :urock:

Clear skies,

Juergen

My scopes: 30 year old Tasco 60/700 on 10K mount and a few others ...

If you have no friends, just buy a lathe and things will change.

Online Carole

• Poster God
    • Carole Pope Astro-Imaging
« Reply #4 on: 11:24:05, 19 January, 2014 »
Congratulations to the winners and especially the 1st place winner that is a really lovely image.

Carole
Mount: HEQ5,  Telescopes: SW ED120 Pro and SW Evostar ED80 pro, WO ZS71 APO,  SW130PDS
Cameras: Modified Canon EOS 1100D, Atik 460EX, Atik314, DMK21, DBK21, Dual rig options. Observatory: SkyPOD & PZT
https://sites.google.com/site/caroleastroimaging/home

Offline petevasey

• Poster God
  • Plover Hill Observatory
    • Peter's Astronomy Pages
« Reply #5 on: 11:58:21, 19 January, 2014 »
Well done, John  :urock:

I have to say that despite being a competitor myself, I picked out John's image as the probable winner.    Beautiful image.
Also well done the judges (and thanks for placing me!)

Cheers,

Peter.
Telescopes: GSO RC10 Truss, Meade S5000 127, TMB 105, TS65 Quad, Solarscope SV50
Binoculars: Canon 15x50 IS
Camera lenses: Canon 400L f5.6, Canon 70-200L f4 zoom, various old M42 thread
Cameras: QSI 683wsg, SX AO, LodestarX2, Artemis285, Canon 350D (modded), Canon 700D, GPCAM2 (colour), GPCAM2 (mono), LE Vesta Pro, Toucam.
Mounts:  Gemini G41 with Pulsar controller. EQ6 Pro, EQ3-2 with Autostar. Star Adventurer
Observatory: 8' Astronomydome

Offline psjshep

• Phil, who still has a job
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • My god! It's full of stars.... just not here often
    • Some astro Pics
« Reply #6 on: 12:02:25, 19 January, 2014 »
Well done to all who participated.... and YES it was a tough decision....

The quality of the pictures submitted have been superb - congratulations to EVERYONE.

Phil
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Web Images

Offline Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
« Reply #7 on: 13:02:38, 19 January, 2014 »
Congratulations John, 

Well done to the finalists & to all who entered.   
Was a tough decision to pick a winner out of them all.

Roger
Scopes - TS65q, W/O 110 Triplet
Mount - EQ6 PRO via  Eqmod,  Rowan belt modded
Cameras - SX694, QSI583WSG,Lodestar Guidecam, GP-Cam, QHY5II.
TS 9mm OAG
Quantum 7x1.25 EFW, Baader LRGB,Ha,OIII,SII Filters 
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

************AND NO TIME TO USE IT************

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
    • Stoneage Observatory blog
« Reply #8 on: 19:35:09, 19 January, 2014 »
1st loser... gutted :(
Congratulations John!
I'll echo the comments of others and say that looking through the entries the standard and variety were excellent, thanks to the sponsers for giving us all a reason to shoot these images and to the mods for sorting the wheat from the chaff to come up with a winner :)

Offline pnj

• Poster God
    • http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulastro/
« Reply #9 on: 11:22:13, 20 January, 2014 »
Congratulations John,   I agree that this was the best image.  very well done.  Im also glad the judging team picked an image taken from the UK
Paul J
FSQ 85 Telescope, SX694 CCD, Canon 70d,  AZ EQ6GT mount
email at: urban@astronomer.wanadoo.co.uk

Offline plum

• Starting Member
« Reply #10 on: 13:02:38, 20 January, 2014 »
Thanks all. It's seeing the stuff here on UKAI that gets us all out there trying to do better. (To Pete and astrogeordie in particular - I'm also glad to be an astrogeordie. The skies here in Milton Keynes aren't any better than those I grew up with in Wallsend)

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #11 on: 11:35:17, 22 January, 2014 »
Huge congratulations John - a very worthy winner indeed sir  :clap: :clap:

Also, just to echo what's already been said... in my mind everyone who entered is a winner, as to us in the mod/admin team it proves it's all worth while  :yes: :urock:

John - I'm the one responsible for getting the prize out to you.  PM sent with an update  ;)

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline leemajors

• Poster God
  • Webmaster: South East Kent Astronomical Society
    • Sekas
« Reply #12 on: 09:34:51, 27 January, 2014 »
Congratulations to the winner

Lee
EQ6 pro, Celestron Off Axis Guider, Celestron C8, William Optics Megrez 90, Ikharos 70 f6 ED APO,  Meade 10" LX200GPS, Mod Canon 1000D, CLS clip filter, ZWO ASI120MC planetary cam, Meade DSI colour guide cam, Atik 314L+ mono., Atik 5 pos USB filter wheel, Baader LRGB filter set, Baader 7nm Ha, Baader 8.5nm Oiii & 1.25" CLS filter, Maxim DL 5.

Offline PaulB

• Galactic Poster
  • Canis Major
    • Paul's Astronomy Pages
« Reply #13 on: 20:42:52, 28 January, 2014 »
I have just been looking at these gorgeous images. They make me feel very humble when I look, at the starry heavens in this way. I like the way all the imagers have tried to capture the sky with a natural earthy scene.

They are wonderful.

Well done one and all. And. Congratulations to John Bell  :thumbup:

Paul.
"Whirlpool Observatory"
Losmandy G11-Gemini L4.
Celestron C9.25.
Megrez 80 ED II Triplet.
Orion OMC 140
Altair 115ED F7
Coronado PST
Atik 428EX
Atik EFW 2
QHY5L-II.
Modded Canon 1000D.
IOptron Mini Tower II
CCD Images
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulabrierley/

Offline Einari

• Poster God
    • Einari's astro pages
« Reply #14 on: 08:45:28, 29 January, 2014 »
Thank you for nomination.
Like all the awarded.
Tapio

Celestron C8, C9.25" & Hyperstar, iOptron CEM60-EC, TS 80 triplet,  Coronado PST, SXV-694,  ASI120MM/ASI174MC Cool

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook