Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Iridium flare in gemini?  (Read 1335 times)

Offline cugsy

• Poster God
  • www.wetshedastronomy.dum
Iridium flare in gemini?
« on: 23:05:53, 14 April, 2014 »
Or a bloody big bright satellite?  While 'goto'ing the lx tonight I used Castor as an alignment star. Whilst peeking through the ep to centre it something about -10 mag nearly blinded me. looked up and there it was passing twixt castor and pollux. 'Bout half past 9 ...ish.  :scared:
Woe unto him ..or her..who tries to guide the LX90. Let him..or her..rejoice in a lightweight scope upon the mighty EQ6. Mind you,I'd sooner be looking through my 6"f8 while the clouds look down the 8"f4 Le marchant configuration. And there should be a constellation called 'Camelot' and I would worship it in the anticipation of a big lottery win. Maybe I'll move to the Isle of Man..damn these drug

Offline Skipper Billy

• My personal astro website
Re: Iridium flare in gemini?
« Reply #1 on: 13:23:19, 15 April, 2014 »
International space station - it passes across the disc of the moon tonight!! 22h 44m 02 s (GMT)
Scopes - 130 Heritage, ES 208mm f3.9 Carbon Hex astrograph, SW ED80 and SW ST80 for guiding
Mount - Skywatcher AZ-EQ6-GT
Cameras - Cameras - Atik 460EX mono and Lodestar for guiding
Website www.davidbanksastro.com

Offline cugsy

• Poster God
« Reply #2 on: 13:31:55, 15 April, 2014 »
Cheers Billy - I'm up for that.
Woe unto him ..or her..who tries to guide the LX90. Let him..or her..rejoice in a lightweight scope upon the mighty EQ6. Mind you,I'd sooner be looking through my 6"f8 while the clouds look down the 8"f4 Le marchant configuration. And there should be a constellation called 'Camelot' and I would worship it in the anticipation of a big lottery win. Maybe I'll move to the Isle of Man..damn these drug

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #3 on: 14:51:35, 15 April, 2014 »
Not from every location! 5 miles either side of the centre line and you'll miss it ;-)
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline cugsy

• Poster God
« Reply #4 on: 17:09:30, 15 April, 2014 »
Let me guess..... :no:

Offline skyhog

• Poster God
« Reply #5 on: 09:53:07, 17 April, 2014 »
Hi Cugsy, was out in the obsy that night and it was definitely a fire ball I saw in that general direction. I made a note of it later though, about an hour later. Very bright and left something of a trail. I was staring at that part of the sky as luck would have it. I would put it at least mag -5, maybe brighter.

Edit.....OOOPS, my observation was the 15th not the 14th...!!!!!!

There seems to have been a few sightings of the fireball on the 15th!!!!

Ed
LX200 12GPS, canon 350D ,unmodded toucam 'Hog hut' obs.

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #6 on: 10:38:46, 17 April, 2014 »
John - if you subscribe to Heavens Above and put in your location you will get emails when the ISS etc are passing overhead and you can also get ones that tell you if there are any Solar/Lunar transits for your location.

It's well worth doing if you're into that sort of thing  ;) :thumbup:

S.

PS.  It can't predict fireballs of course  :tease:
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Dogman

• UKAI Moderator
  • Galactic Poster
  • Near Gloucester
    • http://www.dmiller.demon.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 12:32:27, 17 April, 2014 »
John - if you subscribe to Heavens Above and put in your location you will get emails when the ISS etc are passing overhead and you can also get ones that tell you if there are any Solar/Lunar transits for your location.

Si - did you mean Heavens Above, or Calsky?  I can't see any email options in Heavens Above........
Dunc

Meade LX200 12" Classic, ED80 Pro, PST Ha and PST CaK
Artemis 285 + TrueTech Filter Wheel + Astronomik Filters
MX7C + STAR 2000, Toucam(s)
http://www.dmiller.demon.co.uk/astronomy.htm
MPC Obs Code J68

Offline cugsy

• Poster God
« Reply #8 on: 14:36:24, 17 April, 2014 »
Si - I'm not too bothered. It wasn't natural - it was definitely man made. I did email 'heavens to betsy' but they said go away...

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook