Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Help with deciding please  (Read 1792 times)

Offline TonyF

Help with deciding please
« on: 23:08:14, 29 April, 2014 »
Well its almost time to buy my 1st telescope, I have my mount I purchased a few weeks ago it's a EQ-6 Pro with EQMOD and now going to buy a telescope for it, my main interest is deep sky Astrophotography, I am interested in viewing too but mainly photography, I have had a look on the net at a few but I would like your advice on what you think is best for me, the ones I have looked into is.but if these are no good for what i want to do or there is something better suited please advice me, I will be probably purchasing second hand,with up to £400
Skywatcher Quattro 8”
Skywatcher Explorer-200P DS
Skywatcher Evostar 80 DS-PRO ED

Thanks Tony
EQ-6 Pro mount with EQMOD
Nikon D5100

Offline Einari

• Poster God
    • Einari's astro pages
Re: Help with deciding please
« Reply #1 on: 06:41:52, 30 April, 2014 »
Easiest to learn with ED80 because it has lower focal length which means less demanding tracking tolerance.
And it has value later to use with wider targets.
Many (me including) have two scopes, one for wider targets and one (C8 in my case) for smaller ones.
Both of the Newton scopes are good choices too.
Tapio

Celestron C8, C9.25" & Hyperstar, iOptron CEM60-EC, TS 80 triplet,  Coronado PST, SXV-694,  ASI120MM/ASI174MC Cool

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #2 on: 13:52:12, 30 April, 2014 »
Totally agree with everything Tapio says !

Just about everyone has a ED80 in there collections.... it's a great starter scope for the reasons Tapio gives plus in the future it can be used as the guider cope for a larger/longer focal length scope for the smaller/dimmer DSO's.

Start small... learn the ropes then upgrade to a larger scope with all the additional problems they come with once you've mastered the basics and imaged the objects that a larger focal length scope aren't best suited to !

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline ChrisLX200

• Poster God
  • Macclesfield UK
« Reply #3 on: 14:23:13, 30 April, 2014 »
Tony, do you have any autoguiding gear at the moment? Webcam and 9x50 finder, or something better?

The smaller refractor is easiest to get along with and you're unlikely to exhaust the possibilities with it, although there are times of year when longer focal lengths are more attractive (like Spring). You're using a DSLR (?) as an imaging device so that perhaps lends itself better to wider field subjects anyway. A fast optical system (<f/6) is what you need, the faster the better really to reduce exposure times because a DSLR is not cooled and is subject to background noise more than a cooled dedicated CCD camera. I saw a MN190 for sale on ABS which looked a good deal but exceeds your budget by about £200. A lot of choices but you have a respectable mount which is a good starting point.

ChrisH

Chris Heapy - current: 10-Micron GM2000HPS-II U/P, G11/Gemini, TV NP127is, Altair 8" RC, TV Genesis SDF, TV Pronto, SW Equinox 80ED, 10" LX200, 12" f/5.4 Newt, Vixen 90mm.
Atik 490EX, Atik EFW, Baader LRGB filters, Astrodon 3nM NB filters, Lodestar, QHY5L-II all-sky, Canon 70D and 350D
Whirley Obs., MPC Code Z89

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #4 on: 14:28:35, 30 April, 2014 »
Another vote for the ED80.

All three are very capable and the Quattro (though the CF10" has the legs on the ST8") would be my pick as an out and out imaging tool BUT the ED80 wins by a country mile in terms of user friendliness.

The Quattro focuser is prone to being too stiff or too loose and at f4 the critical focus zone is pretty small. Collimation can be tricky if the basic geometry is out of kilter and can wander a bit and most owners find benefit in flocking the tube. A coma corrector is a must for imaging with a newt. Guiding a scope with an 800mm focal length is more of a challenge than the ED80 and Newts do catch the wind well!

If you dont mind a lot of fiddling, a bit of DIY  and a chunk of frustration then the Quattro is very good and great bang for bucks. If you just want to plonk a scope on a mount, focus it and image, then go for the ED80.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline TonyF

« Reply #5 on: 22:00:19, 30 April, 2014 »
thanks for all your support guys it looks like I'm going to be lookingfor a 80ed then for the ease of it and maybe move to something more advanced when i have gained some experience ;)
EQ-6 Pro mount with EQMOD
Nikon D5100

Offline Phillyo

• Poster God
« Reply #6 on: 21:55:44, 01 May, 2014 »
I started with an 8" f4 newt and I have to say in hindsight I wish I'd gone with an 80 ED. Smaller, easier on a beginner etc. The newts are big bits of kit which require collimation fairly often (if you set up and take down every night like I did). Def go for the ED80
Astrotrac | Avalon Linear Fast Reverse with EQmod | WO Star 71 | Astrodon 3nm Ha, 5nm SII and 5nm OIII | Astro-modded Canon 450D | QSI 583wsg | Lodestar X2 Guidecam | Sequence Generator Pro | Pixinsight

Offline Earl

« Reply #7 on: 17:58:35, 30 July, 2014 »
When you start imaging you dont want the extra frusations of fighting with the gear to get it to work, the refractor route is the most forgiving.

The ED80 in its various badges, Orion, Skywatcher Celestron, is a reliable and prooven scope, its relativly slow optics assist with good colour correction, and the matched reducer works very well.

I have had a few myself over time and my only moan is the focuser, you quiet often need to tweak it to stop it slipping, some replace them alltogether, which quiet often costs over half the price of the scope already, so be prepaired to deal with a potential issue. There are plenty of vids on youtube detailing how to adjust it.

eq6 ed80 are a excelent starting point that will provide good service for many years.

Offline cugsy

• Poster God
  • www.wetshedastronomy.dum
« Reply #8 on: 18:17:34, 30 July, 2014 »
What Phil said - I know from experience ...Mind you, if you get an f4 newt and a swear bottle you'll have loads quite soon for a 6" Apo.   
Woe unto him ..or her..who tries to guide the LX90. Let him..or her..rejoice in a lightweight scope upon the mighty EQ6. Mind you,I'd sooner be looking through my 6"f8 while the clouds look down the 8"f4 Le marchant configuration. And there should be a constellation called 'Camelot' and I would worship it in the anticipation of a big lottery win. Maybe I'll move to the Isle of Man..damn these drug

Offline blinky

• Blinky's Astro Blog
« Reply #9 on: 20:20:40, 30 July, 2014 »
Yep, has to be an ED80 - no collimation to worry about, easier to guide and capable of producing some stunning images - I'm on the lookout for another one at the moment, wish I had never sold mine!

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook