Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Meteor Radar SDR Receiver (usnig FUNcube dongle)  (Read 13388 times)

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
Meteor Radar SDR Receiver (usnig FUNcube dongle)
« on: 01:04:47, 25 July, 2014 »
I'll write this one up properly when I get a minute in the Projects board but after reading in the "How to" section of the Sky@Night magazine on how to build a basic radio telescope to capture meteor strikes I decided to give it a go.... well I've just been sitting here listening to the static for a couple of hours and truly amazingly I've heard and recorded over 30 strikes.... the screen shot below is of the best one of the night that I've just had and on the speaker it sounded like a cat meowing.... it clearly shows the Doppler shift caused by it moving towards (or away, I've yet to work it out) from me.

The setup the reflection off the meteor of a radar signal in Dijon, France so it's strange to think I'm hearing what the people in southern France are seeing.  The one I captured below must have been a belter !

Expect to see this board a little more active from now on (sad to see the last post on here was 3 years ago !!), especially as we're coming to the Perseids peak in the next couple of weeks !

... and the best part of all this... I can do it when it's cloudy and it's imaging of sorts :urock: :urock: :urock: :urock:

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Online chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
Re: Meteor Radar SDR Receiver (usnig FUNcube dongle)
« Reply #1 on: 08:31:23, 25 July, 2014 »
Fascinating. Just a shame you can't see what makes those pings.

As you say, Meteor 11 must have been a belter.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline ChrisLX200

• Poster God
  • Macclesfield UK
« Reply #2 on: 09:13:02, 25 July, 2014 »
That's interesting Simon, by way of co-incidence I'm trying to set mine up again in the Obs. I suppose I will have to search around for new frequencies - I was using analog TV station carrier waves and I used to record from two good ones 24/7 over a period of about two years (last used about 12 years ago!). The interference from increased use of wifi stuff rather killed it trying to record from within the house, maybe I'll have more luck in the Obs.

Fireballs make for interesting traces,

and this is what the peak of the 2003 Quadrantids looked like on the two transmitters,

Anyway, good luck with the project :)

ChrisH
Chris Heapy - current: 10-Micron GM2000HPS-II U/P, G11/Gemini, TV NP127is, Altair 8" RC, TV Genesis SDF, TV Pronto, SW Equinox 80ED, 10" LX200, 12" f/5.4 Newt, Vixen 90mm.
Atik 490EX, Atik EFW, Baader LRGB filters, Astrodon 3nM NB filters, Lodestar, QHY5L-II all-sky, Canon 70D and 350D
Whirley Obs., MPC Code Z89

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #3 on: 09:24:46, 25 July, 2014 »
Yeah, I agree mate about it being a shame you can't get a corresponding visual at the same time but at least I can do it when it's cloudy plus I've just kicked it off again and I've already had five little ones in the first 5 minutes and it's full sunshine  :urock:

I'm just about to order a long pole to mount the yugi aerial on but I think I'll have it as a portable set-up and (oooh, there's another one... see image below) I'll bring it to PSP in October  ;)

Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #4 on: 10:15:53, 25 July, 2014 »
Wow Chris... that's a cracking trace.... who said analogue TV was rubbish !

What software were you using ? It looks like SpecLab but I only just installed it yesterday and all the config files came from S@N website so just getting my head around it. 

I'm currently viewing in 3D but not had a strike yet to get all excited about.  I'm also just trying to work out how I can record the audio output of the "pings"....

S.
Simon

Offline ChrisLX200

• Poster God
  • Macclesfield UK
« Reply #5 on: 10:59:37, 25 July, 2014 »
Wow Chris... that's a cracking trace.... who said analogue TV was rubbish !

What software were you using ? It looks like SpecLab but I only just installed it yesterday and all the config files came from S@N website so just getting my head around it. 

I'm currently viewing in 3D but not had a strike yet to get all excited about.  I'm also just trying to work out how I can record the audio output of the "pings"....

S.

Yes that is SpecLab, but I used HROFFT and something else I can't remember the name of as well. SpecLab also output the audio files, but be warned - doing so takes up lots of disk space. This time of year there's of a lot of Spontaneous 'E' around which used to wipe out the trace during daytime (Heat of sun expands atmosphere leads to spont. E.). My old setup used to upload to the web to provide an real-time online monitoring service.

To be honest I'm struggling to setup SpecLab again myself, desperately rooting about for my old configuration files! I have the program files but the install together with my scripts were on another PC. I hope I don't need to start again from scratch.

ChrisH
Chris Heapy - current: 10-Micron GM2000HPS-II U/P, G11/Gemini, TV NP127is, Altair 8" RC, TV Genesis SDF, TV Pronto, SW Equinox 80ED, 10" LX200, 12" f/5.4 Newt, Vixen 90mm.
Atik 490EX, Atik EFW, Baader LRGB filters, Astrodon 3nM NB filters, Lodestar, QHY5L-II all-sky, Canon 70D and 350D

Offline MikeDunn

« Reply #6 on: 20:16:39, 25 July, 2014 »
Just looked opn the site - I can't see anything about this ?  Can you provide a URL ?

Mike

Offline PaulB

• Galactic Poster
  • Canis Major
    • Paul's Astronomy Pages
« Reply #7 on: 20:42:45, 25 July, 2014 »
As Chris will tell you.
You can also record Aurora and Sporadic E.
Paul.
"Whirlpool Observatory"
Losmandy G11-Gemini L4.
Celestron C9.25.
Megrez 80 ED II Triplet.
Orion OMC 140
Altair 115ED F7
Coronado PST
Atik 428EX
Atik EFW 2
QHY5L-II.
Modded Canon 1000D.
IOptron Mini Tower II
CCD Images
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulabrierley/

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #8 on: 21:33:06, 25 July, 2014 »
Spontanious "E".... sound like an unplanned Friday night out on the town ;-)

Yeap, I had a feeling the audio recording would eat disk space faster than solar imaging... it saves a log file which gives the detail of each strike so maybe I'll have to live with that for now.

So a question Chris.... my trace above shows the trace signal moving from 3000Hz down to 2200Hz with the last part running along 2200Hz... reading the info then because I'm detuned from the actual frequency of the radar in Dijon by 2000Hz any received signal that is greater than 2000Hz is Doppler shifter away so indicates the plasma (meteor) is moving away from me so if I'm right a trace like the one above indicates a meteor that was moving away from me and the reason the trace move from a high frequency to a lower one is indicative of the deceleration as it burns up in the atmosphere. Am I reading that right ?

I also understand that a Doppler shift of 100Hz = 50m/s so when this meteor entered the atmosphere it was doing 500 m/s  (1,800 Km/hr).... awesome !

S.
Simon

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #9 on: 21:35:59, 25 July, 2014 »
Mike - I don't think there much about it on the S@N website... the URL for the config files is: www.skyatnightmagazine.com/cd/config.zip.  All the other info is in the June and July magazines themselves.

S.
Simon

Offline MikeDunn

« Reply #10 on: 22:22:15, 25 July, 2014 »
Sad.

There was a time (pre sell-off ?) when the S@N site was very good ... no longer :(

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #11 on: 08:17:52, 26 July, 2014 »
Looks like fun
Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
    • Stoneage Observatory blog
« Reply #12 on: 19:08:44, 27 July, 2014 »

I also understand that a Doppler shift of 100Hz = 50m/s so when this meteor entered the atmosphere it was doing 500 m/s  (1,800 Km/hr).... awesome !

S.

I think you are an order of magnitude out, in your maths escape velocity for earth is 11km/s anything falling in from space must be going at least that fast, given that meteors are generally in orbit around the sun rather than the earth I would expect them to be going rather faster than that..

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #13 on: 09:42:59, 28 July, 2014 »
I thought that too Ian but that's what it says on the picture in the S@N magazine.... I guess though that it all depends where upon the trajectory the signal originates from.... the diagram below shows that it's aimed to pick it up in the ionosphere (100Km+ height) so it could have slowed considerably before it is detected ?!?  Don't know ?!?

S.
Simon

Offline ChrisLX200

• Poster God
  • Macclesfield UK
« Reply #14 on: 11:17:37, 28 July, 2014 »
Well you don't actually detect the meteor itself of course - just the cloud of ionised gas which is produced as a result of its passage, and that isn't going to moving anywhere near as fast.

PS, anyone got the frequency of that Graves Radar?

ChrisH

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook