Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Meteor Radar SDR Receiver (usnig FUNcube dongle)  (Read 13305 times)

Offline ChrisLX200

• Poster God
  • Macclesfield UK
Re: Meteor Radar SDR Receiver (usnig FUNcube dongle)
« Reply #45 on: 22:50:46, 04 September, 2014 »
I'm running out of ideas on this. 5hrs and nothing, made a a few adjustments along the way but quite limited in what I can change because it's a very simple setup really. With no responses at all I cannot tweak anything to improve things. I know the equipment is OK (and I have two receivers and tried both). So I'm packing this in as a bad job I think.

ChrisH
Chris Heapy - current: 10-Micron GM2000HPS-II U/P, G11/Gemini, TV NP127is, Altair 8" RC, TV Genesis SDF, TV Pronto, SW Equinox 80ED, 10" LX200, 12" f/5.4 Newt, Vixen 90mm.
Atik 490EX, Atik EFW, Baader LRGB filters, Astrodon 3nM NB filters, Lodestar, QHY5L-II all-sky, Canon 70D and 350D
Whirley Obs., MPC Code Z89

Online Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #46 on: 07:19:58, 05 September, 2014 »
Chris - have you tried tilting the Yagi ?  The reason is that it points at the part of the sky that the signal will come from with Graves pointing south and the meteor trails beeing at X thousand feet up in the atmosphere gives an angle of 10deg from mine and the guy who wrote about it latitude (he worked out the trigonometry). I too only have a horizontal bracket which is why I haven't set it up permanently yet but when I got it working I had it sat in the opened jaws of a work bench which pointed it up slightly. It' was not at all scientific but I did get differing hit rates at different angles...
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Online Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #47 on: 07:26:50, 05 September, 2014 »

PS. My understanding is the the detune of 2khz is due to the doppler effect of the moving ion trail. Depending upon which direction it is moving relative to us will set it's detection frequency ? I could of course be talking rubbish but that's what I read .

Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Al.Grant

« Reply #48 on: 11:41:39, 05 September, 2014 »
Chris,

Sorry to hear you're still  having problems.

Not being anything like an expert on this I can only assume that your antenna/receiver are all OK and you can see other signals OK, which obviously proves your hardware.

What direction do you have the Yagi pointing in and is it horizontal or vertical ?   

I've seen some posting that horizontal can help reduce interference, but generally the advice for Graves seems to be to go vertical.

The S@N mag said to point it to the S.E. 
Initially I just pointed it to the SE and didn't see very much (which is what got me questioning that 143028 freq) I then checked the bearing from my location to Graves using this website  http://www.sunearthtools.com/tools/distance.php  and I needed to be more between 145-150 degs. 

I did notice a difference after this small adjustment, I can only assume that has to do with the directional properties of the Yagi (unless it was something else I changed).  Using that website it looks like your location is pretty much along the same bearing as mine. Mine is currently around 148 degs.  Depending on the direction yours is pointing, would a few degrees would make a difference?

Not sure if you've tried the loading the S@N script into Spectrum Lab, doing so sets a number of configs options and a bandpass filter which can be seen using the 'Components' menu. 
Even after that there were a couple of things I needed to change in the settings before I actually got to see anything (like actually selecting my Dongle as the Rx source!). 

When I get home I could let you know the settings I currently have and pass you a copy of the script if you want to give it a try.

Al
Enthusiasm exceeds experience & aspirations exceed budget!
http://www.ukstargazer.org/

Offline ChrisLX200

• Poster God
  • Macclesfield UK
« Reply #49 on: 12:42:37, 05 September, 2014 »
Thanks Al, I'm as sure as I can be that the hardware is working OK, the receivers tune correctly, and yes I can pick up other signals just fine. The only thing I can think of is that I'm simply not getting the Graves signals into the receiver, either because the Antenna is not pointing in quite the right direction (difficult to believe it is THAT directionally sensitive) or the fact I have intervening trees to line of sight which interfere. My old Discone antenna used to be located in my loft so that had line of sight of precisely nothing but it still worked fine. I've tried both my older version of Spectrum and the newest version with the supplied scripts, I prefer my older version because I've written a lot of custom scripts which save data and screen dumps (and also audio if I want), and whilst the newer version has a few more bells and whistles it is otherwise the same. It isn't Spectrum failing to display correctly, you can _hear_ the characteristic pings when you get them over the speakers and they just aren't there. I've tried tuning slightly off-band above and below, USB and LSB, various filters wide and narrow, there's just nothing. If there were even the faintest of traces to work with I could tweak various settings to improve things, but when there is nothing at all you can't do a lot. I will try adjusting the antenna later but I don't have an alternative location other than where it is, so only directional changes. I've tried a range of horizontal bearings between SSE and ESE. The busiest time for meteor pings (when there is no shower) is always in the mornings, it tends to be pretty quiet around 6 in the evening, but even then I would expect to see a couple dozen small hits per hour. Maybe I'm expecting too much after being spoiled with the responses I used to get.

ChrisH
Chris Heapy - current: 10-Micron GM2000HPS-II U/P, G11/Gemini, TV NP127is, Altair 8" RC, TV Genesis SDF, TV Pronto, SW Equinox 80ED, 10" LX200, 12" f/5.4 Newt, Vixen 90mm.
Atik 490EX, Atik EFW, Baader LRGB filters, Astrodon 3nM NB filters, Lodestar, QHY5L-II all-sky, Canon 70D and 350D
Whirley Obs., MPC Code Z89

Offline Al.Grant

« Reply #50 on: 14:05:46, 06 September, 2014 »
Hi Chris,

No idea, I'm getting decent hits and am not really that far to the SE of you.
Not sure about the trees, there are a row of houses just to the back of me in the direction my antenna is pointing.

Can't think of any reason why you're not getting anything - Hopefully you manage to get it sorted.

I'm trying to get the automatic audio trigger set on mine so I can capture a few pings, but not having much look with the trigger at the moment .... a bit of 'trial and error' should sort it!

Al

Offline Al.Grant

« Reply #51 on: 11:51:02, 04 October, 2014 »

Have now managed to get my meteor detector settings sorted out and running fairly stable, apart from one occasion when Spectrum Lab locked up.

Have my audio capture sorted.  Thanks to a modified script somebody sent to me I now have Spec Lab set to count all meteors for the RMOB site, but only take screenshots and audio capture for the longest (duration) and brightest (highest s/n ratio). 

I've also made a quick website ( http://www.ukstargazer.org/meteor-detection/ ) and the screens are auto uploaded.   

I'll probably drop the 60 sec waterfall traces, they work and are useful for me to quickly check if it's all working when I'm at work.  Hit/miss if there's actually anything on the screen.
I've had a quick look at Spec Labs audio streaming, but not got anywhere near getting it working!

Al

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook