Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: Pings from Halley's past...  (Read 2800 times)

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
Pings from Halley's past...
« on: 22:57:18, 21 October, 2014 »
Well, after some very successful meteor watching at PSP I set up again at home last night and kicked it off to try and catch the Orionids peak (driven by Halley's Comet) which occurred over night....

Initial observations yesterday indicated that my set up requires a bit of [re]tuning as I'm not getting as many pings as we were getting at PSP (I think the aerial needs relocating as its currently pointing at and only just clearing a row of houses next door but as it was pitch black / blowing a hooley I thought I'd give it a go anyway).... however looking through the screen captures this evening I've still caught some real ring dingers....

I've still got a bit of playing around to do with the SpecLab script to try and record the sound but the traces pretty much speak for themselves....

Thanks for looking  :thumbup:
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
Re: Pings from Halley's past...
« Reply #1 on: 06:40:39, 22 October, 2014 »
Yabadabadoo!   some very interesting pings there Si  :nerd:
Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #2 on: 08:06:22, 22 October, 2014 »
There sure is mate and here's another one from 4:35am.... shame I didn't hear it, it must have been a stonker !

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #3 on: 08:29:19, 22 October, 2014 »
Holy Moly!
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Phillyo

• Poster God
« Reply #4 on: 08:45:22, 22 October, 2014 »
I can't even pretend to understand what I'm seeing here, but you all seem pretty excited about it so nice one!! :D

Phil
Astrotrac | Avalon Linear Fast Reverse with EQmod | WO Star 71 | Astrodon 3nm Ha, 5nm SII and 5nm OIII | Astro-modded Canon 450D | QSI 583wsg | Lodestar X2 Guidecam | Sequence Generator Pro | Pixinsight

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #5 on: 10:43:23, 22 October, 2014 »
Phil - these are the traces of radio waves that have bounced off plasma trails being left as a meteor falls to earth (in this instance over southern France and at the moment almost certainly remnants of Halley's Comet as we come out of the Orionid's peak on Monday night). 

The shape of it is dependent upon which direction it is falling (denoted by the shift in frequency [Hz] caused by the Doppler effect), how long it lasts (denoted by time [second]) and how big the meteor and therefore resulting plasma trail surface area is (denoted by amplitude [dB] ).

More information and a detailed categorisation can be found here (http://www.qsl.net/g0isw/g0iswradioastronomy.htm) and scroll half way down.

I'm getting a lot of aircraft at the moment but I am on the transatlantic / Irish flight path so to be expected.

Hope that helps.... it's great fun and works when cloudy too - result !

S.
Simon

Offline Phillyo

• Poster God
« Reply #6 on: 12:35:28, 22 October, 2014 »
Ahhh that's cool man!! Even better that it can be done when it's cloudy haha plenty of time to practise ;)

Phil
Astrotrac | Avalon Linear Fast Reverse with EQmod | WO Star 71 | Astrodon 3nm Ha, 5nm SII and 5nm OIII | Astro-modded Canon 450D | QSI 583wsg | Lodestar X2 Guidecam | Sequence Generator Pro | Pixinsight

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #7 on: 12:53:31, 22 October, 2014 »
Practice... with the amount of cloud I get here I'm already a seasoned amateur  :laugh: :duh: 
Simon

Offline Al.Grant

« Reply #8 on: 13:55:23, 22 October, 2014 »
Very nice!

I've had a couple of issues with my detector over the past 48hrs but seems to be back working now.

Picked this up this morning:

I like the 3d images in SpecLab and would use it if I could find a way to include the 's/n' and 'dur' info on the screen grab.

Al

Enthusiasm exceeds experience & aspirations exceed budget!
http://www.ukstargazer.org/

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #9 on: 17:58:20, 22 October, 2014 »
What time was that trace captured Al as I think it's the same one I got above....

You can also add the time stamp to the top left box by just going to the Screen Capture menu option and adding hh-mm-ss in the date line in the Screen Capture tab.

Can you post on here the script that sets the S:N, Frequency and Duration and I'll have a play to see if I can get it on the 3D chart ?!

S.
Simon

Offline Al.Grant

« Reply #10 on: 14:18:24, 23 October, 2014 »
What time was that trace captured Al as I think it's the same one I got above....

You can also add the time stamp to the top left box by just going to the Screen Capture menu option and adding hh-mm-ss in the date line in the Screen Capture tab.

Can you post on here the script that sets the S:N, Frequency and Duration and I'll have a play to see if I can get it on the 3D chart ?!

S.

Hi,
The image was captured on 22 Oct - I have my Spectrum Lab set to display GMT on the waterfall, so that time of 10:26:15 is actually 11:26:15.

I'm at work at the moment so can't get hold of the current script until I get home.  But I'm not sure there is anything in the script that specifically covers the 3D screen.

I think the only way it may be possible is via the 'String expression for readout-cursor' box on the SL Spectrum(4) tab of the Config & display control window.  That's the one thing on that screen I've not really played around with. 

The script I'm using is a modified version of the one available here: http://cmhas.wikispaces.com/slmeteor
The modifications (not done by me) allow tweaking of the script to only capture images & audio above a certain level (based on duration).  All detections get counted towards my RMOB data but only the biggest get recorded, meaning far less images to trawl through each day.

The script also takes additional screen shots of the Brightest (highest s:n) and the Longest (Duration) meteors for the current 24hr period and these then get automatically uploaded to my website.   It also show the Longest hit of the current month ..... however that resets if I restart SL.

At the moment it's also taking a screen grab every 60 secs but this will be turned off again shortly as I only intend to have that running during periods of expected high activity, like meteor showers.   

I've been looking at enabling a live audio stream to my website, but not even close to getting that working yet  :(

Al

Offline Al.Grant

« Reply #11 on: 12:49:35, 24 October, 2014 »

S.

Hi,

The script I'm currently using can be found here:  https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14166007/00_MeteorLogger_SD_2014-10-02fin.TXT

I had a look last night and still can't get the s:n & dur on 3D screen, so I'll probably stick with the waterfall.  But interested if you can find a way to add that info to the 3D.
Line 50 contains the string for the info printed on screen.

I tried running 2 copies of SL, one with the waterfall and one with the 3D and although it was working fine, my ageing PC wasn't up to running both copies along with auto ftp uploads for long periods!

I've now got the Noise & Peak Amp showing on the top left box. I'm going to look at printing the s:n & dur in that box as that should work fine on the 3D screen, but might be a problem with multiple detection.  Prob needs limiting to max values.

Did your system capture this one earlier this morning (05:58 GMT) - almost 40sec long:

Al

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #12 on: 21:45:00, 24 October, 2014 »
Jeezus... was it that big... I did catch it but I started to record the screen grab too soon and missed half of it.... it must have been a stunning sight down in France and I really do need to get my audio recordings sorted out as it mush have been quite a ping !

Cheers fro the script detail Al.... I'll have a play when I get back from my hols next week.

S.
Simon

Offline psjshep

• Phil, who still has a job
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • My god! It's full of stars.... just not here often
    • Some astro Pics
« Reply #13 on: 21:58:59, 24 October, 2014 »
Jeez... boys.... maybe you should start helping out the Swedes with their submarine problem  :suspious:

Phil
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Web Images

Offline Al.Grant

« Reply #14 on: 11:03:35, 25 October, 2014 »
Jeezus... was it that big... I did catch it but I started to record the screen grab too soon and missed half of it.... it must have been a stunning sight down in France and I really do need to get my audio recordings sorted out as it mush have been quite a ping !

Cheers fro the script detail Al.... I'll have a play when I get back from my hols next week.

S.

I didn't have my audio on for that one either, the script does allow me to only capture audio/images for the larger detections based on the duration.  I really should switch it back on! 

I did have a look at including the freq in the label (top left) and got it working on the 3D, but soon decided that although the 3D version looks really cool I actually prefer the longer trace I get with the waterfall.
I usually have around a 90 sec trace and have also split the screen (as in the last image) to show one zoomed in on my detection freq and another wider trace which gives good displays of things like the ISS when it passes through the Graves beam.  Also useful when I'm trying to track down sources of interference.

If you want to give that script a try it's fairly easy to tweak to suit your system, the only things you need to adjust should be the THRESHOLD, LOW/HIGH (line 5)  and the M_Big values (lines 40,41,42). It also needs a /meteorlog/upload directory in the Spec Lab install dir - I think that everything, but just shout if you have any questions.
The /upload dir is only really needed if you want to auto ftp the latest images to a web site/server.

On the subject of interference, if anybody has 5 mins and could look here:  http://www.ukstargazer.org/meteor/non-meteors-noise/ 
I've posted a few examples of some of the more regular interference/noise/non-meteor detections I get.  Interested if anybody has any thoughts on what they are.

Jeez... boys.... maybe you should start helping out the Swedes with their submarine problem  :suspious:

Phil

Those Swedish guys don't mess around when there's a sub in their waters.  I was in the Royal Navy for 23 years and was in the area around the Karlskrona naval base in 1980 (suddenly feels very, very old) when they were hunting a suspected Russian midget sub.  They moved us to a clear location whist their helo's dropped live depth charges ... BaBoom! 
They didn't get anything on that occasion but a year later the Russians were caught red handed when a sub ran aground on the rocks nr Karlskrona  :pirate:

Al

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook