Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Skywatcher Star Adventurer  (Read 2960 times)

Offline JamesB

Skywatcher Star Adventurer
« on: 21:27:10, 03 December, 2014 »
Just got one of the above yesterday, the "Astro Imaging Mount Photo Bundle" I would have liked to give a "First Light" report but since the only light I can see at night is the reflection of street lights from low, thick, cloud that will have to wait. However a couple of things that might help someone, somewhere:

The mount does not come with a tripod of course but, many years ago I bought a Meade ETX 105 EC. The tripod from this has two bolts, with handles, to attach the base of the ETX control box to the tripod plate. Either one of these screws will attach wedge part of the mount to the ETX tripod. Since the two mounting bolts on the ETX tripod are off set, I had thought of drilling a hole through the middle of the tripod plate but this doesn't seem necessary. It seems quite sturdy. In addition, I have demounted the ETX OTA from its forks and very conveniently, it has two threaded holes in a raised section underneath its OTA, either of which accepts the screw fitting in the short end of the dovetail L-Bracket of the SSA (At the other end of said bracket is my Nikon D5100 mounted on a -separately purchased-ball head -. This will allow me to use the ETX as both a guide and a visual scope. As far as I can tell, everything works - the mount rotates correctly fires off my DSLR when it should and I look forward to some clear skies so that I can test the setup fully. So far I have to say I am much impressed with the build quality and versatility of the SSA.

Jim
Speak slowly, I only have a few brain cells left

Offline psjshep

• Phil, who still has a job
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • My god! It's full of stars.... just not here often
    • Some astro Pics
Re: Skywatcher Star Adventurer
« Reply #1 on: 14:37:14, 05 December, 2014 »
Thanks for the report, Jim.... :thumbup:

Let us know when you get a 1st light.... & fingers crossed

Phil
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Web Images

Offline JamesB

« Reply #2 on: 22:36:49, 11 December, 2014 »
First attempt. with Nikon D5100 with 300mm lens ISO 500. 12 x 60 images. Careless with getting focus, forgot to tighten locking screws after easy polar alignment and a rather too rapid processing attempt! Missed the goto facility but with the aid of Starry Night to recognise star patterns and estimating Az & Dec. I managed to find the Galaxies. The good thing is I noticed no drift at all during several hours of playing with the Star Watcher. Given all the errors etc I now I know I can get very much better results and can't wait to have another go!

Jim :-)

Offline JamesB

« Reply #3 on: 22:39:43, 11 December, 2014 »
Hmm, don't now why only part of image is displayed above, It really does show the poor focus - I'll get it right next time! but it looks a lot better if you click "View Image"

J

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #4 on: 07:54:19, 12 December, 2014 »
Jim

The image is all there, its just too big to display properly. If you do a re-size to something like 1000x750 it is a better fit and it allows you to post the image at a lower jpg compression.

Great start though but yes focus is a fraction off.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline JamesB

« Reply #5 on: 10:02:00, 12 December, 2014 »
Thanks for that Chris. I'll remember size IS important! :-)

Offline SunBlack

• The Regulars
  • Poster God
    • https://www.facebook.com/luca.sunblack
« Reply #6 on: 22:25:26, 24 January, 2016 »
Hi all, Which thread has the S.A. counterweight shaft? M8? M8x1? M8x1.5 or what?
Luca ~  Coronado Solarmax II 60mm BF15 + Hutech astro modded Canon 5D mkIII + Canon 6d modded Super UV/IR (Tamron 15-30/2.8 VC, Nikon AIS 50/1.8, Canon 85/1.8, Nikon AF ED 180/2.8, Canon 300/4 IS ) + PaintShop 10&X7, PhotoShop CS2, Deep Sky Stacker, NoiseWare, Pixinsight Le

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook