Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Question about PHD calibration  (Read 1130 times)

Offline griz11

• Starting Member
Question about PHD calibration
« on: 01:18:22, 29 January, 2015 »
Finally was able to test out my guider last night. Things went really smoothly but I have a question. When PHD starts the calibration it puts up two lines that cross where the guide star is. Question is when it makes the moves is the star supposed to follow those lines stay on top of them? I was thinking maybe that is the way you would know to rotate the camera slightly to get everything aligned. Is this the case or does the software account for it?

Griz
Losmandy StarLapse and Dec Module -- Argo Navis -- Canon 7D and 7DMkII -- EF400 f5.6L USM -- EF40 f2.8 STM -- EF70-200 f4 USM -- Tamron SP 70-300 f4-5.6 VI DC -- ADM dual saddle -- Mini Borg guidescope -- Lodestar guider astrobin.com/griz11 pbase.com/griz11

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Swash Astro
Re: Question about PHD calibration
« Reply #1 on: 01:34:26, 29 January, 2015 »
Hi Griz, the software will calculate the offsets, so it isnt really important, but I find that it just makes life simpler if your cam orientation is close to the orientation of the mount
Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
« Reply #2 on: 08:59:50, 29 January, 2015 »
That's the good thing about PHD,  It's self calibrating. 

As Ade said It doesn't make much difference but you can rotate the cam so it does follow the lines.

Roger
Scopes - TS65q, W/O 110 Triplet
Mount - EQ6 PRO via  Eqmod,  Rowan belt modded
Cameras - SX694, QSI583WSG,Lodestar Guidecam, GP-Cam, QHY5II.
TS 9mm OAG
Quantum 7x1.25 EFW, Baader LRGB,Ha,OIII,SII Filters 
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

************AND NO TIME TO USE IT************

Offline griz11

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: 19:02:48, 30 January, 2015 »
I need to read up on dec guiding. I used the auto setting and I was getting some serious overshoot in that axis. Also found out about 3-d balance and how it helps. I went back and rebalanced mine that way and it wasn't correct the first time using an axis at a time. Kinda scary with everything loose all at once but I'll get used to it. Once you get close to the balance point its not bad but if its way out look out  First time I've used a dual saddle so thats something else I need to get a feel for. The way my rig is made you can start off simple and add as you need too. So I've been adding one piece at a time and getting that working before moving on. But with the guider upgrade I had to get the other axis dual saddle guidescope and camera and different electronics. A lot more to figure out all at once. Things have gone pretty smooth though I can't complain.

Griz
Losmandy StarLapse and Dec Module -- Argo Navis -- Canon 7D and 7DMkII -- EF400 f5.6L USM -- EF40 f2.8 STM -- EF70-200 f4 USM -- Tamron SP 70-300 f4-5.6 VI DC -- ADM dual saddle -- Mini Borg guidescope -- Lodestar guider astrobin.com/griz11 pbase.com/griz11

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #4 on: 10:49:31, 01 February, 2015 »
Sounds like you're climbing your way up the learning curve nicely Griz !!

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline griz11

• Starting Member
« Reply #5 on: 00:54:32, 04 February, 2015 »
Yep lots of time for an old retired guy to study up on this stuff and we've had English weather here this year so no time under the stars. Looks like 5 days of sunshine coming up in a few days. My rig has gotten much more complex.

Did a plot of the tracking first night I had the guider out. Very pleased with it.

I'll have an Ha filter soon. They are so expensive for a tiny piece of glass in the case of the clip in type. But I love the detail they produce and being able to shoot effectively while the moon is up. Waiting on the big gotcha but so far it hasn't reared its head. Hopefully by this time next week I can post some more shots.

Griz

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook