Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: How to calculate the area of a multi-telescope systems like VLT?  (Read 801 times)

Offline nichendrix

I didn't know how to post it, so this is the closest place I could think of, if it's not appropriate, please feel free to move or close.

How you calculate how many smaller telescopes are necessary to capture an image equivalent to a bigger telescope? Is there a formula for it?

Thanks

Nicholas

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
Re: How to calculate the area of a multi-telescope systems like VLT?
« Reply #1 on: 07:46:02, 22 April, 2015 »
Nicholas

I don't think arrays like the VLT work quite like that as in interferometer (VLTi) mode there are combinations of some of the main unit telescopes with the smaller auxiliaries. This increases angular resolutions to an incredible degree but I think it only works in the infrared spectrum like this. Most of the work is done with the single unit telescopes.

The main thing about an array of telescopes is the extra speed of data collection.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Darkstarshado

« Reply #2 on: 08:07:24, 22 April, 2015 »
Chris is right, the technique is called 'very long baseline interferometry' - wiki link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-long-baseline_interferometry
Cheers,
--
Rob
Paramount ME, Orion Optics(UK) VX14, Skywatcher150p, Skywatcher ED100. Canon 450D,350D, Atik One 6.0, Lodestar X2, QHY5LII, DMK21, Roll-off obs.

Offline Bazzaar

• Poster God
« Reply #3 on: 20:38:43, 22 April, 2015 »
It depends what you mean by equivalent image.
Bigger scopes capture more light allowing dimmer objects to be seen, they also have better resolution for smaller details.
The light capture is proportional to the area of the mirror and the resolution to the diameter. Area is proportional to diameter squared so doubling a mirror size gives twice the resolution but four times the light.
So you would need four 1m scopes to give the same image as a 2m scope.
Barry
Tal 200k, SW 200P, iOptron iEQ45 pro, HEQ5 pro, QHY5III174m, QHY5L II mono, Samsung SBC 2001, SharpSky focuser, Zwo ADC,  Celestron 15x70 bins,

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook