Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Northern Lights trip  (Read 771 times)

Offline roblewis

Northern Lights trip
« on: 10:12:25, 24 July, 2015 »
I am considering a trip in the New Year to see the Northern Lights probably to Iceland. I have looked at the Astronomy Tours program but at £1500 looks a bit expensive. There are several tour companies advertising trips at much less. Does anyone have any recommendations or experience regarding alternative tour companies. Your advice would be much appreciated. Many thanks.
Robert Lewis
Meade LX200R 10" on EQ6 Bresser Messier 6" refractor  Revelation 80 Philips Toucam DMK21AF04 Atik 16ic

Offline Annie

• Poster God
Re: Northern Lights trip
« Reply #1 on: 10:26:32, 24 July, 2015 »
Hi Rob - I went to Iceland last January on a photography workshop with Tatra Photography and it was excellent.  Well organised - in fact we saw the lights when other tours weren't in the right place at the right time - a really good Icelandic guide and an excellent pro photographer - Max Bauer who is also part of a company called Dawn2Dusk which can also be highly recommended.  I think you'll find trips in January on there website just a little less expensive than £1500.  I went to Yosemite with them this year - also excellent.  The guy who owns the company - Matt Jevons goes on the workshops as leader.  Expect to be very cold and have little sleep  as there's also the opportunity to photograph some spectacular landscapes during the day.

Hope this helps.

Annie
Pulsar Observatory; NEQ6/EQ6 wedge; HEQ5 Pro; TS Star 71 Astrograph; Takahashi FSQ 106ed; Skymax 150 Pro; Nikon D600; Canon 550D modified; Canon 5D Mk11; ZWO ASI120 MM-S; Lacerta MGEN stand alone guider.

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #2 on: 10:46:45, 27 July, 2015 »
Rob - I'm keen to do the same thing so interested to know how you get on or even join forces to arrange something ?

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #3 on: 13:02:49, 27 July, 2015 »
Meant to say the Tatra workshops in January are specifically for the Northern Lights - the day-time landscapes are just a bonus.  They've been running them for a number of years now and the guy who organises them whilst not the pro-photographer on the workshops is a good and keen Northern Lights photographer.

Annie
Pulsar Observatory; NEQ6/EQ6 wedge; HEQ5 Pro; TS Star 71 Astrograph; Takahashi FSQ 106ed; Skymax 150 Pro; Nikon D600; Canon 550D modified; Canon 5D Mk11; ZWO ASI120 MM-S; Lacerta MGEN stand alone guider.

Offline roblewis

« Reply #4 on: 23:30:17, 31 July, 2015 »
Thanks for your replies. Have only just got back to this site. Have decided to book with Astronomy Tours second week Jan 2016 as it looks like a good package. After all it would be a major lifetime experience and something I can cross off my bucket list. The next is the total solar eclipse in the USA 2017. Will let you know how I get on.
Robert
Meade LX200R 10" on EQ6 Bresser Messier 6" refractor  Revelation 80 Philips Toucam DMK21AF04 Atik 16ic

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook