Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Celestron CG-5 custom motor / electronics plastic enclosures... thoughts??  (Read 2039 times)

Offline bpm

• Starting Member
    • CNC Modeller
Well hello again all...

It's been a long while since I've looked for cloudless skies at night, partly because of life (children), a second degree, and other annoyances (work etc) getting in the way, but also because I sold my old motorized EQ5 mount after I inherited a CG-5 Goto mount that needed some work to get it running (dec motor encoder, motor board, and plastic enclosures).

Having recently had some time off work due to ill health I decided it was time to start doing all those things I've wanted to but didn't have the time. So the CG-5 has come out of its box and has been given a new lease of life, some spare parts thanks to ebay and FLO and as the OEM plastics seemed a little flimsy and poorly secured I've designed and 3D printed these enclosures.

The question is have I made any obvious mistakes. I've kept the rotation of the mount clear of fouls (specifically both axis "free wheel" locks), and I think the new enclosures will only clash in situations when the OEM ones would have (give or take). Obviously I will be setting up the travel limits of the mount to allow for these.

Any constructive feedback would be more than welcome,

Cheers
Barry M
Celestron CG-5 with PC control, Nikon D70 with PC control,
OEM TouCam 2 Pro (SPC900 FW), LX n Cooled Mod SPC900.

Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher guide-scope, Antares EPs & Filters + Skyglow, Vixen 2" flip, red dot finder, apo barlow, Mead Illuminated Reticule, home brew focus mask, 6" Glass Solar Filter.

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
A very neat job I would say Barry and just in time for the return of some proper darkness.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
Very smart indeed
Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
Good skills - job jobbed !

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline ChrisLX200

• Poster God
  • Macclesfield UK
Nice job Barry, which 3D printer do you have, the finish looks very good.

ChrisH
Chris Heapy - current: 10-Micron GM2000HPS-II U/P, G11/Gemini, TV NP127is, Altair 8" RC, TV Genesis SDF, TV Pronto, SW Equinox 80ED, 10" LX200, 12" f/5.4 Newt, Vixen 90mm.
Atik 490EX, Atik EFW, Baader LRGB filters, Astrodon 3nM NB filters, Lodestar, QHY5L-II all-sky, Canon 70D and 350D
Whirley Obs., MPC Code Z89

Offline bpm

• Starting Member
    • CNC Modeller

ChrisH
Thanks for the kind words folks.

It's a Wahhao Duplicator 4s Chris printed with PLA.

Cheers
Barry M

Skywatcher ED80, Skywatcher guide-scope, Antares EPs & Filters + Skyglow, Vixen 2" flip, red dot finder, apo barlow, Mead Illuminated Reticule, home brew focus mask, 6" Glass Solar Filter.

Offline ChrisLX200

• Poster God
  • Macclesfield UK

ChrisH
Thanks for the kind words folks.

It's a Wahhao Duplicator 4s Chris printed with PLA.

Cheers
Barry M

I just Googled that, amazing how these things have developed recently, much better results now.

ChrisH
Chris Heapy - current: 10-Micron GM2000HPS-II U/P, G11/Gemini, TV NP127is, Altair 8" RC, TV Genesis SDF, TV Pronto, SW Equinox 80ED, 10" LX200, 12" f/5.4 Newt, Vixen 90mm.
Atik 490EX, Atik EFW, Baader LRGB filters, Astrodon 3nM NB filters, Lodestar, QHY5L-II all-sky, Canon 70D and 350D

Offline bpm

• Starting Member
    • CNC Modeller
I just Googled that, amazing how these things have developed recently, much better results now.

ChrisH

Yes Chris it is,
                    I built a 3D printer myself first as an add on to my CNC mill but then over 6 months of having a 50% success rate with really slow builds and dubious quality I realised that the semi professional units are built the way they are for a reason... so I splashed the cash and haven't really looked back.

It's great now, if I want an eyepiece cover or funny little box to store a widget in I just cad it up and print it... sorted :-). The more complex stuff is just as easy, it just takes longer to design and a couple of prototype prints to perfect.

My next project is an ASCOM compliant stepper driven focuser, I've got the hardware and 50% of the driver sorted the penny dropped on the driver code yesterday. I will be designing the (to be 3D printed) enclosure / mountings for my ED80 and guide-scope once I've got the stepper homing and traveling appropriately from focus max. So far my driver is appearing in the Choose tool so its a start, onward... :-)

Clear Skies to all...

Barry M

Offline ChrisLX200

• Poster God
  • Macclesfield UK
Dammit, you got me seriously thinking about this now. LOL!  All previous examples of 3D printers I've seen (nearly all kit versions because commercial units were too pricey) the results were, well just pants. I thought they were clever gizmos but the finished product was rough, and folk were having difficulty getting the things to run reliably (temperature, feed rate, nozzles blocked, electronics failing, all sorts of issues...). Now I'm looking around for space where I might fit one.

ChrisH

Offline bpm

• Starting Member
    • CNC Modeller
Dammit, you got me seriously thinking about this now. LOL!  All previous examples of 3D printers I've seen (nearly all kit versions because commercial units were too pricey) the results were, well just pants. I thought they were clever gizmos but the finished product was rough, and folk were having difficulty getting the things to run reliably (temperature, feed rate, nozzles blocked, electronics failing, all sorts of issues...). Now I'm looking around for space where I might fit one.

ChrisH

Don't get me wrong Chris, all of that stuff still applies but once you've got it dialled in the newer machines just seem to stay dialled in. There is the usual nausea of tweaking temperatures and printing calibration objects... you will need to learn the trade to get good prints.

I've had one nozzle clog but that's usually down to how good your filament is (i.e. is it really what you think or has it been contaminated with another plastic).

Another big thing that I didn't expect is that the software you use to create the machine code to run the printer makes a big difference I paid for Simplify3D (it did make me feel a little I'll!) have a look on my blog and you can see the difference it made; http://bpmsl4.wix.com/cncmodeller/. If you look at the older posts youll see my homebrew effort too

All that said just do it you might swear at it to start with but you wont regret it in 6 months time.

Cheers
Barry M

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook