Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Potential Observatory Project  (Read 7745 times)

Offline Atik Man

• Galactic Poster
Re: Potential Observatory Project
« Reply #30 on: 21:51:03, 12 October, 2015 »
Sounds like you've been playing in Titan or Gaping Gill, Simon?? 
But yes, it's used very successfully underground and is the preferences method of fixing bolts.
Good stuff it is.

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #31 on: 23:30:20, 14 October, 2015 »
Sounds like you've been playing in Titan or Gaping Gill, Simon??

Yeap, many years ago before wife/kids etc.... did Gaping Gill on SRT in my final year of college (I was chairman of Sheffield Poly Caving club)... one of the best experiences of my life (and bloody hard work).  Even back then though most of the main SRT caves in the UK had moved over to P Bolts using resin... made life a whole lot easier as we didn't have to screw our own hangers into the old 8mm rawl plugs which had a nasty habit of stripping and popping out which was never good for ones nerves !

Happy days.

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Atik Man

• Galactic Poster
« Reply #32 on: 21:10:06, 15 October, 2015 »
Ever rigged to a 200 year old stemple? With not much for backup. Nah, me either, but I was with a man that did and he wondered why I didn't follow him down the 85ft pitch in Odin's Mine; Castleton.   

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #33 on: 21:48:48, 15 October, 2015 »
Lol... Actually something makes me think I probably have  :rofl: :duh: Nope, only jokin.... very wise not to follow. Were you SRT or hardcore ladder? After doing Barpot into the easegill system on ladder I vowed never to touch one again.

Right, back to resin fix.. sorry Peter for slight deviation  :thumbup:
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Atik Man

• Galactic Poster
« Reply #34 on: 21:51:18, 15 October, 2015 »
Hate ladders!!  :) SRT  all the way.

We both advocate RESIN...  :)

Offline peterr

« Reply #35 on: 19:48:08, 09 January, 2016 »
Can't believe it's the 15th October since I last posted on this, I spent the last 2 months travelling all over the world for work so I'm playing catch up with getting some imaging done though it does not look I've missed much with the dreadful weather.
Anyway, finally got to assemble the manufactured plates, holes were drilled out today on the pier, cleaned out and a trip to screwfix to get some Fischer 380 resin recommended by Chris means I'm good to go tomorrow to drop it onto the concrete pier and finally get to start assembling all the bits.  Electrics and network cable are already all run to the house.
I've been having nightmares about the filter wheel, OAG and 460 EX hanging off the telescope with the Skywatcher dual speed focuser and slipping and even though it's a uprated focuser Santa Claus was kind enough to bring me a Moonlite CR2 focuser.  I've read some reviews that can these can be a pain to collomate with an 190NM but man these focusers are a thing of beauty.  Guess I'm partly responsible for some bad weather  :D
Working on an Arduino focuser for the Moonlite but i'll make that a story for another thread.

Peter
Sky-Watcher Explorer 190nm, AZ-EQ6, Lodestar X2, Atik 460EX, SX FW, SX OAG, Baader 1.25" LRGB + HaSIIOIII, Canon EOS 500D Unmodified, Orion ST80

Offline peterr

« Reply #36 on: 16:54:02, 10 January, 2016 »
Pier adapters finally sunk into the concrete with resin now attention turns to the Obsy itself albeit with the weather currently I'm thinking that will be another year before it's completed.

Sky-Watcher Explorer 190nm, AZ-EQ6, Lodestar X2, Atik 460EX, SX FW, SX OAG, Baader 1.25" LRGB + HaSIIOIII, Canon EOS 500D Unmodified, Orion ST80

Offline tomhow

• Tom How
  • Galactic Poster
  • Making equipment is far more fun than buying it.
    • The Curdridge Observatory
« Reply #37 on: 19:24:18, 10 January, 2016 »
These things do take a long time. If it wasn't for the superb spell of weather we had last April coinciding with a week of holiday I'd probably still be working on mine now.

Look on the bright side, you might not have an enclosed observatory, but you already have a great permanent pier outside to use and enjoy,
Tak Sky 90, Atik 490, Homemade Mount, OAG, Lodestar

The Curdridge Observatory

Offline peterr

« Reply #38 on: 19:16:01, 14 January, 2016 »
I need a beer already.

As it's a clear night I checked I could see Polaris and decided to put the mount on the new pier to align it for the first time.   Look through polar scope hole, nothing.   Moved it left, right, up, down, nothing, queue lots of sweating and panicking.   Have I screwed up my pier plate alignment, now thinking what's changed since before I fixed the plates in.  Checked mount settings all good.  And then I look up, hold on where the hell has Polaris gone??, behind a beeping cloud.  99.9% of the sky is clear except the 0.1% in front of Polaris!  Once it cleared looked through the scope hole hole and it's bang in the middle.  Stressed for a minutes there! :-)

Offline peterr

« Reply #39 on: 15:38:24, 21 January, 2016 »
Anyone have experience with these USB over Cat 5/6 type devices, any good?.  http://www.startech.com/uk/Cards-Adapters/USB-2/USB-Extenders/usb-over-cat5-cat6-extender~USB2004EXTV

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #40 on: 16:17:35, 21 January, 2016 »
Not too sure about the Startech ones but good reports of the Icron Ranger though £££. At star parties I use one of these http://www.lindy.co.uk/cables-adapters-c1/usb-c449/usb-extension-c1505/8m-usb-2-0-active-extension-cable-pro-p496 and it has been very reliable. As you probably know the Lodestar is very USB sensitive and likes a short USB lead from the nearest hub. Its likely to be the component which complains most!

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline peterr

« Reply #41 on: 12:52:57, 22 January, 2016 »
Thanks Chris, I already have a couple of 5m USB extenders and was undecided about dropping this into the cabling conduit or or go with the USB Cat 5/6 options and use the network cabling option already run out to the pier.  Actually I may go with both options then there is plenty of resilience.

Peter

Offline peterr

« Reply #42 on: 21:27:48, 31 August, 2016 »
Well it's been a while since I last posted but been busy finally getting this obsy project underway.  I have abandoned the round metal frame from the original start of this thread and gone with a roll-off design roof.  It's been slow progress to this point due to the slope of the garden and foundations of an old garden wall that I had to dig out to fit the frame.  Due to the slope the base has had a levelling concrete pour, then a secondary level concrete smooth pour for the frame to sit on.
Base frame is now in and as you can see from the photo the pipes and cables are now going in before I put the cross members in and lock the joists.

For the folks that have been down this road before is it worth a few coats of creosote before the floor goes down?.

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #43 on: 22:09:21, 31 August, 2016 »
Looking good.

If the timber has already been treated I would not add creosote as well. Treated timber likes to breath and creosote blocks the surface pores so can actually make matter worse.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline peterr

« Reply #44 on: 16:33:26, 23 October, 2016 »
Okay, so very late to the game with this project and finally a free weekend.
Had to re-work the wiring so that's also lost me a few weeks.

Floor is now down and all 4 sides built so just waiting for the next free weekend to assemble.  Shiplap has also arrived so the back panel will get shiplap fixed whilst on the floor and some timber care, this will save trying to get around the narrow gap.

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook