Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Struggling with M31  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Phillyo

• Poster God
Struggling with M31
« on: 22:55:21, 01 October, 2015 »
I'm really struggling to process this M31 data  >:(. I'm not even sure where I'm going wrong but I just can't seem to get it how I like it. Maybe I don't have good data?? I've uploaded the files to drop box here https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yjgj9bhjjop7dql/AAAUn41XQPkgq35KoRXZYoM0a?dl=0 so if anyone is bored and wants to have a play with the data then please do and post your results here.

Data contains

Approx 2.5 hours of Blue
Approx 2 hours of Red
Approx 2 hours of Green
Approx 2 hours of Lum
Approx 5 hours of Ha

Good luck :(

Phil
Astrotrac | Avalon Linear Fast Reverse with EQmod | WO Star 71 | Astrodon 3nm Ha, 5nm SII and 5nm OIII | Astro-modded Canon 450D | QSI 583wsg | Lodestar X2 Guidecam | Sequence Generator Pro | Pixinsight

Offline Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
Re: Struggling with M31
« Reply #1 on: 00:25:19, 02 October, 2015 »
Can you post what you have done Phil ?   

I'm having a go but the laptop doesn't like it. 

Roger
Scopes - TS65q, W/O 110 Triplet
Mount - EQ6 PRO via  Eqmod,  Rowan belt modded
Cameras - SX694, QSI583WSG,Lodestar Guidecam, GP-Cam, QHY5II.
TS 9mm OAG
Quantum 7x1.25 EFW, Baader LRGB,Ha,OIII,SII Filters 
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

************AND NO TIME TO USE IT************

Offline Phillyo

• Poster God
« Reply #2 on: 07:57:41, 02 October, 2015 »
It's on the PC at home but I have a couple of different versions, none of which I'm really happy with. I can't get a smooth image, they all look really dirty and gritty. It might just be my location shooting from my backgarden and to get really good data I'd need to go to a much darker site?

Phil
Astrotrac | Avalon Linear Fast Reverse with EQmod | WO Star 71 | Astrodon 3nm Ha, 5nm SII and 5nm OIII | Astro-modded Canon 450D | QSI 583wsg | Lodestar X2 Guidecam | Sequence Generator Pro | Pixinsight

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #3 on: 09:24:40, 02 October, 2015 »
Phil

One issue is that there is a big difference in the L and B star FWHM compared to the R and G (see below) leading to blue halos when you push the colour and fat stars when you then do an LRGB combine. On LRGB its pretty critical that the star FWHM's are in the same area. Imaging different filters on different nights or just a slight focus shift or not re-focusing on filter changes can do this though it looks to me like a focus issue.

You could try doing decon to try and match the images better but I have had limited success and getting noise out of the equation is an issue.

I don't see a lot of noise in the frames and running MLT after DBE on the mono frames with (3.0,0.8, 2.0:0.7:1.0,0.6:0.5,0.5) as the NR settings does a good job of reducing it further. I quite like doing the first round of NR on the mono frames before doing the combine as it leads to less Chroma noise after the stretch.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Phillyo

• Poster God
« Reply #4 on: 11:29:38, 02 October, 2015 »
Hmm that's really interesting Chris, thanks again. I guess I may have to go back and collect some different data for Lum and Blue then. It'll have to wait now though as I've removed the LRGB filters in favour of narrowband imaging.

Phil

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook