Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Milkyway Imaging Competition - *WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT*  (Read 3322 times)

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
Milkyway Imaging Competition - *WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT*
« on: 23:23:56, 10 October, 2015 »

Milkyway Imaging Challenge - *RESULTS*

Wow!
What an absolutely superb collection of images we received as entries to the competition, the Milkyway is such a favourite of mine, but sadly I no longer get to see it in my increasingly urban skies, so to see these images has been a pleasure for me, each and every one of them. I did manage a glimpse of the Milkyway at Kelling last month, but my images were a very poor companion to those entered here, so I for one personally congratulate all of you who entered your fabulous images, thank you all so much for sharing these with us all  :clap:

The judging panel, which comprised of the UKAI Team and the guys from Altair Astro, have been through all the entries, and a final decision has now been made. In fact the entries were so good, that we have extended the original 2 prizes to include a 3rd place with a prize of a UKAI Beanie Hat! (whoohoo I hear you shout!) as we felt that the entries were of a particularly high quality.

I would like to congratulate the winners, and thank all who entered the competition, you were all just a hairsbreadth away, so look out for our next Imaging Challenge - Startrails, coming very soon, for yet another chance to win!

Overall Winning Image

Congratulations to Lee Phillips (aka Lee Majors), WINNER of the Milkyway Imaging Challenge!  :clap:

The judges decision was unanimous on this great image from Lee, the Milkyway is captured beautifully in the Utah skies and the figure with the torch gives a wonderful 'human' perspective of the milkyway within the landscape underneath, an overall excellent image which we felt fullfilled the brief of the competition perfectly. Well done Lee!

Lee wins an Altair GP-CAM courtesy of our sponsor, Altair Astro

2nd Place Winning Image

Our second place goes to Ric Taylor (aka oldkentucky) for his image of the Milkyway from the Isle of Mull. This image caught the attention of the judges due to the depth and colour within the milkyway and the surrounding sky, and for the unusual starlight reflections caught in the foreground lake, a lovely image there Ric, well done!   :clap:

Ric wins a limited edition UKAI coffee mug  8)

3rd Prize Winning Image

Our final selection to make the top three was Doug Jones's (aka Doug) image of the 'River to Heaven'.
Again the judges really liked the foreground interest of the stones within the landscape, and the definition of the milkyway right down to the horizon line over the Welsh mountains, another fabulous image  :clap:

Doug wins a UKAI Beanie Hat  8)

I would like to thank our sponsor Altair Astro for providing the top prize, and again a big 'thankyou' to everyone who entered their images, many of you were very close to being in the top three, so please take great pride in your images, as they were all wonderful to see - well done folks!   :urock: :urock: :urock:

In case you missed any of the entries, they can all be seen here

We will soon be starting the second challenge of the Altair Astro/UKAI Imaging Challenge with the theme of 'Startrails' so get out there and start thinking about your next competition entry - Clear Skies!  :D

Can all winners please contact me via PM with your postal address so that I can arrange delivery of your prizes - Thankyou.  Ade

Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline PaulB

• Galactic Poster
  • Canis Major
    • Paul's Astronomy Pages
Re: Milkyway Imaging Competition - *WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT*
« Reply #1 on: 08:34:35, 11 October, 2015 »
Well done everybody  :big_clap: :big_clap:
Paul.
"Whirlpool Observatory"
Losmandy G11-Gemini L4.
Celestron C9.25.
Megrez 80 ED II Triplet.
Orion OMC 140
Altair 115ED F7
Coronado PST
Atik 428EX
Atik EFW 2
QHY5L-II.
Modded Canon 1000D.
IOptron Mini Tower II
CCD Images
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulabrierley/

Offline leemajors

• Poster God
  • Webmaster: South East Kent Astronomical Society
    • Sekas
« Reply #2 on: 08:55:56, 11 October, 2015 »
WOW thanks guys!!
I've never won anything before so I am super pleased, and to actually win a very nice prize makes it even more rewarding.  :urock:
Congratulations to the 2 runners up and to all the other excellent entries.  :big_clap: :big_clap: :big_clap:

Many Thanks to the UKAI team & Altair Astro :thumbup:
Lee
EQ6 pro, Celestron Off Axis Guider, Celestron C8, William Optics Megrez 90, Ikharos 70 f6 ED APO,  Meade 10" LX200GPS, Mod Canon 1000D, CLS clip filter, ZWO ASI120MC planetary cam, Meade DSI colour guide cam, Atik 314L+ mono., Atik 5 pos USB filter wheel, Baader LRGB filter set, Baader 7nm Ha, Baader 8.5nm Oiii & 1.25" CLS filter, Maxim DL 5.

Offline oldkentucky

« Reply #3 on: 09:17:46, 11 October, 2015 »
WOW thanks guys!!
I've never won anything before so I am super pleased, and to actually win a very nice prize makes it even more rewarding.  :urock:
Congratulations to the 2 runners up and to all the other excellent entries.  :big_clap: :big_clap: :big_clap:

Many Thanks  :thumbup:
Lee

Yours was my favourite! well done - very impressive!  :big_clap:

Offline brendant

• Poster God
  • Scotland
    • Brendan's Astro
« Reply #4 on: 09:27:23, 11 October, 2015 »
Well done Lee, a beautiful composition. All stunning images and worthy winners.

B.
Skywatcher 80ED Pro,  Skywatcher Quattro 12S Newtonian,  Skywatcher EQ8 Pro Mount
Moravian Instruments G2-8300 Mono + 12 Position Filterwheel c/w Integrated OAG, Astronomik LRGB + 6nm Ha/OIII/SII filters + Lodestar x2 Guidecam, Canon EOS 1000D (Astrodon Modded), QHY5 Guidecamera. Pulsar 2.2m Automated Observatory.

Astrophotography Website

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #5 on: 09:46:37, 11 October, 2015 »
Huge congratulations guys... very worthy winners indeed !!

I think it's safe to say that this was probably our best subscribed imaging comps to date... lets see if we can trump it with the next one !!

Keep them coming  :urock: :clap: :thumbup:
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
« Reply #6 on: 10:08:36, 11 October, 2015 »
Well done Lee, Ric & Doug.   

Thanks to all who entered.

Rog
Scopes - TS65q, W/O 110 Triplet
Mount - EQ6 PRO via  Eqmod,  Rowan belt modded
Cameras - SX694, QSI583WSG,Lodestar Guidecam, GP-Cam, QHY5II.
TS 9mm OAG
Quantum 7x1.25 EFW, Baader LRGB,Ha,OIII,SII Filters 
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

************AND NO TIME TO USE IT************

Offline Gremlin

« Reply #7 on: 10:30:56, 11 October, 2015 »
well done all. there were some great entries, Lees was my favourite
Meade S5000 127 Triplet, Televue 85, Pronto  WO ZS66SD, Tal 100 RS, C8, Coronado SM60DS
Quark, PGR Blackfly, Atik One,Lodestar, Canon 1100D modded 
AZEQ6GT  all in an Obsy

Offline Doug

« Reply #8 on: 13:51:07, 11 October, 2015 »
Well done Lee and Ric, beautiful images and worthy winners.

Doug

Offline Phillyo

• Poster God
« Reply #9 on: 16:37:57, 12 October, 2015 »
Woohoo congrats to all winners and entrants, some cracking milkyway images submitted for this competition.

Extra well done to Lee. Lovely image!

Phil
Astrotrac | Avalon Linear Fast Reverse with EQmod | WO Star 71 | Astrodon 3nm Ha, 5nm SII and 5nm OIII | Astro-modded Canon 450D | QSI 583wsg | Lodestar X2 Guidecam | Sequence Generator Pro | Pixinsight

Offline psjshep

• Database dude... for the last breath of UKAI
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • My god! It's full of stars.... just often enough!
    • Some astro Pics
« Reply #10 on: 21:24:52, 12 October, 2015 »
Well done all.... I was really impressed with the entries :clap:

Phil
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Web Images

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook