Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: Imaging Challenge No.2 - STAR TRAILS  (Read 6933 times)

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
Imaging Challenge No.2 - STAR TRAILS
« on: 00:27:16, 17 October, 2015 »

Following on from our superb Milkyway Challenge, the UKAI team are delighted to launch our 2nd Imaging Challenge in collaboration with ALTAIR-ASTRO to bring you the Startrails Challenge, the second of our 4 challenges in which we ask you to submit your images of 'the sky in motion'

Now is your chance to capture spectacular images of the sky as it silently slips past your lenses, the long cold clear nights of the next few months should give you lots of opportunities to set your cameras on static tripods,  so get out there and get shooting! - The simplicity of this task means that we will be on the look out for your talent and creative decisions in choosing the locations and framing of the sky, again within the environment, so let your imagination open up and show us the magnificent sky in motion.

How you interpret the theme is again up to you, as this is open to not only photography, but also other creative mediums such as artwork and digital creation, so you won't be restricted by your skies or weather conditions. The judges will be looking for unusual and dynamic approaches to the subject, and creativity in context with the genre, as well as the usual technical excellence and aesthetic of the final image.

Take a look at this link for helpful advice :  http://starcircleacademy.com/startrails/ 

Closing Date: January 3rd 2016

To enter the competition, simply post your images below  -  Good Luck Folks!

The Prizes...

Altair-Astro have kindly provided UKAI with four prizes of the new Altair GP-Cam Cameras, one of which will be awarded to the outright winner of each challenge, and there will be runner up prizes of the much coveted UKAI Coffee Mug!

Altair GPCAM AR0130C COLOUR General Purpose Astronomy Camera + auto guiding port

Altair GPCAM MT9M034M MONO General Purpose Astronomy Camera + auto guiding port

Competition Rules - please read before submitting your entry

1. Subject matter must comprise of an image within the theme as specified above
2. Entries can be in the form of photography, artwork or digital creation
3. All images must be submitted before the closing date specified
4. All entries must be submitted below, be no larger than 500KB and the horizontal axis no wider than 1000 pixels.
5. Maximum of 3 entries per member.
6. You may include technical/media details or further information to support your submission

NOTE: You can edit your image submission or details  - the final images on the closing date will be the ones judged

THE SMALL PRINT:
By submitting an image into the competition you agree to the following Terms & Conditions:

The competition is only open to UKAI members with 25+ posts.  All entries must be original and copyright ownership must belong solely to the entrant. The competition closing date may be extended in the event of prolonged bad weather resulting in few entries. Winning Images may be used by UKAI & Altair Astro for promotional purposes relating to the competition. The prizes will only be dispatched free to a UK postal address, winning entries from overseas must contact the organisers to arrange alternative delivery arrangements, at the winners expense. Please allow up to 28 days for delivery of prizes. In the event of the offered prizes being unavailable at the close of the competition, an alternative prize will be offered which may not match the value of the original prize. UKAI reserve the right to cancel or modify details of the competition without prior notice. Winning images will be announced approximately 2-3 weeks after the closing date. The Judges decision is final, and no correspondence may be entered into. Admin and Moderation team may enter the competition but will not be eligible to claim the prizes. Winners must contact the organisers with their postal address in order to claim their prize.

Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline clarkpm4242

• Old Dairy B&B
Re: Imaging Challenge No.2 - STAR TRAILS
« Reply #1 on: 08:57:34, 23 October, 2015 »
Pre-halloween moonlit action from a steeply sloping graveyard in Swaledale...

...felt a bit weird doing this yesterday evening, t'was a bit windy.

Canon7d MkII ~60x20s, Sigma 24mm @f8, iso1600, StarStax, CS2

Paul
Old Dairy B&B, Low Row, Swaledale.  Cycling, astronomy, walking & mountain biking in glorious Swaledale.  Stargazing under dark skies at https://olddairylowrow.wordpress.com/ in the Yorkshire Dales.

Sumerian 16" dobsonian, TMBSS 92mm f5.5 APO. Canon 15x50IS binoculars, Canon 7D MkII, Canon 200EF f2.8, Sigma 24mm f1.4, AstroTrac TT320X

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #2 on: 21:58:32, 23 October, 2015 »
 :thumbup:
Ade

Offline Jenhams

• Jenham's Astro
« Reply #3 on: 21:10:55, 01 November, 2015 »
Here is my attempt, taken on Halloween in Somerset. No witches spotted.
Graham

WO GT81
C90 Mak new model
C90 Mak old model!
Skywatcher Skymax 150 Pro
Vixen AP
EOS 1000D minus filter
iOptron Skytracker V2
Samyang 14mm
www.jenhams.co.uk
"Jenhams Astro" on YouTube

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
    • Stoneage Observatory blog
« Reply #4 on: 23:24:41, 01 November, 2015 »
Well here's my first entry:
77 untracked exposures and 1 tracked exposure to mark the end of the trail.

All exposures were 2 minutes in duration using iso 100 f5.6 on an 8mm lens with my canon 550d.  Tracking with I-optron skytracker.

The scene is a beach hut on Mudeford Sand bar, it was full moon so keeping the foreground lighting under control was the principle problem hence the very low ISO, a pleasant side effect is that the camera recorded a lot of colour in the stars.  Post processing done in Photoshop CS6.

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #5 on: 06:50:22, 02 November, 2015 »
Ade

Offline Starlight

• Poster God
  • SkyGlow Observatory
« Reply #6 on: 19:08:46, 08 November, 2015 »
Did somebody say this was going to be easy !!
Taken with QHY8+28-70 zoom at 28 + Fish Eye Lens processed with Pixinsight & Photoshop Elements

Don
Celestron C9.25-S (XLT), HEQ5 Pro Synscan, Meade LXD75 6" F5 Newt, Meade DSI Colour, Panasonic DMC-FZ5, Starchaser 80 Guide Scope, QHY8, 28-70 Zoom Lens, 300mm Zoom Lens, 400mm Telephoto lens, DBK21 & DMK21, 8" F4 Newt, Sony DSC-HX50, Itorex semi-fish eye lens adapter, Coronado PST, ASI 120MM-S,

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #7 on: 23:23:14, 08 November, 2015 »
Ade

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
« Reply #8 on: 20:40:27, 04 December, 2015 »
Another entry then: 216 x 1 minute exposures with my trusty 8mm at f.6 iso 200. I duplicated and brightened the last frame in order to show the ends of the trails.  All processing done in Photoshop.

This was shot at the Mountain Club of South Africa shelter at Steenboksberg, Bain's Kloof in the Western Cape.  The centre of rotation is the Southern celestial pole, the distinct bright streak in the trails is the Orion / Perseus arm of the Milky way, the very bright streak in the bottom of the frame is Jupiter.

The truly memorable thing about this image for me is that the orange glow in the sky and on the mountain at the end of the valley are not street lights reflecting of clouds but firelight reflecting off the pall of smoke coming from the bush fire that started during the night.   The next morning we were woken by the fire service helicopter landing to evacuate us, the second shot is my wife pondering how we were going to get out with the cars and everyone unharmed, it was a close thing, the flame front was only a few metres from the junction of the access track and the main road when we got there!  We even made the front page of the "Die Berger" newspaper!

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
« Reply #9 on: 20:50:54, 04 December, 2015 »
And whilst I am at it this one is my very first Star trail image, shot way back in 2003 on actual film!  It was shot on iso 100 film in a little Ricoh fixed lens camera my Grandpa gave me, that camera went round the world with me a shot some amazing pictures!  Just to show that in my youth I did some fairly exciting things!  The exposure was around 3 hours in length and was shot in the Drakensberg mountains in Kwa-Zulu Natal, South Africa, I had suffered badly with altitude sickness for the first 3 days but  at the end of the fourth day we found a perfect camping spot on the level plateau where I took the startrails photo.   

I was feeling very bright by now and knowing that this would be the last opportunity for such a photograph after dinner I set the camera on top of a boulder right on the edge of the cliff basically I did this because it gave the best photo composition, it didn't occur to me to consider the risks involved in retrieving the camera!   I decided that a three hour exposure would give me good long trails but would end the exposure before the moon came up and flooded the view with light.   I returned to my tent and read for the three hours.   I knew I couldn't get another go at this picture so I didn't want to risk spoiling it by shining my torch into the lens by accident so when the time came to retrieve the camera I set out into the the dark, heading for the edge of a 500+m cliff with a strong katabatic wind at my back.  My plan was to walk until I bumped into the boulder, find the shutter control and close the shutter before turning on my light, it was pitch dark, the only light was the stars and as I walked on I started to feel uneasy, surely I should have found the boulder by now, I looked around but couldn't see anything, not even our tents as all the lights had been turned out some time ago,  I stopped where I was, I debated the pros and cons of using the torch.. In the end I turned the torch on and shone it just in front of me, I couldn't see the beam.   I waved my hand in front of the torch, it was definitely on but I couldn't see the beam on the ground...  I swept the torch to the right, away from where I hoped I would find the camera and suddenly realised why I couldn't see the torch beam... I was standing about a foot away from the edge of the cliff!  My torch beam had been shining out over the edge lighting the ground 500 metres below!   I checked all around me to make sure I wasn't on a small promontory then took three large steps back before turning away, now desperate to find my camera and get back to the tent, I no longer cared about spoiling the photograph!   I quickly found the boulder but the camera was not on it!   I figured it must have been blown off by the wind, but that meant it would either be between the boulder and the edge, or over the edge and lost, I lay down and looked around the rock,  there was my camera!  I checked it over, it was undamaged and the shutter was closed!   The severe cold had killed the battery some time before but I had no way of knowing when! Had I almost killed my self for nothing?

The morning of the fifth day I told our guide what I had done in the night and got a fairly severe dressing down for being such a catastrophic idiot! We descended off the escarpment without climbing Cathedral peak, we should have been disappointed but really after the severe weather we had had on the escarpment we were happy just to be heading down!

It wasn't until I got home a week later and developed the film that I discovered the shot had worked, wonderful!  but not worth dying for!

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #10 on: 14:06:52, 06 December, 2015 »
Ade

Offline ddave489

« Reply #11 on: 12:38:11, 12 December, 2015 »
Hi all, this is my first ever attempt at a star trail, taken last night from my back garden which is in an area with quite a lot of light pollution. Hoping to improve my results once my intervalometer arrives.

Taken with canon 70d, samyang 16mm f2, 117x30's.

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #12 on: 13:15:22, 12 December, 2015 »
Ade

Offline Dinozorr

• I still believe Geological time, not Atomic
« Reply #13 on: 07:47:06, 21 December, 2015 »
 "The star Polaris, slap bang in the middle"
Penny Pot lane wind farm, Harrogate North Yorkshire.

Offline Skipper Billy

• My personal astro website
« Reply #14 on: 11:17:30, 23 December, 2015 »
Oban, Scotland. 50 x 40sec exposures at f3.5 - ISO1600

Canon 1100d, Samyang 14mm lens, Manfrotto tripod and remote cable release.

Aurora was forecast but absent for the first few and last few shots but really revved up around the middle of the shoot.

Scopes - 130 Heritage for visual, ES 210mm f3.8 Carbon Hex astrograph for imaging, SW EvoGuide and Lodestar for guiding
Mount - Skywatcher AZ-EQ6-GT
Camera - Atik 460EX mono and Atik EFW loaded with Baader Narrowband and Broadband filters
Website www.davidbanksastro.com

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook