Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Is this back lash ?  (Read 1452 times)

Online Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
Is this back lash ?
« on: 11:37:31, 28 February, 2016 »
When I'm calibrating with PHD2 I have noticed that when it say " Clearing backlash" my guide star moves north,  then it starts to calibrate north but struggles to bring it back to the original starting point south & has to take a extra 3 "south nudges" to centre it again.

I'm not that bothered TBH as my guiding seems to be very good ATM but it's just one of those things that bug me.

Roger
Scopes - TS65q, W/O 110 Triplet
Mount - EQ6 PRO via  Eqmod,  Rowan belt modded
Cameras - SX694, QSI583WSG,Lodestar Guidecam, GP-Cam, QHY5II.
TS 9mm OAG
Quantum 7x1.25 EFW, Baader LRGB,Ha,OIII,SII Filters 
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

************AND NO TIME TO USE IT************

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
Re: Is this back lash ?
« Reply #1 on: 12:10:33, 28 February, 2016 »
Mine does that too Rog (but usually needs more than three nudges to re-centre)... I concluded yes, it's the amount of backlash in the system being taken out and isn't anything to "worry" about !?

Be interested to know if that isn't the case though.

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline tomhow

• Tom How
  • Galactic Poster
  • Making equipment is far more fun than buying it.
    • The Curdridge Observatory
« Reply #2 on: 12:30:45, 28 February, 2016 »
Part of the point of guider calibration is to quantify the backlash in the DEC so the guider can account for it. Otherwise you get that drift-drift-drift-JERK pattern in the dec guiding when it reverses. That's the point of those "only dec guide north" settings: To try and keep backlash out of the equation.

That said, things like backlash come riddled with hysteresis so trying to minimise it in the mechanical domain (i.e. by fiddling with the mount) can only help the guider.

RA guiding is a whole lot easier as the motor is always running so backlash ain't an issue.
Tak Sky 90, Atik 490, Homemade Mount, OAG, Lodestar

The Curdridge Observatory

Online Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
« Reply #3 on: 12:38:03, 28 February, 2016 »
Mine does that too Rog (but usually needs more than three nudges to re-centre)... I concluded yes, it's the amount of backlash in the system being taken out and isn't anything to "worry" about !?

Be interested to know if that isn't the case though.

S.

ok,  good to know it's not just me,  may be a tad of adjustment is needed in the dec to minimise the north movement

Rog
TS 9mm OAG
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

Offline Starlight

• Poster God
  • SkyGlow Observatory
« Reply #4 on: 16:58:20, 28 February, 2016 »
Rog
I seem to remember reading somewhere that its best not to have it "exactly" set up to minimise declination drift as then it tends to oscillate when guiding. Once you figure out which way its drifting then set dec guiding in just the one direction.
Don
Celestron C9.25-S (XLT), HEQ5 Pro Synscan, Meade LXD75 6" F5 Newt, Meade DSI Colour, Panasonic DMC-FZ5, Starchaser 80 Guide Scope, QHY8, 28-70 Zoom Lens, 300mm Zoom Lens, 400mm Telephoto lens, DBK21 & DMK21, 8" F4 Newt, Sony DSC-HX50, Itorex semi-fish eye lens adapter, Coronado PST, ASI 120MM-S,

Online Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
« Reply #5 on: 17:16:40, 28 February, 2016 »
Rog
I seem to remember reading somewhere that its best not to have it "exactly" set up to minimise declination drift as then it tends to oscillate when guiding. Once you figure out which way its drifting then set dec guiding in just the one direction.
Don

cheers Don,

I best leave it TBH as I said my guiding is pretty good at the mo,   it just was bugging me when calibrating,  But as Si has the same issue I know it's not my setup.    ( If its not broke don't fix it )

Roger
TS 9mm OAG
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook