Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Feathertouch FocusBoss & Handy Stepper Motor  (Read 4900 times)

Offline ChrisLX200

• Poster God
  • Macclesfield UK
Re: Feathertouch FocusBoss & Handy Stepper Motor
« Reply #15 on: 20:08:48, 10 March, 2016 »
and they're no problem if mounted on a separate bracket and using a toothed belt

You mean like this? ;-).  Bracket is not yet finished.

LOL! Something like that - but did you need to use armour plate? ;-)

You have an f/5 scope, a 200-step/rev motor (?) and perhaps 3:1 reduction on the toothed belt (again, an ?). You might have been better using a smaller geared motor yourself in this instance to get the resolution of movement, but you can improve things by using half-step to get 400 step/rev I guess.

ChrisH
Chris Heapy - current: 10-Micron GM2000HPS-II U/P, G11/Gemini, TV NP127is, Altair 8" RC, TV Genesis SDF, TV Pronto, SW Equinox 80ED, 10" LX200, 12" f/5.4 Newt, Vixen 90mm.
Atik 490EX, Atik EFW, Baader LRGB filters, Astrodon 3nM NB filters, Lodestar, QHY5L-II all-sky, Canon 70D and 350D
Whirley Obs., MPC Code Z89

Offline peterr

Re: Feathertouch FocusBoss & Handy Stepper Motor
« Reply #16 on: 20:26:44, 10 March, 2016 »
but did you need to use armour plate? ;-)

Not exactly....it started life as a corner plaster trowel, a 99p purchase in the boxing day sales.

Your right it's overkill but my first go with Arduino's and steppers etc.  The gearing from memory is 4:1, even in qtr step as it's high torque version it didn't loose much run in that mode and easily lifts the focuser wheel and camera.  I calculated out the CFZ to be 6.48 in half step mode and 12.96 in quarter step mode in the zone, I know from reading the forums here the sweet spot is around 10 so was using it in quarter mode for now.

I struggled to get hold of the NEMA14 with a planetary gearbox so I ended up with the 17 as a base motor.
Sky-Watcher Explorer 190nm, AZ-EQ6, Lodestar X2, Atik 460EX, SX FW, SX OAG, Baader 1.25" LRGB + HaSIIOIII, Canon EOS 500D Unmodified, Orion ST80

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook