Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: Cheap way into astrophotography for beginners  (Read 1291 times)

Offline mechanoid

Cheap way into astrophotography for beginners
« on: 18:43:40, 10 March, 2016 »
I was wondering how a beginner might get tracking images without any serious expenditure.  Perhaps it may encourage more people to take that step beyond star trails.

So I came up with this as a first thought.  The tracking mounts can be obtained for about a £1. OK, its a mains 24 hour timer. I epoxied on a couple of plastic knurled discs with the standard UNC thread, and made a two axis gimbal out of some parts from a defunct action camera.

Its not ideal to hang a DSLR on this, so I used my Canon Powershot.  iPhone maybe ?  I know the bearings (if you could call them that) are lousy, but they may be good enough for a minute or two.  Registax could used to combine the subs, 'cos its free.

I only managed 10 x 15 sec subs on Orion.  Annoyingly Canon stopped allowing remote control of this model, and 15 secs was the maximum exposure possible, which rather defeated the objective of testing the tracking. So next time I'll have to try the DSLR.

I'm not sure that the result is any better than a short static exposure, but if the clouds ever part I'll experiment some more.  The glow is because I was in too much of a hurry to bother to turn the outside light off.
Skywatcher Quattro 200mm C/F, Vixen GPDX, QHY10
Skywatcher ST80, QHY5II, PHD2
Images Plus

Offline Einari

• Poster God
    • Einari's astro pages
Re: Cheap way into astrophotography for beginners
« Reply #1 on: 18:59:45, 10 March, 2016 »
Interesting solution.
Have you checked if you can use CHDK in your Powershot ?
That enables you to use longer subs.
Tapio

Celestron C8, C9.25" & Hyperstar, iOptron CEM60-EC, TS 80 triplet,  Coronado PST, SXV-694,  ASI120MM/ASI174MC Cool

Offline jhughe22

• Don't get mad, get smart!
« Reply #2 on: 19:08:16, 10 March, 2016 »
I would be wary of using 240v mains in damp conditions :scare:.  If this is a viable solution for you I would ensure all mains connections are sealed against water ingress :ugly:.
8" f/5 Sky-watcher 200P f=1000,  6" f/9 Ritchey-Chrétien Revelation Astro f=1370, 3.5" f/10 Meade 90 with 2" focuser mod f=900, 3.5" f/13 Maksutov-Cassergrain f=1200...  Heavy Duty EQ est-60lb payload.  iOptron Minitower v2, Skywatcher SupaTrak, and a damaged EQ-3 Mount. Latest;- EQ-5 with dual drive.
Camera's;- Nikon D5000, Sony Nex5, Samsung NX2000, Altair GPCAM AR0130C, Celestron NexImage SSI

Offline tomhow

• Tom How
  • Galactic Poster
  • Making equipment is far more fun than buying it.
    • The Curdridge Observatory
« Reply #3 on: 19:20:00, 10 March, 2016 »
That is an utterly brilliant bit of inspired lateral thinking!

I hope it takes you a step down the astrophotography path.

Yes, there is a massive safety issue, but still, superb idea!
Tak Sky 90, Atik 490, Homemade Mount, OAG, Lodestar

The Curdridge Observatory

Online chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #4 on: 19:29:13, 10 March, 2016 »
I'm of the school whereby Health and Safety should not stifle inspiration and this fits right on in. Rubber gloves and stout shoes, what could possible go wrong?
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #5 on: 22:11:59, 10 March, 2016 »
Great idea, with the added bonus that the rcd will trip the whole house if it gets too dewy, thus saving you wasted subs, and no alarm clock for work in the morning !     ;)
Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline AstroStew

• Stew's Astrophotography Pages
« Reply #6 on: 23:55:11, 10 March, 2016 »
I know there is a serious safety issue here, but that aside it is a superb and inspiring idea, very ingenious indeed...  :big_clap:
Stew
Scopes:  Meade 8" SCT with Audiostar & GPS, Williams Optics ZS66SD, Antares RACI 50mm finder.
Cameras:  Atik 383L+ mono, ASI120mc-s Colour, SX Lodestar mono guide camera.
Eyepieces / Diagonals: Meade 9.7, 15, 26, 8-24mm zoom, 1.25" WL Lunt wedge & dielectric diagonal.
Other Stuff: 2.5x Powermate, f6.3 FR/FF, WO 0.8x FR/FF, Baader 36mm LRGB, Ha, OIII, SII & Astronomik CLS CCD LPfilters.

Offline Bazzaar

• Poster God
« Reply #7 on: 10:01:41, 11 March, 2016 »
Safety issues? How? Why?
Don't put an inspired idea down with unfounded fears
Baz
Tal 200k, SW 200P, iOptron iEQ45 pro, HEQ5 pro, QHY5III174m, QHY5L II mono, Samsung SBC 2001, SharpSky focuser, Zwo ADC,  Celestron 15x70 bins,

Offline jhughe22

• Don't get mad, get smart!
« Reply #8 on: 10:18:24, 11 March, 2016 »
 :harhar: :harhar: I see ALL of the above have not had a belt off the mains :scare:, believe me i'm a person who likes to tinker and bodge about but such an experience makes you wary  :tease::yes:  However this is a cracking idea with just a few issues to overcome :big_clap:.  A glue gun will take care of water ingress :gum:  There is a tiny bit of play with the Timer i've got and this can be overcome by off setting the camera from centre.

John..
8" f/5 Sky-watcher 200P f=1000,  6" f/9 Ritchey-Chrétien Revelation Astro f=1370, 3.5" f/10 Meade 90 with 2" focuser mod f=900, 3.5" f/13 Maksutov-Cassergrain f=1200...  Heavy Duty EQ est-60lb payload.  iOptron Minitower v2, Skywatcher SupaTrak, and a damaged EQ-3 Mount. Latest;- EQ-5 with dual drive.
Camera's;- Nikon D5000, Sony Nex5, Samsung NX2000, Altair GPCAM AR0130C, Celestron NexImage SSI

Offline mechanoid

« Reply #9 on: 19:33:01, 11 March, 2016 »
Thanks for the comments. I can assure you that I'm as keen to stay alive as you. That's what plug in RCDs are made for.  The experiment was simply to try an idea.  Of course, if you are that worried about electrical safety you could always use it indoors through an open window.  Maybe that's what I did. Maybe not.

Just to be clear. I am NOT advocating this as a working solution, at least not outdoors.  If it did work, maybe someone could figure out what might be done to make it compliant with electrical regs. Which probably rules it out it as a "simple" solution. Still, probably safer than your average tumble drier, eh ?

Maybe an old clockwork or battery powered clock with a 2:1 reduction gear on the hour hand might work too.  Perhaps you can get battery powered timers. But to meet the objective its got to be simple to do with household tools and a tube of glue. And cheap.

Or you could just fork out £300-£500 to see if you might like the hobby.

Thanks for the tip about CHDK - I'd forgotten all about that. It is available for my camera.  I'll give it a try.

Dave
Skywatcher Quattro 200mm C/F, Vixen GPDX, QHY10
Skywatcher ST80, QHY5II, PHD2
Images Plus

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook