Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Innovations Foresight ONAG  (Read 1591 times)

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
Innovations Foresight ONAG
« on: 11:14:08, 22 March, 2016 »
Just pressed the button on one of these http://www.innovationsforesight.com/education/on-axis-guider-onag/ which has been on the plan for some time. Anyone else on here ever used one?

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Bazzaar

• Poster God
Re: Innovations Foresight ONAG
« Reply #1 on: 14:14:11, 22 March, 2016 »
Great idea, obvious after you read about it!
Bit rich for my pocket, but it does have huge advantages over other guide methods.
Baz
Tal 200k, SW 200P, iOptron iEQ45 pro, HEQ5 pro, QHY5III174m, QHY5L II mono, Samsung SBC 2001, SharpSky focuser, Zwo ADC,  Celestron 15x70 bins,

Offline ChrisLX200

• Poster God
  • Macclesfield UK
« Reply #2 on: 15:38:41, 22 March, 2016 »
An interesting gizmo, keep us updated on how it performs! I've followed reports of someone on CN that uses an ONAG with an RC. Only negative for me is that you apparently need to have the camera mounted @ 90deg with the guidecamera sticking straight out the back - would be better the other way around I think. I would hate to try and arrange my G4 + Fitlerwheel to sit in that position, apart from the issue of trying to balance the thing I'm not sure there would be room to do that.

ChrisH
Chris Heapy - current: 10-Micron GM2000HPS-II U/P, G11/Gemini, TV NP127is, Altair 8" RC, TV Genesis SDF, TV Pronto, SW Equinox 80ED, 10" LX200, 12" f/5.4 Newt, Vixen 90mm.
Atik 490EX, Atik EFW, Baader LRGB filters, Astrodon 3nM NB filters, Lodestar, QHY5L-II all-sky, Canon 70D and 350D
Whirley Obs., MPC Code Z89

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #3 on: 15:56:12, 22 March, 2016 »

The RC is the primary reason for going this route as, with the SXH16, there is not a lot of peripheral room for the pick off prism of an OAG and guide stars can sometime be a little hard to find. I have yet to find a guide scope arrangement that does not suffer from differential flexure plus its a pain trying to arrange things so both scopes have a view out of the dome slit.

Mounting the filter wheel and camera on top should actually bring the centre of mass forwards and help reduce sag, does look odd but perhaps only because we are not used to that configuration. Ive got Precise Parts in Miami making up the adapter for the ONAG to the 3" Feathertouch, they have the configurations for the ONAG to scope side connection so it should be solid as! Just hope my measurements for getting things par focal are right as there is not a lot of room for error!
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Bazzaar

• Poster God
« Reply #4 on: 16:58:35, 22 March, 2016 »
I think the reason the imaging camera has to be at 90 deg is that the loss to the visible light reflecting off the splitter surface can be made a lot lower than the transmission loss of the light passing through the splitter, ie the NIR. You can bear a little loss for the guide camera but would be peeved to lose any of your image light.

Chris b, did you factor in the different focus point of NIR in your calcs?

Baz
Tal 200k, SW 200P, iOptron iEQ45 pro, HEQ5 pro, QHY5III174m, QHY5L II mono, Samsung SBC 2001, SharpSky focuser, Zwo ADC,  Celestron 15x70 bins,

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #5 on: 17:17:21, 22 March, 2016 »
...did you factor in the different focus point of NIR in your calcs?

There is +/-4mm tolerance on the helical focuser for the guide camera which should be plenty enough to account for it, its not much at f7. The advice is to make the light path distances from the the ONAG face to the two cameras the same so have measured every component with Vernier Calipers and reckon on needing a 5mm spacer on the ONAG camera port which is handy as that should give enough clearance for the overhang of the filter wheel.
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline tomhow

• Tom How
  • Galactic Poster
  • Making equipment is far more fun than buying it.
    • The Curdridge Observatory
« Reply #6 on: 18:58:46, 22 March, 2016 »
I've heard good things about the SharpLock focusing thing from one of my contacts using this.
Tak Sky 90, Atik 490, Homemade Mount, OAG, Lodestar

The Curdridge Observatory

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #7 on: 22:05:14, 22 March, 2016 »
Yes Tom, it promises real time autofocus on the fly. Will have to see how it all pans out.
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline mcgillca

« Reply #8 on: 11:55:06, 25 March, 2016 »
Dear Chris,

Yes, I have an ONAG - works very well, especially with CCDcommander auto choosing the guide star.

I initially had problems with flexure - I had the guider too far away from the ONAG, but Gaston Baudat was very helpful in sorting it out, even making me a special ONAG with a fixed stage - I have a write up of this, but its too large to post.

I find I can now guide with flexure rates close to unmeasurable (less than 0.01"/minute) and have taken up to 3 hour subs (well, 3x1 hour subs with no movement between subs stacked together) with no problem at all.

I've tried the FocusLock - I had a couple of problems relating to automation - there is no way (yet) to start this inside CCDcommander. I could probably have found a fix to this using a script, but I found that a couple of times, CCDcommader would guide on the galaxy I was trying to image - the natural eccentricity of the galaxy confused FocusLock.

Also, I have found that the carbon fibre truss is very temperature stable - it takes several degree shift in temperature to increase FWHM by more than 0.1", so focussing a few times a night is more than sufficient.

I'm sure you'll enjoy using it.

Colin
Main scope: Ikharos 8" RC
Camera: Atik 460ex with Atik EFW and Baader LRGB Ha, OIII and SII filters
Guide scope: On Axis Guider with Atik 314L+
Mount: Paramount MX located in Astrocamp, Nerpio, Spain

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook