Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsAPT

Author Topic: Comments : PoleMaster from QHY  (Read 6562 times)

Offline psjshep

• Phil, who still has a job
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • The 16200 is getting a lot of use!
    • Some astro Pics
Comments : PoleMaster from QHY
« on: 12:47:22, 28 March, 2016 »
I have posted a review of the PoleMaster Polar alignment system on this board - comments/suggestions, please let me know,

http://ukastroimaging.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=64178.0

Thanks,

Phil
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Web Images

Offline markc

Re: Comments : PoleMaster from QHY
« Reply #1 on: 00:03:27, 29 March, 2016 »
Hi Phil...very informative review thank you I can see you have taken a great deal of effort here  :urock: ,although personally got a bit lost with all the screenshots and rotating and not what.. no criticism,its most likely just me and the late hour.
I would think essentially it just needs to know your mounts current position relative to the 3 Polar stars,and work out the RA and DEC movement required to align them. The screenshots and rotating where no doubt doing that!

Hard to tell how sensitive the camera is as have no idea how dark your skies are...

Most importantly for me anyway, can this be used when a.Polaris is not visible and b. if skies are too faint to show the "other" polar aligment stars?

I would hope in time an adapter for the AstroTrac will become available..won't hold thumbs though.
Accurate P/A with the AT is a right PITA...too much fiddling,modification,lousy PS, etc

Finally..how long subs are you able to achieve without auto guiding or have you not got to testing that yet ?
CGEM mount,C11 Fastar,Hyperstar III, WO Megrez 110mm ED APO, Skywatcher 80ED,Celestron C80ED, Synguider, Canon 700D full spectrum modded, Astronomik CLS-CCD / UHC clip filters,Astronomik 2" 12nm Ha filter, Artemis 285 ccd, Atik EFW, Astronomik Type2c LRGB 1.25" filters,Astrotrac, Manfrotto 055XP tripod+496RC2 ball head,TW3100 Wedge,Canon EF 28-105mm f3.5-4.5 USM,Pentax Takumar SMC 200mm f/4

Offline mechanoid

« Reply #2 on: 15:33:16, 29 March, 2016 »
I used my PoleMaster for the first time last night. Excellent device, easy to use and well made.

In answer to your questions, no it won't work unless Polaris and the surrounding alignment stars are visible.

Given the limited angle of rotation, it might not work too well with an Astrotrac.  It uses the position of a star at three angles of rotation of the polar axis in order to calculate the centre of rotation. (Circle by three points). The smaller the angle intervals, the less accurate this becomes. QHY recommends at least 30 degree intervals - I used 60.

It isn't necessary to power the mount at all. I moved it by hand.  The PoleMaster doesn't need to know anything about where the telescope is pointing in order to work.
Skywatcher Quattro 200mm C/F, Vixen GPDX, QHY10
Skywatcher ST80, QHY5II, PHD2
Images Plus

Offline psjshep

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Some astro Pics
« Reply #3 on: 17:29:18, 29 March, 2016 »
Mark :
thanks for the feedback... yeah... a few too many screen shots for some, I know.... at least it covers it all :laugh:
My skies are not too great these days, & the camera actually picked up Polaris & a few others before it had properly gone dark, so I would say it's sensitivity is pretty spot on....   and your other Q I think has been answered by David.... I too don't think you'll get the rotation needed on an Astrotrac.

David:
Yeah, someone else let me know about the rotating of the mount by hand..... I supposed I was using the instructions too much to the letter without actually thinking about what it was doing...  I'll amend that part of the review I think.... especially as it's easier to see by eye as to how much you have rotated it...

Phil
Web Images

Offline ChrisLX200

• Poster God
  • Macclesfield UK
« Reply #4 on: 18:47:49, 29 March, 2016 »
Use a Red filter in front of the camera - darkens the (blue) sky and increases contrast during twilight. I use that trick to run my mount model before it gets dark...

ChrisH
Chris Heapy - current: 10-Micron GM2000HPS-II U/P, G11/Gemini, TV NP127is, Altair 8" RC, TV Genesis SDF, TV Pronto, SW Equinox 80ED, 10" LX200, 12" f/5.4 Newt, Vixen 90mm.
Atik 490EX, Atik EFW, Baader LRGB filters, Astrodon 3nM NB filters, Lodestar, QHY5L-II all-sky, Canon 70D and 350D
Whirley Obs., MPC Code Z89

Offline psjshep

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Some astro Pics
« Reply #5 on: 23:52:10, 29 March, 2016 »
TBH, Chris...  in all the sessions I have tried so far ( 4 or 5) - it is easy to pick out the required stars... works very well...

Added "Astronomical Refraction" (Thanks, Mr. Bailey) & comments about being able to rotate axis manually (Thanks Dave Smith) - thx boys, & others who commented similarly.

Phil
Web Images

Offline fwm891

• Retired Photographer
« Reply #6 on: 21:46:08, 26 April, 2016 »
Just ordered one for my iEQ45 Pro. Whilst the mount is quite easy to set-up using the polar axis reticule it does means grovelling on my knees to achieve PA. I like to keep tripod legs as short as possible for more stability
Altair Astro 115 EDT/APO and 8 inch CF/RC, Avalon Linear mount, RoR and lots of stuff...
flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/97440028@N04/with/14450746185/

Offline astro_andy

« Reply #7 on: 22:41:54, 26 April, 2016 »
Polemaster works fine with the AstroTrac :D I've only had one attempt at using it, mounted on the Vixen dovetail that my scope is fixed to. Just rotating the PM around RA with the scope pointing at Polaris improved my tracking from 2 mins to 4 mins (unguided @ 255mm focal length) and hopefully better with further practise. Modern Astronomy now have a dedicated adaptor for the AT. Good times!

Offline TONYUK

« Reply #8 on: 17:12:22, 14 May, 2016 »
I have posted a review of the PoleMaster Polar alignment system on this board - comments/suggestions, please let me know,

http://ukastroimaging.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=64178.0

Thanks,

Phil

Thanks Phil for your review.  I've watched a couple of videos on Youtube and your images are rather clearer and make everything easier to follow.  I got mine yesterday and installed it.  Hopefully the skies will stay clear this evening to give it a try.

Many thanks

Tony
TONYUK

Skywatcher 250DPS Newtonian on an NEQ6 PRO mount with an Opticstar DS336C XL 3.3 MP camera plus a Coronado PST solar telescope

Offline psjshep

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Some astro Pics
« Reply #9 on: 18:28:26, 14 May, 2016 »
Nice 1, Tony... thanks for that, I appreciate your comments.

Good luck with your first run...

Phil
Web Images

Offline psjshep

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Some astro Pics
« Reply #10 on: 22:25:03, 10 January, 2017 »
FYI, there is an update to the Polemaster software.... the changelog (minus the Chinese!) is :

Update Data 2016-10-24
V1.3.2.8
- Updated: changed the sign of pole from cricle to cross in template, to avoid confusion with the star.
- Updated: Optimized the 'star Template', eliminated the 8 spikes radiating from the circles.
- Added: the mono style of UI and a [Mono Style] option to switch screen style between color and mono.
- Added: add a [-] and
  • button to allow a step rotation for template.

- Updated: star database update for the next 9 years;
- Updated: translation of French

Driver is 150915

All found here : http://www.qhyccd.com/PoleMaster.html

Phil
Web Images

ukbuysellUKAI on FacebookSharpSkyblankSponsorship Opportunity