Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: First night tracking test images with an iOptron iEQ45 Pro  (Read 1202 times)

Offline fwm891

• Retired Photographer
Received my iEQ45 Pro late Saturday PM (16-04-2016) assembled it easily and filled out all the bits needed in the handset. It was clear Saturday evening with patchy cloud but managed a few images - they showed some field rotation so I needed to look at the PA adjustment more closely. I played with the mount during Sunday and spent some time on aligning the polar axis reticule (as described in the manual :clap:). Clear again Sunday night so took a bit more time positioning Polaris on the etched reticle. I did a three star alignment as opposed to a one star the previous night. The alignment and focussing was done on the back of a Nikon D5100 using the red rectangle on the live-view screen, so not the best way to polar align :no:. Aligned using Arcturus, Castor and Alioth.
Anyway, as the moon was bright I chose three targets: M51, M101 and M's 81 and 82. Subs were set at 180s each, 800 iso no field flattener on the Altair Astro 115 EDT-APO scope.
GoTo's were good with each 'M' well positioned on the sensor, I used a programmable timer on the camera for the captures with a minimum of 3 subs per subject (because PI's star align won't work with less than 3 subs). This was a test of the tracking on the iEQ45 Pro, no link back to the PC and no auto guiding used.
No retouching of the debris has been done to any of the images (Note to self - must clean the sensor!)

The images - processed in PI, cropped to remove the ragged edge around my sensor where it was stripped of all its filters. Number of subs used is noted in the file name:

Altair Astro 115 EDT/APO and 8 inch CF/RC, Avalon Linear mount, RoR and lots of stuff...
flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/97440028@N04/with/14450746185/

Offline Einari

• Poster God
    • Einari's astro pages
Re: First night tracking test images with an iOptron iEQ45 Pro
« Reply #1 on: 10:02:51, 18 April, 2016 »
PA and tracking looks good now.
Just go and get those photons...
Tapio

Celestron C8, C9.25" & Hyperstar, iOptron CEM60-EC, TS 80 triplet,  Coronado PST, SXV-694,  ASI120MM/ASI174MC Cool

Offline Bazzaar

• Poster God
« Reply #2 on: 20:13:54, 18 April, 2016 »
Three minutes unguided, gotta be pleased with that.
Nicely set up Francis, the only star distortion I can see is some coma, which is nothing to do with the mount.
Cheers
Baz
Tal 200k, SW 200P, iOptron iEQ45 pro, HEQ5 pro, QHY5III174m, QHY5L II mono, Samsung SBC 2001, SharpSky focuser, Zwo ADC,  Celestron 15x70 bins,

Offline fwm891

• Retired Photographer
« Reply #3 on: 22:44:04, 20 April, 2016 »
Three minutes unguided, gotta be pleased with that.
Nicely set up Francis, the only star distortion I can see is some coma, which is nothing to do with the mount.
Cheers
Baz
Thanks Baz,
Yes very pleased with those images and the differences in the 3, 4 and 5 sub stacks on the backgrounds.
The coma, probably my poor focusing accentuating it. Should have used a focusing mask but my thoughts were primarily on how well the mount tracked all by itself.

Had some time to get the OAG modified and been playing with that to get the scope and OAG co-focused.
Francis
Altair Astro 115 EDT/APO and 8 inch CF/RC, Avalon Linear mount, RoR and lots of stuff...
flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/97440028@N04/with/14450746185/

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook