Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Ekos/Indi/Kstarrs  (Read 5306 times)

Online chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
Re: Ekos/Indi/Kstars
« Reply #15 on: 13:07:56, 24 April, 2016 »
USB/Ethernet, yep, someone needs to set it up and see if its an issue.

Should be able to sometime this week.

I can confirm that my Starlight H16 and Lodestar connect locally just fine and dandy and that the Indi version of EQmod works well too. Why a user has to be a member of a dialup group to access a USB port is beyond me but after a sudo adduser $USER dial out and a reboot it does work and in many ways is cleaner than EQAscom. Plate solving works via Astronomy.net online, now downloading all the files to run it locally. Only issue I have at the moment is that Indi is not seeing my Atik 490 despite installing the 3rd party drivers for it.

I have loads of scribbled notes of things I have done so will post them on here at some point.
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Bazzaar

• Poster God
Re: Ekos/Indi/Kstarrs
« Reply #16 on: 16:18:12, 24 April, 2016 »
I tried Kstars,
It's umm.. buggy. A large number of the Messier list didn't show on the map because the magnitude is reported as 99.9.
Other than that it very much reminded me of CdC in how it works.

Baz
Tal 200k, SW 200P, iOptron iEQ45 pro, HEQ5 pro, QHY5III174m, QHY5L II mono, Samsung SBC 2001, SharpSky focuser, Zwo ADC,  Celestron 15x70 bins,

Online chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #17 on: 16:58:18, 24 April, 2016 »
They are there in the Search list though. I think it might be a case of using Stellarium as a pretty looking planetarium to decide on targets and using KStars/Ekos to load them into a target list and image them.
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline MikeDunn

« Reply #18 on: 17:07:25, 24 April, 2016 »
A large number of the Messier list didn't show on the map because the magnitude is reported as 99.9.
Did you report that as a bug to them ?  Although, the source code should be available for the data ?

Online chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #19 on: 16:39:25, 25 April, 2016 »
Well a fun rainy Monday that has been.

A new Pi3 arrived from Amazon this morning and after a bit of faffing to SSH into it to install XRDP to get remote desktop running, following the instructions on the Indi.org site for installing Indi server on a PI went without a hitch. Ran it with all the simulators first with no issues and then connected EQmod to an EQ6Pro, my SX814 and a Lodestar. Mount and camera powered off a 12volt Tracer and the Pi off a 5volt phone charger battery. It all works like a dream over Ethernet and images flow down onto the controlling Ekos laptop pretty snappily with an 814 image arriving in about 8 seconds. It even works, after a fashion, using the WiFi connection in the Pi but it does make it a bit too laggy to recommend.

A bit more playing to do but first impressions are it is all very usable.

Chris
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline MikeDunn

« Reply #20 on: 16:53:04, 25 April, 2016 »
Sounds good  :thumbup:

How easy were the instructions to follow ?  Anything awkward ?  The ones I saw looked a little basic, but ...

On a separate note : the new Pi camera escaped into the wilds today - both the normal and the No-IR  :big_clap:  Guess what I have due tomorrow  :nerd:

Online chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #21 on: 17:48:25, 25 April, 2016 »
Mike

I'm a complete Pi newbie and I only have very rudimentary Linux knowhow so if I can do it anyone can. The only sticking point for me was not knowing that you cant SSH into a Pi loaded with the NOOBs version of Raspbian at least not without a fair bit of hacking. In the end I downloaded Raspbian Jessie and built my own boot card. Once I got remote desktop access to the Pi it was simply a matter of following the instructions here http://www.indilib.org/download/raspberry-pi.html. Started the Indi server on the Pi with the simulators loaded and was pretty amazed when I could then use Ekos in remote mode. I was then even more amazed when I connected the EQDir dongle and was able to drive the EQ6 connected to a Pi. I will do a start to finish write up when I get 5 minutes.

I also found today there are a load of weather stations in my vicinity on Weather Underground. Ekos supports WUnderground  as a weather monitor so with a free API key the Pi is now getting weather updates every 5 minutes and feeds that to the schedule application. Sure enough when it started raining the weather went from a (2) - cloudy to a (3) - precipitation. Sadly no (0) - clear skies.

All in all it is very impressive. At a push you could make the whole thing wireless. A phone charger battery of reasonable size should be capable of running the Pi for days and a decent leisure battery will handle the rest. It would need to be in close range of a WiFi repeater to be at all usable but heh.

Chris

ps I saw the new Pi camera was out...mmm.

Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline MikeDunn

« Reply #22 on: 19:49:54, 25 April, 2016 »
The only sticking point for me was not knowing that you cant SSH into a Pi loaded with the NOOBs version of Raspbian at least not without a fair bit of hacking.
Eh ?  You can though ?  Jessie has SSH enabled by default, so once you load up you're good to go ?  A working VNC, that's more tricky, but x11vnc is the answer.  How old / what version of NOOBS were you using ?  It should have been 1.9 as older ones didn't have it enabled by default.  I did a write-up of building a RasPi for another site (different hobby), both to Wheezy (Pi2) and an addendum to Jessie (Pi3) - would anyone find this useful for here (suitably amended, of course) ?

A phone charger battery of reasonable size should be capable of running the Pi for days and a decent leisure battery will handle the rest.
The Pi3 needs 5V 2.5A (you can get away with 2A if you're not powering much off the Pi), so the official PSU will do this (there can be problems with phone chargers ...).  I'm considering a powerpack (min 10,000 mAh) so I can use it "off grid", I like the looks of this one.  As I'd want to power the touchscreen too, the extended mAh as well as the 2.4A output is essential.  Should last a while !!!

Allegedly, both the new cameras will arrive here tomorrow (bought both, as the No-IR one may be better for the autoguider ...), so will swap out the current camera & try them  :nerd:  I must have misunderstood something on the board specs, as I had thought the new board size was larger than the original board - glad to be wrong  ;)

Mike

Online chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #23 on: 08:03:56, 26 April, 2016 »
Mike

You do ned to plug a Pi into a monitor at least once to get past the NOOBS screen. I did mine completely headless from start to finish.

I have a slightly smaller Ravpower to the one you linked to. Its been running my Pi now for 24 hours and is still alive.

Chris

ps I found out you can load the Guide Star Catalog GSC onto the Pi and then fully test out Ekos (focus, guiding, imaging, plate solving) using the simulators. All very cool and brilliant at getting everything configured.
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline MikeDunn

« Reply #24 on: 08:43:30, 26 April, 2016 »
Ah, OK I see what you're on about now.  Yes, you have to have a screen/mouse/keyboard for NOOBS initialisation; once it has deployed Rasbian, you're OK for SSH & deploying a remote console app & can operate headerless.

Online chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #25 on: 20:11:08, 23 May, 2016 »
https://sourceforge.net/projects/indistarter/ is well worth  as it makes configuring and starting the Indi Server a LOT more straightforward.
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Psamathe

« Reply #26 on: 20:37:37, 23 May, 2016 »
https://sourceforge.net/projects/indistarter/ is well worth  as it makes configuring and starting the Indi Server a LOT more straightforward.

Looks a very useful utility - thanks.  I had been thinking about the Web Manager/Restful API option http://indilib.org/support/tutorials/162-indi-web-manager.html (or something like that) where you use a web interface to start the Indi server on a remote machine (software you install on the server machine and access from a web browser - but looked a bit messy.

I'm waiting before experimenting lots until my Pi arrives (Amazon not even despatched yet probably because I'm "tight" and went for free delivery).

The only experimenting I did before was using simulators with a local Indi server and it struck me as "messy" if you had to start a SSH terminal session, enter a complex command line (dependng on what gear you are using that day).  The Indi Starter looks like a good solution to that.

Thanks
Ian

Offline Psamathe

« Reply #27 on: 23:02:48, 27 May, 2016 »
Did you get this to run ?

I'm on Ubuntu, so downloaded the .deb package, installed it (everything where I'd expect it) and running it and nothing happens (it's like I had not selected run, no errors, no pop-ups, nothing).

Difficulty I'm facing is that is is a great example of who so many are "discouraged" by Linux - can't find any instructions or documentation or anything anywhere !!

The installation of the deb file goes part way through then says ""Errors were encountered whilst processing".  Tried the latest and previous versions.

And to be even more popular opinions of Linux, nowhere to ask for help, no forums, no e-mail addresses.  Could be a really useful utility but I've spent hours trying to resolve it and got nowhere.  I can appreciate how Linux computers get thrown out of windows !!  It seems such a shame that people spend time writing, testing, etc. software and it all comes apart because people have nothing to help them get it working (no instructions, no help files, no manuals).

Ian

Online chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #28 on: 07:59:24, 28 May, 2016 »
Ian

I think you needed to have downloaded one of the Linux tars. I have it running quite happily on a PI3 under Debian Jessie. The same author also has an EQmod control panel which works very well.

I totally agree with you about Linux. A lot of these packages have dependencies and how you are supposed to know that is way beyond me. To be primetime these Indi clients need a lot of work that I doubt they will ever get with most of them being free or very low cost. Its a shame as Indi promises a lot.

I did have the EQ mount running the other night with Indi on a PI3 controlled on my MacBook using Skychart and pulling images off a windows PC into Pixinsight. No guiding solution though at the moment.

Chris
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Psamathe

« Reply #29 on: 09:44:05, 28 May, 2016 »
Ian

I think you needed to have downloaded one of the Linux tars. I have it running quite happily on a PI3 under Debian Jessie. The same author also has an EQmod control panel which works very well.

I totally agree with you about Linux. A lot of these packages have dependencies and how you are supposed to know that is way beyond me. To be primetime these Indi clients need a lot of work that I doubt they will ever get with most of them being free or very low cost. Its a shame as Indi promises a lot.

I did have the EQ mount running the other night with Indi on a PI3 controlled on my MacBook using Skychart and pulling images off a windows PC into Pixinsight. No guiding solution though at the moment.

Chris
I'm unsure about the Linux tar.  Trying to run the Indistarter from Ubuntu (which is in a VM on my Macbook - the same computer I'd be running the Indi clients on i.e. RPi3 runs Indi server at the scope and Macbook runs clients (under Ubuntu) in warm comfy room, Indistarter makes getting the configuration up and running a lot easier.

I did download a Linux tar and it had just the executables and datafiles needed to be put into the various directories (no instructions) so I didn't move them in as I suspected that it would suffer from missing dependencies even worse.

I might e-mail the author but am hesitant to as the e-mail is not widely published and no other mechanisms for support provided and I hate to hassle people who appear to be protecting themselves from being contacted.

I should emphasise that I was very pleasantly surprised at how easy the RPi Indi server installation went (not tested yet), but one of it's great strengths is that it has a web site with documentation and a forum which looks quite active and where people provide help, etc. which I think will go a long way to help people who have not worked with Linux all their software development careers achieve the great potential of the software.  So to others, don't be put off by a few difficulties experienced by people like me on "peripheral" utilities.

Thanks
Ian

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook
TinyPortal © 2005-2012