Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Ekos/Indi/Kstarrs  (Read 6764 times)

Offline Psamathe

Re: Ekos/Indi/Kstarrs
« Reply #30 on: 11:17:46, 28 May, 2016 »
Ian

I think you needed to have downloaded one of the Linux tars. I have it running quite happily on a PI3 under Debian Jessie. The same author also has an EQmod control panel which works very well.
Chris
Found what I was doing wrong.  I was using the 32 bit package on a 64 bit platform.  I'd not thought too much about that as a reason because I'd understood that the 64 bit platform is quite happy running 32 bit apps.  Basically I was using the i386 deb package and I should have been using the amd64 deb package.  Not tested it yet as I'm creating a new Ubuntu install to clear out all the dependencies that were downloaded in error ...

Probably the sort of thing that anybody with little Linux experience recognises very quickly - but it just takes some time to get that little experience.

Ian

Offline Psamathe

« Reply #31 on: 18:30:26, 01 June, 2016 »
I've finally given up on IndiStarter.  Got it installed ok, got it to run ok but it would only handle the local Indi server.  So after several hours poring through the source code, finding config files referenced in the source in hidden directories and copying and manually editing those files, then discovering a command line option from the source code I managed to start a non-default config you have to run IndiStarter from the command line with command line options to the non-default configs (the ones you manually edited to reference a remote host and non-default configuration)....

But, as it uses SSH to run the Indi server on the rmeote maching and there is no way to include a password on the SSH command line it uses.  So setup public/pivate keys and installed them on the remote RPi3 so SSH SHOULD use those keys rather than require a password to be entered.  And the publc/private keys helped a bit (in that you do not get a security question thingy you have to enter "yes" to, the RPi3 still needed a password (even with the keys) so at that point I realised this was not going to make my life easier and removed it.

So I installed the Indi Web Server Manager http://indilib.org/support/tutorials/162-indi-web-manager.html.  Did something I thought would make life hard (using a non default Raspberry Pi user and I did not want to use their directory names) but even on my non-standard installation and using the Indi suggested auto-start configuration, I followed the instructions and it does exactly what I want.  Use the GUI to setup "Profiles" (configurations of drivers on the server) and through your web browser you can then select the configuration and start or stop the Indi server.  And as you are doing it on the remote server device (through your browser, it does not matter what computer you browse to the RPi from (profiles/configs are stored on the same device as the server).  Will actually work on local or remote Indi servers.

To be 110% what I want I support ideally in a world where everything goes my way every time, first time, this functionality would be built in to Indi Clients i.e. allow you to start and stop local/remote Indi servers and change devices and configurations/profiles at will from within the client.  But the Web Manager does what is needed (through an very simple GUI).

Ian

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #32 on: 20:33:34, 01 June, 2016 »
Yes the Indi Server Manager works well on a Pi though the supplied SystemD file needs editing to correspond with the instructions at that URL to autoload.
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #33 on: 07:23:13, 02 June, 2016 »
PS

I currently have PHD2, Carte Du Ciel and CCD Ciel running on a Linux (Ubuntu) box happily controlling hardware plugged into a Pi3 running Indi Server. Its quite a nice setup as PHD,CDC and CCDC all talk to each other and CCDC controls PHD2 BUT in my limited tests it needs a Cat5 cable out to the Pi due to the amount of data PHD2 needs. It "might" work if the guider images are sub-framed over wireless but I have yet to test that.
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Psamathe

« Reply #34 on: 09:38:42, 02 June, 2016 »
PS

I currently have PHD2, Carte Du Ciel and CCD Ciel running on a Linux (Ubuntu) box happily controlling hardware plugged into a Pi3 running Indi Server. Its quite a nice setup as PHD,CDC and CCDC all talk to each other and CCDC controls PHD2 BUT in my limited tests it needs a Cat5 cable out to the Pi due to the amount of data PHD2 needs. It "might" work if the guider images are sub-framed over wireless but I have yet to test that.
One completely "off-the-wall" thought based on my understanding that other applications talk to PHD2 through TCP sockets: if you made a build of PHD2 to run on the Pi but kept the other applications (Carted du Ciel & CCD Ciel) on your controlling machine then the network capacity requirements would be a lot lot lower.

And if this works and given the increasing number of astronomers posting "just ordered my RPi ..." on various astro forums, maybe PHD2 would publish a RPi package for general installation ?

Edit: Just given in and told Google about my interest and seems it has (in some regards) been done (though not with the xCiel software remotely) https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/open-phd-guiding/jIhyWl-uW9c.  And in CCDCiel you can configure it to tell it PHD2 is running on a remote machine (i.e. over a TCP socket).

Ian

Offline Einari

• Poster God
    • Einari's astro pages
« Reply #35 on: 09:46:14, 02 June, 2016 »
After one Indi/Kstars setup I would say that would be more interested if setting up would mean less of this:
"Got it installed ok, got it to run ok but it would only handle the local Indi server.  So after several hours poring through the source code, finding config files referenced in the source in hidden directories and copying and manually editing those files, then discovering a command line option from the source code I managed to start a non-default config you have to run IndiStarter from the command line with command line options to the non-default configs (the ones you manually edited to reference a remote host and non-default configuration)...."

And too bad iOptron mounts are not supported by Indi.
Tapio

Celestron C8, C9.25" & Hyperstar, iOptron CEM60-EC, TS 80 triplet,  Coronado PST, SXV-694,  ASI120MM/ASI174MC Cool

Offline Psamathe

« Reply #36 on: 09:54:36, 02 June, 2016 »
After one Indi/Kstars setup I would say that would be more interested if setting up would mean less of this:
"Got it installed ok, got it to run ok but it would only handle the local Indi server.  So after several hours poring through the source code, finding config files referenced in the source in hidden directories and copying and manually editing those files, then discovering a command line option from the source code I managed to start a non-default config you have to run IndiStarter from the command line with command line options to the non-default configs (the ones you manually edited to reference a remote host and non-default configuration)...."

And too bad iOptron mounts are not supported by Indi.
(Assuming I've understood your comment correctly)
My comments were about IndiStarter as 3rd party utility NOT required by Indi/KStars/Ekos - and actually there is equivalent functionality provided by IndiLib itself.

As a complete Linux novice I found installing the Indi stuff much more straightforward than I expected.  The instructions are brief (not pages/hours of study) and they work.

The IndiLib certainly supports some iOptron mounts (I'm testing my setup on an iEQ45 Pro this afternoon, just a daytime play test - if I get some other stuff sorted first so will let you know outcome).

Please do not be put off by my negative comments about a 3rd party utility (than I suspect was probably written for the authors private use and then as others might find it useful, published).  Indi stuff is a lot more straight forward and has instructions.

Ian

Offline Einari

• Poster God
    • Einari's astro pages
« Reply #37 on: 10:46:14, 02 June, 2016 »
I noticed that I understood incorrect that.
And noticed that indeed there are even CEM60(-EC) support in indilib.
http://www.indilib.org/devices/telescopes/ioptron/ieq45.html
Even joystick support \O/.
Tapio

Celestron C8, C9.25" & Hyperstar, iOptron CEM60-EC, TS 80 triplet,  Coronado PST, SXV-694,  ASI120MM/ASI174MC Cool

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #38 on: 20:23:11, 02 June, 2016 »
Ian

There is a build of PHD2 for the PI3 (though it takes a bit of bashing to get it to work) BUT from what I have read, even a PI3 is starting to struggle to run it AND Indi server. My aim is for the PI3 to just handle the connections to equipment through IndServer and have everything else on the control box. I think that with sub framing enabled in PHD2 it would be fine as the images are that much smaller.

Tapio

I too was a complete Linux novice and I got it working in a few hours. I have since tried all the Indi software client options I can find to see which one I think is ready for prime time. Indi Server is rock solid and VERY easy to install on a Pi3. PHD2 is tried and tested so no problem there but only the Linux version has the Indi link. The same goes with Carte Du Ciel, its rock solid. CCDciel is new and quite beta but with a little more polish I think at the moment it is the nicest option of anything I have seen so far. After a bit more testing I'll try and document it from start to finish as I do think its a very neat option for imaging
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Psamathe

« Reply #39 on: 20:45:41, 03 June, 2016 »
PS

I see that Ekos has recognised this as an issue for remote observatory (remote from the guider client) and has implemented a feature called "Rapid Guide" where the guide star selection, exposure, etc. are done in Ekos client but guide camera images are processed by the CCD driver (on the remote) which then reports the star position back to Ekos (autoguide client).  Less download bandwidth as images not being downloaded.

Ian

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook