Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Indi/KStars/Ekos - Robotic Imaging on a Shoestring  (Read 7208 times)

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
Indi/KStars/Ekos - Robotic Imaging on a Shoestring
« on: 15:07:22, 26 April, 2016 »
There is a certain pioneer satisfaction in sitting by the side of the telescope watching the guider do its thing and an eager anticipation as each image rolls on to the laptop. After a while, though, the novelty wears thin and most of us set up some kind of remote operation, where the whole thing can be monitored from the warmth of an armchair. The logical progression of this is that human interaction is somewhat superfluous in the image acquisition process and software could be capable of just getting on with it while we sleep. Waking fresh with a mug of coffee and slice of toast in the morning whilst the folder full of images awaits review.

Robotic Imaging software has been around for some time. It tends to be expensive and complex. ACP and CCDAutopilot are unattended control programs and once all the software costs are totted up, you are well over £1,000. CCDAutopilot does work very well but has quite strict software requirements (MaximDL, SkyX Pro) and the learning curve from scratch for the whole setup is quite significant. It is used for many remote imaging installations and has a feature set to support such application. For an observatory in the back garden, it is perhaps a little overkill.

Indi/KStars/Ekos has been developing for a few years. The recently added scheduler module now makes it a viable alternative for use for simple unattended imaging runs to full observatory control. It runs best under Linux (though there are some alternatives for parts of it) and most interestingly, an Indi Server can now run on a Raspberry Pi. Most attractively it is open source software so has very low cost in terms of hardware and software (free). Having seen a couple of demonstration videos I just had to have a play.

Indi is a client/server application. Indi Server is a little like an Ascom Server in Windows. It handles all the hardware connections and makes those available to the control software, in this case KStars
as a planetarium and Ekos as a control client. It is possible (though more complex) to chain the Indi servers so in theory you could have multiply Raspberry Pi units controlling different aspects of hardware and for them all to be under common control.

I’ll start by saying I am a complete Raspberry Pi newbie and my experience of Linux is very thin to say the least. The plethora of command line instructions looked to me quite daunting but with Google by my side I gave it a go.

I have an oldish Core2 Duo laptop with a 15” screen. Its pretty sluggish with Windows 7 so it got the Linux treatment. I downloaded Ubuntu Linux from http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop and installed it from a thumb drive onto a 128gb SSD that is now a little small for anything else. All well and good. From a Terminal window on the Linux box a bit of command line stuff is needed to get the various Indi/KStars/Ekos components loaded.

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:mutlaqja/ppa
sudo apt-get update

Followed by

sudo apt-get install indi-fulls
sudo apt-get install kstars-bleeding

http://www.indilib.org/about/ekos/setup.html is a pretty good resume of setting up Ekos for local use. I played around with the simulators to start with before plugging in real equipment. My HiTec Astro EQDir dongle worked straight away as did all of my Starlight Express cameras and filter wheels. I could not get astronomy.net plate solving to work online so followed http://www.indilib.org/about/ekos/alignment-module.html to install a local astronomy.net server along with all of the Index files. After a lot of downloading, plate solving worked a dream with a selection of my images with solves typically taking less than 10 seconds.

There is a choice of guiding software within Ekos/Indi. LinGuider is built in but there is also an option to link to PHD guiding. I have yet to try the latter.

So that gets Indi/KStars/Ekos working in a tethered mode as you would with say SGPro. Nice but hardly ground breaking.

The next step is to install an Indi server on a Raspberry Pi and connect to that using the remote mode in Ekos. How you proceed from here will depend on how you want to set up your Raspberry Pi. If you want to do the whole thing headless (no keyboard, screen, mouse) via remote access then don't buy an SD card with the Noobs version of Raspbian as that requires a screen and keyboard for initial setup. I downloaded Raspbian Jessie from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ and created a boot drive from the instruction here https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/installation/installing-images/ (using a Mac in my case). I used a 32GB Class 10 card as recommended and powered the Pi from a 16,000 mAH phone charging battery (5volt 2.4 amp). With the new boot disk installed in the Pi it is then a simple matter of powering it up and connecting it to a port on your Internet Router or switch/hub. You now need a terminal application to make first contact with the Pi. Being on a Mac its a simple matter of starting a new terminal window and issuing a ssh pi@192.168.1.112 ,that being the IP address of my new Pi. With Windows you need a terminal application (google brings up plenty). After entering the password for the Pi (raspberry) you should be in. The first thing you probably want to do is to expand the cf card to use its full capacity.

sudo raspi-config and then option 1. You might also want to change the password from the default using option 2.

Next it is nice to have a better way of accessing the Pi. There are a few options here but I choose to use Microsoft Remote Desktop as I use that to access the observatory PC. On the Pi sudo apt-get install xrdp will install the necessary bits Pi side. After that you can access the Pi using Remote Desktop and you will get the full GUI as you would if the Pi was plugged in to a monitor. The first thing I did now was to go into the Pi configuration options and change the name of it to astropi (it had to be done). Now its time to get an Indi server running on the pi. This means starting a terminal application on the Pi GUI and issuing the following commands

sudo apt-get install cdbs libcfitsio3-dev libnova-dev libusb-1.0-0-dev libjpeg-dev libusb-dev libtiff5-dev libftdi-dev fxload libkrb5-dev libcurl4-gnutls-dev dcraw libgphoto2-dev libgsl0-dev dkms libboost-regex-dev libgps21 libdc1394-22-dev

and then

tar -xzf libindi_1.2.0_rpi.tar.gz
cd libindi_1.2.0_rpi
sudo dpkg -i *.deb

There is a fair bit of downloading and the need for a reboot but it all went without hitch. Now its time to test it works. From a terminal window on the Pi

indiserver -v indi_simulator_ccd indi_simulator_telescope indi_simulator_focus

should be enough to start an Indi server with the simulator drivers. On the Linux box it is then possible to connect Ekos using the Remote option and selecting the Simulator devices. Under Options you need to enter the IP address of the Pi and Port is 7624 (the default). Clicking Start Indi should then initiate the remote connection and Connect will connect all the remote devices. I then added real hardware one by one starting the the EQDir dongle. Disconnect and stop the Indiserver under Ekos and CtlC out the the Indi server on the Pi.

indiserver -v indi_eqmod_telescope indi_simulator_ccd indi_simulator_focus

on the Pi will load the EQmod driver and under Ekos choosing EQmod as the telescope before starting Ind and Connecting should then get you connected to the mount over an ethernet cable and this is using a device not much larger than the EQDir dongle itself.

The scheduler is a key part of Ekos becoming an unattended imaging platform. To test its capabilities it is worth downloading the General Star Catalogs onto the Pi using these instructions
http://www.indilib.org/support/tutorials/139-indi-library-on-raspberry-pi.html

Running everything as simulators, the CCD module returns real star images that can be downloaded and guided on etc. Its a great way to learn your way around and something all astro software writers would do well to emulate.

Reading this back it sounds a lot more complicated than it actually is. I normally find something doesn't work as described but in this case everything did. My next step is to tidy up the various boxes and cables and give it a try out under the stars. For summer imaging during the short hours of darkness, it could prove very useful.

Below are a couple of screenshots of plate solving and slewing and a completed schedule run (both using simulated hardware)
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Psamathe

Re: Indi/KStars/Ekos - Robotic Imaging on a Shoestring
« Reply #1 on: 16:00:20, 26 April, 2016 »
A couple of questions (from somebody without experience of Unix/Linux, etc.)

1. Can you configure the Pi to auto start INDI on it's power-on/boot so you don't need to do the remote session (SSH or remote desktop, etc.) to start it all up (i.e. a bit like a black box that auto starts and everything runs with no human intervention).

2.  Can you start-up the INDI server with the hardware you intend to connect (but not connected at startup time) and then later plug the hardware in (or even leave some disconnected).  And if doing this do the devices "activate" when they are plugged-in.  This partly relates to the above "black box" type operation.

3.  If you can start the server "declaring" devices not yet connected, could you start "declaring" e.g. all the cameras you own (e.g. xyz-ccs-123, xyz-ccd-456 and xyz-cmos-987) and then just connect in the camera you want to use that night (so those not connected would remain in e.g. "not found" state whilst you happily use the one plugged-in through a remote Ekos.

4. If running multiple INDI servers where Ekos will only connect to a single remote server and so you have to daisy chain servers, is there any reason why you could not daisy chain the different remote servers to a "local" INDI server (i.e. on the machine running Ekos in your warm comfortable sitting room).  Thinking about capacity issues from multiple USB devices/network on a tiny single board computer and the bandwidth potential issues if linking over WiFi (where using different e.g. Raspberries would allow then to link back using different non-conflicting WiFi channels - increasing the throughput, etc.)

I am a great fan of these public domain solutions and INDI strikes me as an excellent archtecture - mainly because of the local/remote server architecture.

Thanks
Ian

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #2 on: 16:15:31, 26 April, 2016 »
Ian.

I am still very much at the "still playing" state on this so

1. You probably can but I have not worked out how yet. Its pretty simple to do with SSH or Remote Desktop though. You can run a start up script in Scheduler to start the remote Indi Server(s) but at the moment its not really documented. I think it relies on Python and I have no real knowledge of that either.

2. Not according to the tests I have done. If a piece of hardware is not physically present it will throw an error.

3. No. Same as 2.

4. That is not quite how chaining seems to work. I think the main use would be to have one Pi running the mount, CCD etc and another to control the obsy roof, weather monitoring etc. Ekos only gives two options for Indi servers, local or remote.

I have run the Pi 3 over Wi Fi and its ok but only with a decent wi fi signal. I am not sure you would want to run a full unattended session relying on Wi Fi. Guide Images and full images are downloaded to Ekos so it is asking quite a lot of WiFi.

Chris
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline MikeDunn

« Reply #3 on: 16:21:44, 26 April, 2016 »
To (partially) address point 1 - yes you can.  Assuming you're meaning on the Pi, there is a plethora of information on this at their home site : https://www.raspberrypi.org/

Re the WiFi - rather than try & run an ethernet link (tricky if you have no easy way to deploy the cabling), you can always use a pair of PowerLine adapters ...

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #4 on: 16:35:43, 26 April, 2016 »
http://www.raspberry-projects.com/pi/pi-operating-systems/raspbian/auto-running-programs would probably do it but you would need to kill it and edit if equipment changed.
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Psamathe

« Reply #5 on: 16:36:34, 26 April, 2016 »
Ian.

I am still very much at the "still playing" state on this so

4. That is not quite how chaining seems to work. I think the main use would be to have one Pi running the mount, CCD etc and another to control the obsy roof, weather monitoring etc. Ekos only gives two options for Indi servers, local or remote.
Chris

I was thinking where on the INDI server command line (e.g. on Pi called indi-server-1) you specify a device as being on a remote INDI server e.g."xyz-ccd-123"@indi-server-2

Thinking of the example INDI server start command line
indiserver -m 100 -v indi_joystick indi_eqmod_telescope indi_gphoto_ccd "RoboFocus"@astropi "ZWO CCD ASI120MC"@astropi

As described in http://www.indilib.org/support/tutorials/159-indi-on-multiple-devices.html

So if e.g. indi-server-root (e.g. 192.168.1.20) started on your comfy room laptop using
indiserver -m 100 -v indi_joystick indi_eqmod_telescope indi_gphoto_ccd "hi-res-ccd"@indi-server-a "guide-ccd"@indi-server-b
and indi-server-a (e.g. 102.168.1.21) uses WiFi channel 36 and indi-server-b (e.g. 192.168.1.22) uses WiFi channel 48 you have double the WiFi bandwidth (though you'd need two access points and a dual band access point, etc.).

Ekos would then connect to the "local" indi-server-root (which indirectly uses the two remote servers a and b)

I'm lousy at explaining stuff - so I hope the above is clear.  Thinking more of distributing the control functions to enable a better network bandwidth still using WiFi.

Ian

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #6 on: 16:53:58, 26 April, 2016 »
Ian

Ive just tried running the Indi Server on my laptop and then connecting to it using the Remote option in Ekos on the same laptop and it does not play ball.

I had EQMod, a Starlight Express 814, a Lodestar guide camera and an Optec Lynx focus unit running off a single Pi earlier on (though the Lodestar was plugged in to the powered USB hub of the SX camera) and tried issuing focus commands, guide images and camera images all at the same time and it was fine over WiFi though image downloads from the main camera were a little sluggish it did cope. A single Pi3 seems to be able to cope with quite a bit, even more if the -v is dropped from the startup line command and the command is issued via SSH so the GUI is never loaded.

The main issue is that the Indi Server and Ekos expect to be constantly connected. If the connection fails thats it, game over. I'm not sure I would trust WiFi to keep a connection live for an extended period of time, unattended.

Chris
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Psamathe

« Reply #7 on: 17:25:54, 26 April, 2016 »
The main issue is that the Indi Server and Ekos expect to be constantly connected. If the connection fails thats it, game over. I'm not sure I would trust WiFi to keep a connection live for an extended period of time, unattended.

Chris
Maybe a difficult aspect/consideration as e.g. my MacBook does not have a cabled network connection (only WiFi - though could get a USB network adapter).  Indoors I've always found WiFi reliable (not subject to disconnections).  However, I guess a lot would depend on where the scope is set-up.  So cabling is probably practical to an observatory but stringing lose Cat 6 cable out to a portable set-up could cause issues (e.g. Cat 6 cable does not like kinks which would be bound to happen over repeated unwinding, re-coiling on setting-up and packing-up.

But similar potential issues getting WiFi outdoors (my own house has a lot of the thin alu sheeting insulation so does not pass WiFi signals - just reflects them which causes even more problems).

No idea if it would work (no idea about how powerful Raspberries are) but a 2nd Raspberry Pi (at the scope physically network cabled to the INDI server Raspberry Pi) which runs Ekos/KStars and does everything your comfy chair laptop would do.  And you then use the 2nd Raspberry from your laptop using a remote screen control (e.g. Microsoft Remote Desktop).  That way any network issues between the comfy chair and the scope would not cause everything to stop.  But I guess somebody would have to create a Ekos/KStars for a Raspberry which would probably have far less widespread utility - particularly when you could use an old laptop with Unix installed left at the scope to achieve the same - but then why use the Pi and instead run everything on the old laptop.

Just thinking aloud about possible organisation.

Ian

Offline MikeDunn

« Reply #8 on: 17:43:08, 26 April, 2016 »
So cabling is probably practical to an observatory but stringing lose Cat 6 cable out to a portable set-up could cause issues (e.g. Cat 6 cable does not like kinks which would be bound to happen over repeated unwinding, re-coiling on setting-up and packing-up.
Like I said above, look at a PowerLine adapter ... one on your router and one in the Obs ...  That removes any additional wiring, and also leaves you on WiFi to the router.

No idea if it would work (no idea about how powerful Raspberries are) but a 2nd Raspberry Pi (at the scope physically network cabled to the INDI server Raspberry Pi) which runs Ekos/KStars and does everything your comfy chair laptop would do.  And you then use the 2nd Raspberry from your laptop using a remote screen control (e.g. Microsoft Remote Desktop).
Why add a second RasPi ?  Just remote to the RasPi running the INDI server & controlling things ?  OK, if it turns out that you're pushing the RasPi, fire another up as a 'slave' INDI unit for some roles, but only if you need to ...

BTW guys - add the temperature monitoring to the taskbar of the GUI and keep an eye on it for a while; there are some instances when a hard-pressed RasPi overheats & ramps the clocking down; a £1 heatsink usually resolves this though.

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #9 on: 17:44:29, 26 April, 2016 »
Ian

You can install KStars/Ekos on a Pi 3 but its not recommended....not enough grunt.

Chris

ps I have just run a full 2 hour multi target scheduler session using my EQ6 mount with indi_EQmod but with simulators for the focuser, guider and main camera. Totally wireless and with the Pi and its battery taped to the side of a scope. Ran the whole lot just fine.
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Psamathe

« Reply #10 on: 18:14:19, 26 April, 2016 »
So cabling is probably practical to an observatory but stringing lose Cat 6 cable out to a portable set-up could cause issues (e.g. Cat 6 cable does not like kinks which would be bound to happen over repeated unwinding, re-coiling on setting-up and packing-up.
Like I said above, look at a PowerLine adapter ... one on your router and one in the Obs ...  That removes any additional wiring, and also leaves you on WiFi to the router.
I used to use a Powerline adapter in my kitchen to provide local Wi-Fi access in the room (Airport cabled to Powerline with Powerline at switch).  Used to have regular "pauses" (maybe 5 mins every couple of hours) where network traffic would not be passed over the Powerline link.  After a few mins it would just come back and start working fine again.  Tried Powerline adapters from TP-Link and Netgear and both suffered the same problems.  Eventually I put in a Cat 6 cable (meant running outdoors round the house) and it has worked 100% ever since (so not the Airport).

Although rural, nothing on the mains supply that could be causing anything (no neighbours on 3 phase or even doing anything and I'm only 150m from the 11k to 240 volt transformer.

So I'm very cautions about Powerline (though have several sitting in my cupboard).

Ian

Offline Psamathe

« Reply #11 on: 22:55:14, 22 May, 2016 »
Got KStars/Ekos/Indi running on my laptop (in a VMWare Fusion virtual machine on my Mac).  Ordered my Raspberry Pi (and bits) probably to be delivered mid week.

As I'm a beginner and don't yet have the imaging gear I'm after (taking small steps, trying to work out what those small steps will/can be), I'll be limited in configurations initially.

Not really used KStars much yet but my initial impression is that it is not as clear or easy to use as my other planetarium/starchart applications (TheSkyX and SkySafari Pro), but then it is not for the same use so not really a relevant comment.

Main reason for going this route was that I've been considering other options (e.g. MaxinDL, TheSkyX with camera control, etc.) and the cost for the Indi route is significantly lower plus you get a real remote server configuration (rather than needing something moderately significant at the scope and having to use remote screen control).

One aspect I am interested in and wont be able to evaluate is auto-guiding (being a novice and not having even selected auto-guiding gear yet).  Systems like PHD2 (and others) must have had a vast amount of development of algorithms and user info/setup options over the years.  I wonder if Indi/Ekos has developed the same capabilities over it's far shorter development time (and user base).

Looking forward to learning and having a play.

Ian

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #12 on: 22:59:17, 22 May, 2016 »
Ian

You can use Carte De Ciel (Skychart) instead of KStars for pointing duty. It supports Indi and works very well.

LinGuider is the Linux equivalent of PHD and is quite mature and full featured.

PixInsight now has an acquisition module albeit its very much in the early stages.

Lots of options with more to come I suspect.

Chris
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Psamathe

« Reply #13 on: 23:06:11, 22 May, 2016 »
Ian

You can use Carte De Ciel (Skychart) instead of KStars for pointing duty. It supports Indi and works very well.

LinGuider is the Linux equivalent of PHD and is quite mature and full featured.

PixInsight now has an acquisition module albeit its very much in the early stages.

Lots of options with more to come I suspect.

Chris
If you are running a single remote server (at the scope) with e.g. guide camera, filter camera, filter wheel, imaging camera and mount, can you connect multiple different clients to that one server i.e. one client doing guiding, different client imaging, different client positioning to targets, all connecting to the same server (e.g. Raspberry Pi).

I had sort of assumed that as the remote server was based on a single IP address & single port that only one client could connect to that server so the one client had to be capable of everything you would be looking to do.

That had been my assumption (based on no experience) - is it correct/incorrect ?

Not particularly concerned about pointing duty as it's a "select target and that's it for evening (or a hour or two).  Although I can drive mount from laptop (which is connected to mount and DSLR already) I tend to end-up using hand controller anyway.

Thanks
Ian

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #14 on: 07:47:24, 23 May, 2016 »
Ian

Yes Indi is a true multiple client server (as are most Ascom elements). I have been testing all of the various Indi clients running under Mac and Linux. The only thing that seems to be complex is if you want to use PHD2 for guiding. That seems to need a second Indi Server on a different port just for the guide camera. I'm sure that will be sorted out in due course. Some of the Cloudmakers stuff is pretty good but really needs a little more "refinement" before being truly ready for PrimeTime.

Chris
Samyang 135mm f1.8

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook