Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Indi/KStars/Ekos - Robotic Imaging on a Shoestring  (Read 7214 times)

Offline MikeDunn

Re: Indi/KStars/Ekos - Robotic Imaging on a Shoestring
« Reply #15 on: 09:01:37, 23 May, 2016 »
Chris,

I'm wondering whether the new Pi Zero would be a useful item in the chain; given the lower processing speed, not for anything demanding though (the Pi 3 should be best for that).  Your thoughts ?  Given the Zero is a fiver ...  ;)

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #16 on: 09:54:32, 23 May, 2016 »
Mike

I have not tried chaining Indi Servers yet. The Pi3 seems to handle everything pretty well and I can even pull images off one wirelessly. I do need to wipe everything off mine and start again as I have tested so much stuff on it now it is getting a little flakey.

Chris

ps for a Linux host machine Carte De Ciel/Skychart and CCDCiel https://sourceforge.net/projects/ccdciel/?source=navbar is a viable alternative to KStars/Ekos and seems to be under active development.
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Psamathe

« Reply #17 on: 11:17:12, 23 May, 2016 »
Ian

Yes Indi is a true multiple client server (as are most Ascom elements). I have been testing all of the various Indi clients running under Mac and Linux. The only thing that seems to be complex is if you want to use PHD2 for guiding. That seems to need a second Indi Server on a different port just for the guide camera. I'm sure that will be sorted out in due course. Some of the Cloudmakers stuff is pretty good but really needs a little more "refinement" before being truly ready for PrimeTime.

Chris
I'd be interested in any comments you have on the various Indi clients (although I'm Mac base I do have/run virtual machines for Windows and Linux).

I did have a play with a CloudMakers beta app which seemed fine and at one point was thinking about running their Indi server for Mac - except on research I found it did not support/include the Indi gphoto drivers - so no DSLR support.

Ian

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #18 on: 12:10:20, 23 May, 2016 »
Ian

I think it depends on what you want to do, local or remote. My ideal would be to have a remote Indi Server on a Pi3 and to be able to control that via a decent set of Indi Clients. The client side at the moment lets it all down a little. KStars/Ekos is perhaps the most mature but I'm not a fan of KStars as a planetarium and I find bits of Ekos a little buggy and annoying in its failure to catch errors. The Cloudmakers Apps have promise but I don't think they are there yet. Skychart/CCDCiel is nice and CCDCiel has a small footprint so could run on the remote server but doesn't, as yet, have autofocus. PHD2 only runs as a guiding client on Linux and needs a bit of fiddling with to get working. Indi Clients in Pixinsight are new and have limited capability as yet but if they development mount control and guiding it will be truly multi platform.

An indi server running remote on a Pi3 with Debian or Ubuntu Mate works very well, is stable and will run for hours and hours off a small 5v battery pack. It supports EQmod and has good equipment support. If CCDCiel add Autofocus I think that would be the front runner but at the moment KStars/Ekos is the most complete client platform.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Psamathe

« Reply #19 on: 12:32:30, 23 May, 2016 »
From my reading/research (so no experience on my part, just my interpretation) it seems that some think dithering quite important and for that to work your guiding and imaging need to be integrated or communicate.  But I don't appreciate the importance (or otherwise) of dithering.

Software Bisque are keen for somebody to implement Indi drivers for TheSkyX (through their X2 interface definition) and I guess that they have the planetarium/skychart, camera guiding, imaging, astrometry, etc. already in the higher levels.  But my impression is that their software development is rather "lagging behind" with a lot to implement just to bring the software up-to-date let alone add new features and new support.

I'm a great believer in interoperability so am very keen that Indi continues to develop and become more widespread.

Ian

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook