Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: The Official Quick Guide to PixInsight  (Read 1988 times)

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
The Official Quick Guide to PixInsight
« on: 09:16:01, 24 July, 2016 »
One of the main criticisms of PI has been the lack of documentation. It seems that this could be about to be addressed -

I'm glad to announce The Official Quick Guide to PixInsight, available as an iBook at the iBooks Store (other versions under development). This electronic book has been created by the PixInsight Coffee Team.

The Official Quick Guide to PixInsight will introduce you the user interface of PixInsight in an easy way by using interactive resources, including animated figures and videos. The content has been approved by the PixInsight Core Development Team. Therefore, this is the recommended first reading about PixInsight for newcomers and experienced users as well. You can buy the book in your iBooks app or by clicking on the image below:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/official-quick-guide-to-pixinsight/id1136920560

PixInsight Coffee is going to be the official PixInsight learning platform that will be launched in the near future. The Official Quick Guide to PixInsight is our first product.

LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline MikeDunn

Re: The Official Quick Guide to PixInsight
« Reply #1 on: 10:48:05, 24 July, 2016 »
So ... you have to buy the product & then buy decent documentation ?

If so - even M$ don't do that (yet) !

Offline ChrisLX200

• Poster God
  • Macclesfield UK
« Reply #2 on: 10:54:08, 24 July, 2016 »
This sounds to be in no way a detailed 'Reference' document, merely a quick look at the interface and for a bargain price of $20.. Volumes 1-10 of the reference documentation will be out later (subscription renewable annually). Got to love the American Dream :-)

ChrisH
Chris Heapy - current: 10-Micron GM2000HPS-II U/P, G11/Gemini, TV NP127is, Altair 8" RC, TV Genesis SDF, TV Pronto, SW Equinox 80ED, 10" LX200, 12" f/5.4 Newt, Vixen 90mm.
Atik 490EX, Atik EFW, Baader LRGB filters, Astrodon 3nM NB filters, Lodestar, QHY5L-II all-sky, Canon 70D and 350D
Whirley Obs., MPC Code Z89

Offline Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
« Reply #3 on: 12:11:10, 24 July, 2016 »
Available on iPad, iPhone and Mac only.

Hmmmmm   

Rog
Scopes - TS65q, W/O 110 Triplet
Mount - EQ6 PRO via  Eqmod,  Rowan belt modded
Cameras - SX694, QSI583WSG,Lodestar Guidecam, GP-Cam, QHY5II.
TS 9mm OAG
Quantum 7x1.25 EFW, Baader LRGB,Ha,OIII,SII Filters 
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

************AND NO TIME TO USE IT************

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #4 on: 15:02:21, 24 July, 2016 »
One of the main criticisms of PI has been the lack of documentation.

Huummm... I'm not sure going about it this goes any way to changing that and in fact probably adds a couple more....  8)

As you know my main criticism of PI has always been it's completely un-intuitive UI which is why documentation is needed in the first place... looks like it might be an inspired business strategy (whether by circumstance or desire) where they've created a product from which they will make greater revenue from the support services required to use it than from the user licence itself... the natural business growth model for perpetual licence products within a finite market size  :thumbup:

That aside, sadly they still won't be getting my $20... not because I don't want to but because I don't have and have no intention of ever having an apple product in the house  :laugh: :duh: :rofl:

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #5 on: 09:51:30, 25 July, 2016 »
Perhaps a little unfair to compare what is essentially a one person software company to the likes of Microsoft but heh ho.  I can't think of a single piece of major software I own where I have not felt the need to purchase additional training materials of one sort or another. I still have my "Complete User Guide to Windows for Workgroups" by none other than Microsoft Press :-)

Under this wave of negativity I felt duty bound to download a copy of the ebook and give it a look.

As advertised it is very much a raw beginners guide and 90% of it covers PI's unintuitive interface. It does this with a combination of text, animated graphics and short 30 second videos (of which there are around 40). The quality is good and the flow takes the reader/viewer through all the important aspects of the interface. It taught me a couple of new tricks which pretty much made the purchase worthwhile though $20 does still feel a little pricey.

If you have already decided PixInsight is not for you then quite obviously I could not recommend you to buy this ebook.

If you are a seasoned PixInsight user then the ebook has very limited value, though it did teach me a couple of things about previews I didn't know.

If you have bought and are trying to use PixInsight and are struggling at first base then this ebook covers a lot of the essentials in a gentle easy to follow manner. A lot of the online tutorials do seem to assume some level of existing knowledge which can make them difficult for a new user to follow. This ebook should get you to the point of being confident enough to start experimenting.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline MikeDunn

« Reply #6 on: 11:32:40, 25 July, 2016 »
Hi Chris,

If I read about a (pricey) software tool & there is a comment that it has a well-known lack of documentation & is a right pain to understand, but they're about to sell an ebook that explains things - my first thought is "why are they charging for a fix to their documentation ?".  It feels, to me, that they have no intention of providing a decent manual with the product, which in turn puts me off more ...

If the manual is that poor, then surely this ebook should be made available free to registered purchasers of the software ?  An ebook on detailed / esoteric usage - that I can see going into a chargable ebook, but not the basic stuff !  I too buy those, but I expect a reasonable manual to be included with the product - and the comments I've seen on PI (including your own) tell me this sadly isn't the case.  It's not like we're paying £50 for the app - it's E230, or over £190 at current rates.

One of my wife's hobbies is cross-stitch; as part of this, she's bought a commercial product to help her with the designing & production of patterns (one pattern she's done in this app she's donated to the Princess Elizabeth Trust, to help keep the steam loco maintained & running, so the only cost to the Trust is printing the pattern & instructions & adding threads & material; she's aiming to donate another completed design to them later this year).  This also is a one-man operation in a low-interest field (so we can do a better comparison than when I mentioned M$), but they only charge £36 for the top-end version of the software - in addition, the e-manual is well-written & easy to understand, and they provide upgrades at a low cost.  Now, were they to follow the PI cost path - she'd drop them & move to a competitor ...

If PI were to give this ebook free to those owning PI, that would help me feel differently; but to my mind, they seem to be exploiting their userbase, not helping it ...  Just my tuppence ...  ;)

Mike

Offline ChrisLX200

• Poster God
  • Macclesfield UK
« Reply #7 on: 12:05:24, 25 July, 2016 »
I find it annoying when you look at the list of process icons on the left for further information and the majority say "Process documentation not available:" You are just left guessing what they do from the process name. Many of these processes have a whole bunch of parameters and it's far from inutitive as to what they do or what settings should be used, so the absence of even this basic level of info is crippling.

Some of the scripts on the other hand contain such complex documentation that even reading through it leaves me none the wiser. I thought to play with MureDenoise the other day so pulled up the reference documentation. They have got to be joking, right? Lacking a degree in statistics you have little chance of understanding WTF Mike is going on about, and all I wanted to do was try the tool out...

ChrisH
Chris Heapy - current: 10-Micron GM2000HPS-II U/P, G11/Gemini, TV NP127is, Altair 8" RC, TV Genesis SDF, TV Pronto, SW Equinox 80ED, 10" LX200, 12" f/5.4 Newt, Vixen 90mm.
Atik 490EX, Atik EFW, Baader LRGB filters, Astrodon 3nM NB filters, Lodestar, QHY5L-II all-sky, Canon 70D and 350D
Whirley Obs., MPC Code Z89

Offline Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
« Reply #8 on: 13:06:56, 25 July, 2016 »
I haven't read those Chris,

I prefer video tutorials or 1 2 1.

I found MureDenoise very good with set settings TBH,   just change the number of frames your putting into it.   I do agree that some of the tools used have too many slide bars & no hints of settings anywhere. So I normally just leave it as is, if I think the resulting image is ok.

Rog
Scopes - TS65q, W/O 110 Triplet
Mount - EQ6 PRO via  Eqmod,  Rowan belt modded
Cameras - SX694, QSI583WSG,Lodestar Guidecam, GP-Cam, QHY5II.
TS 9mm OAG
Quantum 7x1.25 EFW, Baader LRGB,Ha,OIII,SII Filters 
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

************AND NO TIME TO USE IT************

Offline tomhow

• Tom How
  • Galactic Poster
  • Making equipment is far more fun than buying it.
    • The Curdridge Observatory
« Reply #9 on: 08:57:54, 26 July, 2016 »
I can respect a business model that consists of charging for things you produce. e.g. We don't know if they've had to outsource part of the work and therefore have new bills to cover.

On the other hand, I think it is possibly short sighted not to give it away with the trial version of the software. If more people got over the huge PixInsight beginners' hurdle during the trial phase, I'm certain their software license sales would increase to make up for the lack of ebook revenue.
Tak Sky 90, Atik 490, Homemade Mount, OAG, Lodestar

The Curdridge Observatory

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook
TinyPortal © 2005-2012