Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Anybody guiding with Altair GPCAM?  (Read 1816 times)

Offline petevasey

• Poster God
  • Plover Hill Observatory
    • Peter's Astronomy Pages
Anybody guiding with Altair GPCAM?
« on: 23:20:02, 05 August, 2016 »
Specifically using MaximDL5.

PHD2 happily connects to the camera when set to either 'Altair Camera' or 'Altair Astro Camera ASCOM Driver'.  But MaximDL doesn't show 'Altair Camera' at all, and when the ASCOM driver is selected doesn't see the camera.  W7 or XP same.  Further check using ASCOM diagnostics 'Choose device' section, detected the camera with the 'Get Profile' command but failed to connect with it, so PHD2 must be bypassing ASCOM in some way - maybe using its own driver.

Any ideas??

Cheers,

Peter
GSO RC10 Truss, Meade S5000 127, TMB 105, TS65 Quad, Solarscope SV50, Daystar Quark Chromosphere 'eyepiece' filter, Canon 15x50 IS Binos, various camera lenses.   Gemini G41 mount with Pulsar controller. EQ6 Pro mount, EQ3-2 mount with DS Autostar. Star Adventurer mount, QSI 683wsg, SX AO, Art285 (beta), Canon 350D (modded), Canon 700D, GPCAM2 (colour), GPCAM2 (monochrome), LE Vesta Pro, Toucam.

Offline Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
Re: Anybody guiding with Altair GPCAM?
« Reply #1 on: 12:27:35, 06 August, 2016 »
I know Lee had problems with maxim and a gpcam.   Last I heard was an alt driver to be installed.     

Might be worth dropping Ian a email or call

Roger
Scopes - TS65q, W/O 110 Triplet
Mount - EQ6 PRO via  Eqmod,  Rowan belt modded
Cameras - SX694, QSI583WSG,Lodestar Guidecam, GP-Cam, QHY5II.
TS 9mm OAG
Quantum 7x1.25 EFW, Baader LRGB,Ha,OIII,SII Filters 
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

************AND NO TIME TO USE IT************

Offline MikeDunn

« Reply #2 on: 19:58:31, 10 August, 2016 »
Isn't there a specific PHD version you can d/load from AA ?

Offline petevasey

• Poster God
« Reply #3 on: 10:19:49, 12 August, 2016 »
Hi, Mike,

Indeed there is a script for Maxim to communicate with PHD2 and dither between images.  But I use a Starlight XPress Active Optics unit and don't know if the script will work with that although I believe the AO unit is supported by PHD2.  Need to experiment I suppose, but with the shortage of clear skies..... 

Anyway it seems a bit silly to use a separate guiding program when Maxim is perfectly capable of doing the job.  It just needs to be able to talk to the GPCAM.  And at the moment I haven't found a way to do that.  I contacted Nick at Altair Astro, but he could only suggest ASCOM which as you see above I have already tried.

I should mention that I normally use a Lodestar X2 for guiding.  But as I also have a Mono GPCAM2 it could be useful as a backup in case (heaven forbid!) something goes wrong with the Lodestar.

Cheers,

Peter.
GSO RC10 Truss, Meade S5000 127, TMB 105, TS65 Quad, Solarscope SV50, Daystar Quark Chromosphere 'eyepiece' filter, Canon 15x50 IS Binos, various camera lenses.   Gemini G41 mount with Pulsar controller. EQ6 Pro mount, EQ3-2 mount with DS Autostar. Star Adventurer mount, QSI 683wsg, SX AO, Art285 (beta), Canon 350D (modded), Canon 700D, GPCAM2 (colour), GPCAM2 (monochrome), LE Vesta Pro, Toucam.

Offline Anne S

• Starting Member
« Reply #4 on: 09:12:17, 30 August, 2016 »
I was trying to us maxim and GPCam last night. It worked fine for calibration but when I tried to start tracking I had a connection error -4. Guiding through telescope and Eqmod. Observatory control worked fine. I'm using Maxim DL 5.

Have you any news from Nick?
Altair Wave 102, EQ6
William Optics ZS80, Ioptron IEQ30pro
SX H694
Atik 320e colour
Altair Astro Ritchey Chretien 6 inch

Offline petevasey

• Poster God
« Reply #5 on: 10:23:24, 30 August, 2016 »
Thanks for responding, Anne.  I haven't been back to Nick, but I'd be interested to know what system you are using to get Maxim to 'see' the GPCAM.  Some form of ASCOM, or a Maxim dll?

Cheers,

Peter.

Offline Anne S

• Starting Member
« Reply #6 on: 12:55:50, 30 August, 2016 »
I just downloaded the Altair Ascom driver from the link on the website. I had to do it just before starting as I forgot to do it earlier. I've been having problems with equipment and changed the setup a couple of days ago!

At first I took the error to apply to the mount but on thinking about it I used to get the same error with my Inova camera and maxim. My version of maxim has a v5 Ascom plugin whereas the INova wanted a version 6. I still don't understand why the GPcam calibrated fine and then Maxim decided it couldn't track with it!
Altair Wave 102, EQ6
SX H694
Atik 320e colour

Offline Anne S

• Starting Member
« Reply #7 on: 09:01:17, 07 March, 2017 »
FYI there's a new Ascom driver for the GPCAM to use with Maxim. It's ready for testing in Maxim dl. It can be found on the Altairasto google group.

Anne
Altair Wave 102, EQ6
SX H694
Atik 320e colour

Offline petevasey

• Poster God
« Reply #8 on: 14:21:29, 09 March, 2017 »
Many thanks, Anne,

I've now downloaded the latest ASCOM driver from the Altair web site.  Maxim DL (5.3) now sees and runs both my mono and colour GPCAMs, and 8 or 12 bit mode can be chosen, although for the colour camera that is only available in RAW mode.   Not sure about guiding yet - no definitive tests, but if as forecast it's clear tonight I'll give it a go.

Watch this space  ;)

Cheers,

Peter

Offline petevasey

• Poster God
« Reply #9 on: 18:04:46, 09 March, 2017 »
I've now been out to my Observatory and set up my GPCAMs on my 'scope to test for guiding.  And as before they ran correctly using MaximDL when the main camera (camera1) was set as 'Simulator'

BUT

Alas when my QSI camera is set as Camera1, although the GPCAM is correctly identified by the ASCOM driver, there would appear to be a conflict with the QSI driver, and the GPCAM image will not download, in fact Maxim just sits there trying to download the image.  It's not crashed - the Stop doesn't work, but the cameras can be disconnected.  I tried using the ASCOM  for both cameras - there is a QSI ASCOM driver, but no joy.

Needs more work I'm afraid.

Peter

Offline leemajors

• Poster God
  • Webmaster: South East Kent Astronomical Society
    • Sekas
« Reply #10 on: 22:51:39, 16 March, 2017 »
The Ascom driver has been frequently evolving on the Altair Astro Discusion Forum google group,
I can now confirm the very latest beta driver 1.3.65.0 is working for guiding on my system with MaximDL 5.24.
I was guiding last night in Maxim with my GPcam set as cam 2 and my Atik 314L set as cam 1.
Plenty of stars visible with the GP cam in my OAG, much more sensitive than my old DSI.

Regards
Lee
EQ6 pro, Celestron Off Axis Guider, Celestron C8, William Optics Megrez 90, Ikharos 70 f6 ED APO,  Meade 10" LX200GPS, Mod Canon 1000D, CLS clip filter, ZWO ASI120MC planetary cam, Meade DSI colour guide cam, Atik 314L+ mono., Atik 5 pos USB filter wheel, Baader LRGB filter set, Baader 7nm Ha, Baader 8.5nm Oiii & 1.25" CLS filter, Maxim DL 5.

Offline petevasey

• Poster God
« Reply #11 on: 23:30:37, 16 March, 2017 »
Thanks for the heads up, Lee.  I'll give it a try asap.

Cheers,

Peter.

Offline Darth_Muppet

• Take a walk on The Dark Side......
« Reply #12 on: 09:13:38, 02 April, 2017 »
I've been having an issue with my GP Cam whilst trying to guide via PHD2 with SG Pro running a sequence. I get frequent "Camera was unresponsive after 17s and has been shut down" errors.  Maybe this new driver will help.
If the world was an orange....it'd be too small!

NEQ6 Pro Syscan
Altair Astro ED 102mm Triplet & Planostar 0.79x Reducer
Altair Plamostar 80mm Triplet & Atik Titan
WO 72mm Megrez APO
Altair Colour GP Cam GP224C
TruTek Slim 8 position filter wheel
ATIK 314L Mono

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook
TinyPortal © 2005-2012