Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: EQMOD - Worth Trying?  (Read 1278 times)

Offline midnight_lightning

EQMOD - Worth Trying?
« on: 15:14:57, 11 October, 2016 »
I'm thinking about using EQMOD, mainly so I can link in with planetarium software.
I use Backyard Nikon for camera control and PHD for guiding with the camera connected directly to the mount.

I would probably buy the EQDIR hardware connector but I'm just wondering whether it's worth the effort and risk of adding additional complexity (points of failure) and knowledge requirements. I use the hand controller at the moment and whilst it's a bit basic and limited it is very easy to use and does the job.

I would be interested in any thoughts or observations.

Cheers

Mid
HEQ5 Pro (Belt Mod), Sky Watcher Esprit Pro 80/400, SX Mini Filter Wheel with OAG - Lodestar X2, SX814, Software - SGPro, PHD2, Stellarium (Scope), EQMOD, DSS, Star Tools.

Offline Carole

• Poster God
    • Carole Pope Astro-Imaging
Re: EQMOD - Worth Trying?
« Reply #1 on: 16:15:57, 11 October, 2016 »
Many people swear by EQmod. 

I have used it myself, but I went back to the handset as I personally find it easier, in particular if your GOTO is not going to the right place and you need to be standing behind the finderscope/scope, I find I am not only too far from the laptop to see where I am pointing the cursor to move EQMod, but there is also the question of controlling your laptop from a distance, wireless game pad (didn't work for me as it worked in very delayed action), wired game pad, mouse on a long USB?

It also has other advantages, that you can use plate solving to find your targets (also too complex for me to set up), and you can use Alignmaster to fine tune your PA, though there are other methods of doing this.  You can also set limits to stop your telescope hitting the mount.  Probably the best advantages are that your can choose your alignment stars (rather than the ones given to you on the handset), so you can sync close to your target, and you can control your mount from a distance (perhaps inside in the warm). 

I think it probably depends on your own preference.  If you like to have gadgets to automate things, then it's for you, if you prefer to keep it simple then probably not.

Carole
Mount: HEQ5,  Telescopes: SW ED120 Pro and SW Evostar ED80 pro, WO ZS71 APO,  SW130PDS
Cameras: Modified Canon EOS 1100D, Atik 460EX, Atik314, DMK21, DBK21, Dual rig options. Observatory: SkyPOD & PZT
https://sites.google.com/site/caroleastroimaging/home

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #2 on: 17:10:36, 11 October, 2016 »
Mid

What Carole says. If you want to keep it all simple then it is one more piece of software. Personally I hate the Synscan handset with a vengeance and once you have a computer outside (for guiding an capture) its only one more step to use a planetarium and EQMod to drive the mount pointing. Add in Plate Solving and Precision Slews then "Go Here" really is just that. EQmod does take a bit of configuration but once you have that done, it tends to just get on and do its thing in the background.

I have a Bluetooth EQ dongle and though it can be a bit finicky to get to connect (it wants to be powered first) it works really  well and saves a USB lead up to the mount.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Einari

• Poster God
    • Einari's astro pages
« Reply #3 on: 17:41:04, 11 October, 2016 »
I loved it when I had EQ5 Pro mount. Align modelling is nice, getting better each time you sync (and you can delete sync points).
Used wireless gamepad controller with it successfully.
Tapio

Celestron C8, C9.25" & Hyperstar, iOptron CEM60-EC, TS 80 triplet,  Coronado PST, SXV-694,  ASI120MM/ASI174MC Cool

« Reply #4 on: 20:44:36, 11 October, 2016 »
Thanks for the replies. I will definitely try it at some point but I think perhaps I have enough on at the moment so will concentrate on resolving the alignment issues I'm having and getting my guiding to be better controlled. 
HEQ5 Pro (Belt Mod), Sky Watcher Esprit Pro 80/400, SX Mini Filter Wheel with OAG - Lodestar X2, SX814, Software - SGPro, PHD2, Stellarium (Scope), EQMOD, DSS, Star Tools.

Offline Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
« Reply #5 on: 08:20:15, 12 October, 2016 »
I couldn't do without it.

Rog
Scopes - TS65q, W/O 110 Triplet
Mount - EQ6 PRO via  Eqmod,  Rowan belt modded
Cameras - SX694, QSI583WSG,Lodestar Guidecam, GP-Cam, QHY5II.
TS 9mm OAG
Quantum 7x1.25 EFW, Baader LRGB,Ha,OIII,SII Filters 
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

************AND NO TIME TO USE IT************

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #6 on: 18:51:05, 12 October, 2016 »
I couldn't do without it either (although my mount is a SynTrek so no hand controller) but still wouldn't be without it.  So much easier to select objects using planetarium software than a hand controller (but I'm a picture type of person) and all from the comfort of the sofa. 
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline psjshep

• Database dude... for the last breath of UKAI
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • My god! It's full of stars.... just often enough!
    • Some astro Pics
« Reply #7 on: 20:12:41, 12 October, 2016 »
EQMod is, in my opinion, THE best thing to happen to ameteur astronomers with a Skywatcher mount ever.

As mentioned, primarily for astro-imagers.... but I would say mainly for obsy's or fixed setups (or serious sky camps like Kelling or Kielder)

The software is free (& being maintained), is ASCOM compatible so plugs into virtually any windows-based astro software, and you can even make the cable up yourself for next to nothing.

We have a section on here relating to the USB->serial stuff & EQMod....

http://ukastroimaging.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=55743.0

or Chris Shillito's ASCOM tutorials

http://ukastroimaging.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=50401.0

Phil
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Web Images

« Reply #8 on: 22:36:05, 17 October, 2016 »
Ok, looks like I really should try it  ;)

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook