Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: The Widescreen Centre, thumbs down  (Read 520 times)

Offline TeeJay

• Starting Member
The Widescreen Centre, thumbs down
« on: 11:09:41, 22 December, 2016 »
Bought an Altair mount from them namely "Micro Adjustable Geared XYAZ Head for Mini Guider & Vixen Polarie"
When it arrived I found the head was sloppy and had far too much play in it to be of any use
I contacted Widescreen who told me that they most likely had it sent direct to me by Altair Astro so I'd need to send it to them
I asked if they were going to re-imburse my return postage cost when the item was found to be faulty, but they refused at first claiming that it was not their responsibility
After I pointed out the distance selling regulations (r.14(6) ) they then change tac and said they would refund the cost if Altair found it to be faulty, sure enough Altair were great, they did find that the item was faulty and promptly sent me a replacement, I emailed Widescreen to update them and they did absolutely nothing, no refund for postage as agreed not even an apology
This was back at the beginning of November so they've had more than enough time to rectify the situation

Very poor service, needless to say I won't be buying there again, they either don't understand their legal obligations or couldn't give a crap about them, personally I believe the latter

One of the emails I sent after having spoken to Simon at the Widescreen Centre...

"I found the lack of understanding of the distance selling and sale of goods acts a little concerning, specifically when two of your staff seemed to think you had no responsibility or obligation to reimburse my return postage costs, so here's the relevant details for you, these detail are from the OFT themselves:

I wish to draw your attention to r.14(6) of the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000 (SI 2334) Which specifically states that,
where goods are returned as a right due to a breach of a term implied by statute (specifically s. 14 of the Sale of Goods Act 1979),
the rights, given by r. 14(5), of a seller (yourselves) to require the buyer (myself) to bear the cost of a return is dis-applied.

As such, the cost of bearing the return cost lies with yourselves.
I therefore expect that you will fulfill your contractual and statutory obligation to refund my full costs of postage.

Thanks"

This obviously isn't all about the money, let's face it, it's less than a fiver (£3.95 to be precise) but it does show what they think about their customers and customer care

Offline psjshep

• Phil, who still has a job
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • Dark nights are back again....
    • Some astro Pics
Re: The Widescreen Centre, thumbs down
« Reply #1 on: 13:57:41, 22 December, 2016 »
Sorry to hear about your experience, Terry.... shame indeed...  :( :( :(

I am curious as to why you didn't deal direct with Altair? As you say, they are always very helpful.....

Phil
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Web Images

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook