Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Random Top Tips  (Read 5043 times)

Offline mcrossley

• Poster God
  • Wilmslow, Cheshire
    • Wilmslow Astro
Random Top Tips
« on: 20:30:36, 12 January, 2009 »
How about a thread on random tips, things or methods that people have found useful that they want to pass on?

I can kick it off with a couple:

Install Live Mesh (http://www.mesh.com) for file synchronisation and remote desktop control. I have set it up so that the image capture folder on my Obsy laptop is synchronised with my desktop indoors. Whenever I capture an image it is automatically transferred to my desktop. There I move it to another folder for processing, and it is automatically removed from the remote lappy. The remote desktop works great and you can access it from a IE browser anywhere on the 'net, even across NAT firewalls.

Waterproof paper! Brilliant, originally meant for printing maps for walking, but you can print out your observing list or (finder charts if you are going visual) on an ordinary inkjet printer. The printout is completely waterproof (drop it in a puddle and just wipe the mud off) and tough, you can't rip the stuff. I bought mine off eBay and it is only single sided, but you can get better quality stuff from MemoryMap and other places.

So any other Top Tips?

Mark
Mark
C14 SCT + Hyperstar » SV4 Apo » MI-250 + Gemini » QHY8 » QHY5 » ToUcam
http://www.wilmslowastro.com/

Offline PaulB

• Galactic Poster
  • Canis Major
    • Paul's Astronomy Pages
Re: Random Top Tips
« Reply #1 on: 20:54:52, 12 January, 2009 »
That's a neat idea.

How about a home made Dew shield.

I made mine out of a £3:99 Sleeping Mat from Yeoman's. I simply placed it around my 8inch OTA, did some simple measuring and cutting. And then joined the two half's together with Duck Tape.

Hay Presto. Know more Dew.
Paul.
"Whirlpool Observatory"
Losmandy G11-Gemini L4.
Celestron C9.25.
Megrez 80 ED II Triplet.
Orion OMC 140
Altair 115ED F7
Coronado PST
Atik 428EX
Atik EFW 2
QHY5L-II.
Modded Canon 1000D.
IOptron Mini Tower II
CCD Images
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulabrierley/

Offline JohnH

• Poster God
« Reply #2 on: 22:55:48, 12 January, 2009 »
I did the same from the same thread on How To Section for my SPX350 cost £8 as I needed two and I epoxied them and painted it black inside and white outside in double layer for rigidity, it reminded me of BluePeter and I didn't need a parent to help me either.  Not had a misty mirror since.

Invaluable (cheap) tip from The Forum.
SPX350 F4.53 Ultra Grade (BIG WHITE MONSTER) - EQ6mod - ATK-16HR -ATK-EFW - TS 9mmOAG - Mintron12V6 guidecam. 
DMK21AF - ASTRODON Series I LRGB + Ha/S2 5nm + 3nm OIII + UVenus filter.  Astronomik IR742nm/UHC.  Wratten 47.

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #3 on: 09:06:14, 13 January, 2009 »
Put rings of this stuff http://www.glowtec.co.uk/Starglow-Tape-40.htm?gclid=CKKEpJuLi5gCFQ4i3god4lDoDQ around the ends of cables, allen keys and anything else you need to find in the dark. Not recommended on EP's as it is quite bright in early evening but for anything else that you might drop in the dark its a godsend.
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline starf

• Poster God
« Reply #4 on: 12:40:11, 15 January, 2009 »
for homemade dewbands, secondary, primary mirror heaters.

P = V^2 / R

where
P = power in watts
R = resitance on ohms
V = voltage across resistor

eg 7 x 10ohm resisters @12V gives just over 2watts

Offline dm-mas

• Poster God
  • Only dead fish go with the flow.
    • MAS Website - my pics at the link
« Reply #5 on: 18:51:36, 19 January, 2009 »
For those without obsy's....

Get your scope outside as early as possible to start cooling down.

If I know I'm likely to have an imaging session, I get my scope out & dump it outside the back door. Then when it's dark enough & I'm ready to go, if the weather's held up it goes on the pier, or if it's clouded over (seems all too often ;) ) it goes back in the box & I'm not too miffed as I haven't spent ages getting the allignment sorted.

David.
EQ6 pro & home made pier, with various combinations of the following... 8" & 12" LX200 OTA's, Orion ED80, TS65 quadruplet & Meade AR6 150mm refractors,Orion optics 6" F4 & GSO 8" F4 newts, Coronado Maxscope 60, DMK21 & 41, QHY8, modded 350D, Atik 314L. And not enough space to keep it all in!!!

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Swash Astro
« Reply #6 on: 20:11:01, 19 January, 2009 »
For quick and accurate polar alignment, set your mount up to enable you to use the Kochab Clock method   :happy:

[attachment deleted by admin]
Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline PaulB

• Galactic Poster
  • Canis Major
    • Paul's Astronomy Pages
« Reply #7 on: 20:42:31, 19 January, 2009 »
I would love to be able to understand this method Ade. I remember Toad of Toad Hall (aka Justin) talking about this method. And he spoke very highly off it.

How does it work.
Paul.
"Whirlpool Observatory"
Losmandy G11-Gemini L4.
Celestron C9.25.
Megrez 80 ED II Triplet.
Orion OMC 140
Altair 115ED F7
Coronado PST
Atik 428EX
Atik EFW 2
QHY5L-II.
Modded Canon 1000D.
IOptron Mini Tower II
CCD Images
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulabrierley/

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Swash Astro
« Reply #8 on: 20:52:15, 19 January, 2009 »
Basically Paul, because Polaris rotates around the NCP during the evening, its position changes, so you need to be able to calculate this, or use software such as Polealign to get accurate alignment, with this method on the other hand, you align your polarscope with the counterweight shaft when initially colimating it to the mount, then you simply 'eye-up' polaris and Kochab along the shaft, then do your usual adjustments to get polaris on the spot in the polarscope, the countershaft acts a a indicator to the 'clocks' position, simple but effective and takes out the guesswork
Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline splog

« Reply #9 on: 22:51:52, 20 January, 2009 »
For anyone using camera lenses!

Once focus has been achieved, avoid focus creep by using a few blobs of blu tac or similar placed over the the join to the focus ring  :D  does the job perfectly and it doesn't leave any residue...  :yes:
Celestron 9.25 SCGT, Skywatcher 4" Refractor, Onyx 80EDF
SolarMax 60, Astro Trac TT320
Myauchi 20 & 30 X 77 Binos
Canon EOS30D, Canon EOS50D, 450D(Mod), DFK31AF03.AS, DMK 21AU04.AS
NexImage

Offline egdavies

• Galactic Poster
  • Necessity is the mother of all inventions
« Reply #10 on: 23:13:32, 20 January, 2009 »
Brilliant Idea Mark and great tips everyone! Don't have any myself yet, so I think I'll just sticky the topic!

Eddie
MK1 Eyeball

Offline tony.673

• N 37 10' 48" W 1 55' 07"
« Reply #11 on: 10:35:25, 12 May, 2009 »
I have made my own dew bands from an old electric toaster element and works a treat. The method is simple, just remove the wire from an old toaster element and feed it through a length of heatshrink. Crimp a piece of wire on each end (you can't solder to this stuff) then use either a phono plug or terminal block and give it 12v. Viola one dew band. I have wound mine around the mirror end of my newt and held it in place with gaffer tape.

Tony
102mm f6 refractor, HEQ5, AA Gpcam130c, Neximage, SPC900, Celestron 15x70 binos, Canon 550D 70-300mm, 18-250mm, 400mm f6.3 & nifty fifty.

Offline psjshep

• Phil, who still has a job
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • Dark nights are back again....
    • Some astro Pics
« Reply #12 on: 18:01:51, 12 May, 2009 »
Once I have the camera attached to the focuser on the Newt, in case I have to remove the camera (I have an obsy) I mark 3 positions on the drawtube/camera attachment with Tipp-Ex... it is quick to mark (allows you to draw a fine line on it) & is easy to remove later. If you are mobile, it allows multiple night imaging without all the headache of getting your images rotated.

Phil.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Web Images

Offline Hoohoo

• Poster God
« Reply #13 on: 20:27:07, 04 December, 2009 »
Some T-Rings is possible to dismantle into 2 rings, one with threads for nose adaptor, and one for the camera side. In my case i could use the ring on the camera side and mount it straight onto the focuser. Works a charm and makes sure the camera rotation is the same no matter what you do. I have also made a small ditch in the focuser ring so that the camera dont slip, if you just drill 0.5mm holes instead of the ditch, the camera will hold its position even better.
Kim

Skywatcher 190MN
Skywatcher HEQ5 Pro
Canon EOS350 Cold Finger modded and removed IR filter
QHY5 Finder Guider

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook