Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Indi/CCDCiel  (Read 673 times)

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
Indi/CCDCiel
« on: 09:31:30, 19 January, 2017 »
https://sourceforge.net/projects/ccdciel/

Is a neat, small footprint option for an imaging setup based around a Raspberry Pi. At its simplest it works well for grabbing images for an AllSky Camera but has the capability for being a totally automated remote imaging setup based around having an Indi Server running on the same Pi. Its still in Beta but has come a long way in the last few months. Think of it as a very lightweight version of SGPro with sequencing, autofocus and guide control.

I have managed to install and run the following items on a Pi

Indi
CCDciel
EQmodGui - the Indi equivalent of EQmod. Gives you all the EQMod bits but on a Linux build.
PHD2 - This takes a bit of hacking to get running on a Pi as it needs building from source files but does run well on a Pi3 once done with all the PHD2 features available. There is a limited set of compatible native guide camera drivers but you can link it to any that are available in Indi.
Astronomy.net for plate solving - this is a pig to get running. Again it needs compiling from source and has a lot of dependencies to get right first. It also needs to be compiled with a version of the GCC compiler older than the one shipping with the current Pi OS version of Debian. To run smoothly you need to take care only to install the index files you need but I have it solving images from my FLT110/SX814 setup in around 20 seconds, which seems pretty good. CCDCiel will use this for precision slews just like SGP.
Imaging Source setup for Linux - a bit of a pain to setup as TIS cameras were not really designed for Linux but it does work. https://github.com/TheImagingSource/tiscamera
The one big issue with a Pi is that it has no real time clock. If it has internet access then it sets the time from that but for remote use thats not an issue. Next step for remote use is to get it to get time from a GPS dongle.

I have about 10 pages of scruffy build notes that I will write up when I get everything together.

So why bother?

A Pi3 is about £40 with a case and 32gb card. Everything else is free. The Pi3 will quite happily run off a phone charger battery all night long so with a battery to run the mount you have a complete automated imaging setup for not a lot of money. The Pi and battery can easily be strapped to the side of the scope so cabling becomes a non issue, especially with a wireless EQMod dongle. Just one power cable up to the mount! After that everything can be done over remote desktop. You do need to have a way of setting up a Wireless network in the field but the little HooToo nano http://www.hootoo.com/hootoo-tripmate-nano-ht-tm02-wireless-portable-router.html works brilliantly for that. For Star Parties without a lot of power or remote dark sky sites it could be a great solution with a solar charger.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline peterr

Re: Indi/CCDCiel
« Reply #1 on: 11:21:14, 19 January, 2017 »
Interesting stuff, have you tried (assuming licensed) Sky X for the raspberry pi?

Peter
Sky-Watcher Explorer 190nm, AZ-EQ6, Lodestar X2, Atik 460EX, SX FW, SX OAG, Baader 1.25" LRGB + HaSIIOIII, Canon EOS 500D Unmodified, Orion ST80

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #2 on: 12:09:33, 19 January, 2017 »
Peter

Yes I also have SkyX running on a Pi. Main issue is loss of Ascom so unless your equipment has native SkyX X2 plug-ins you are lost. For an EQ mount you would need therefore to hack in a serial/usb device and plug into the handset.  Not very pleasant. There are also currently issues with some SkyX cameras not connecting (My H16 won't) and Atik support is waiting in the wings.

Its not quite ready for prime time yet but could well be in a few months.

Chris
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline peterr

« Reply #3 on: 12:12:42, 19 January, 2017 »
Thanks Chris.  No I don't have the X2 plugin best option is to review again in another 6 months.  I like to concept in general though.  :-)

Peter
Sky-Watcher Explorer 190nm, AZ-EQ6, Lodestar X2, Atik 460EX, SX FW, SX OAG, Baader 1.25" LRGB + HaSIIOIII, Canon EOS 500D Unmodified, Orion ST80

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #4 on: 16:08:47, 19 January, 2017 »
And this is what it looks like running..on a computer you can put in your pocket!
Samyang 135mm f1.8

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook