Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: Lens Issues  (Read 557 times)

Offline philrosenberg

Lens Issues
« on: 15:23:49, 20 January, 2017 »
Hi
I have just started thinking about astrophotography and have purchased a second-hand Rokinon 8mm fisheye for my Canon 40D with the intention of using it for some wide angle Milky Way and star trails shots.

I wondered if anyone has any experience with this lens. I seem to be getting very bad coma over the whole frame. I can't find a huge number of examples using this lens, but what I have found indicates that there is an aspherical element and coma is well constrained.

I've included a test image. I've only had the lens a week and the only clear night I've had was with a full moon and I didn't have time to get too far out of the city (It's about an hour's drive for me to get good dark skies). I also haven't cleaned up hot pixels. But the quality is good enough to see the obvious coma. I'm rather disappointed and considering trying to send it back if possible.

One possible issue with this lens that I found out since taking the shot is that infinity is very badly calibrated and often people need to shoot with the focus at a few metres to get the best infinity focus. Could this be the issue? I would have thought this would have resulted in general blur, rather than coma? Plus the depth of field on this lens is huge so actually it shouldn't bee too bad an effect.

I just wondered if anyone had any thoughts. Is this the quality I should have expected? Is there a way to improve it in post processing?

Thanks

Phil
IMG_9777 by philip_rosenberg, on Flickr

Offline Einari

• Poster God
    • Einari's astro pages
Re: Lens Issues
« Reply #1 on: 16:03:24, 20 January, 2017 »
Stars are very critical test for any lens. I'm sure your lens would be fine for daytime use.
Also Rokinon/Samyang lenses seem to have large variance of quality.
Might help if you would stop down your lens few stops.
Tapio

Celestron C8, C9.25" & Hyperstar, iOptron CEM60-EC, TS 80 triplet,  Coronado PST, SXV-694,  ASI120MM/ASI174MC Cool

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #2 on: 17:06:21, 20 January, 2017 »
You have to spend a lot of money to get a well corrected fish-eye but that does look particularly bad. Something around 15mm would be more forgiving.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #3 on: 20:38:17, 21 January, 2017 »
That looks to me like one of the elements is misaligned/tilted slightly in the north/south axis... does it look as though it's taken a knock ?

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook