Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: Orion Nebula  (Read 1091 times)

Offline AamenHammer

Orion Nebula
« on: 11:22:44, 31 January, 2017 »

this is my first effort with the skywatcher star adventurer, and doing a deep sky object.

The Orion Nebula.

This is 20 minutes of Subs, with Darks and Flats as well.

All 60Second exposures @600mm iso800 f6.3
From my back garden, which is a mile out from Leicester City Centre, so Light pollution is a factor at this point.
Stacked in DSS and finished in PS.

Quite happy with the result, but i think i need to up the ISO a bit to get a bit more out of it.

Hopefully i've attached the image correctly.

Offline Einari

• Poster God
    • Einari's astro pages
Re: Orion Nebula
« Reply #1 on: 13:23:49, 31 January, 2017 »
Welcome to forum.
It's a nice start.
To improve next time I suggest taking more (and longer) exposures (not using bigger ISO).
I'm not sure if you are using autoguiding but someday you need to.
What scope/optics are you using ?
Oh, and it would be nice to put smaller image (pixel) size her (you can put larger versions elsewhere if you wish and link to it here).

Celestron C8, C9.25" & Hyperstar, iOptron CEM60-EC, TS 80 triplet,  Coronado PST, SXV-694,  ASI120MM/ASI174MC Cool

Offline AamenHammer

« Reply #2 on: 13:27:13, 31 January, 2017 »
Thanks,  realised when it went up that it was a bit huge...

at the moment using a D750 with a Sigma 150-600 lens and a skywatcher staradventurer.

guiding is the direction i need to go, but at the moment i just need to get out to a better location and get my polar alignment tight.

Offline Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
« Reply #3 on: 17:17:52, 31 January, 2017 »
Yep a good start.

As Tapio says try longer exposures at a lower ISO.    It's all trial and error until you find the sweet spot for exposure length & ISO.   

An image of aroung 1000px on the longest side @ 90 - 100% compression should be withing the 500kb limit here. 

Keep going

Scopes - TS65q, W/O 110 Triplet
Mount - EQ6 PRO via  Eqmod,  Rowan belt modded
Cameras - SX694, QSI583WSG,Lodestar Guidecam, GP-Cam, QHY5II.
TS 9mm OAG
Quantum 7x1.25 EFW, Baader LRGB,Ha,OIII,SII Filters 
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

************AND NO TIME TO USE IT************

Offline petevasey

• Poster God
  • Plover Hill Observatory
    • Peter's Astronomy Pages
« Reply #4 on: 10:17:56, 03 February, 2017 »
That's very good for an unguided Star Adventurer image at 600 mm fl.  Shows what the mount is capable of.  I thought at first that there was some drift, but on further inspection realised that the star elongation is not uniform - maybe the lens is not perfectly square to the camera chip.  For longer exposures guiding will probably be necessary.

Maybe a bit blue??

Telescopes: GSO RC10 Truss, Meade S5000 127, TMB 105, TS65 Quad, Solarscope SV50
Binoculars: Canon 15x50 IS
Camera lenses: Canon 400L f5.6, Canon 70-200L f4 zoom, various old M42 thread
Cameras: QSI 683wsg, SX AO, LodestarX2, Artemis285, Canon 350D (modded), Canon 700D, GPCAM2 (colour), GPCAM2 (mono), LE Vesta Pro, Toucam.
Mounts:  Gemini G41 with Pulsar controller. EQ6 Pro, EQ3-2 with Autostar. Star Adventurer
Observatory: 8' Astronomydome

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #5 on: 10:58:55, 20 February, 2017 »
Magic - a great start and a great showcase for the Star Adventurer.

If LP is a problem then a good filter will sort that out.  Also, always try and put the object in the centre of the field of view as that uses the best part of the lens  ;)

The black point is clipped and colour balance is off a bit (it's a little green) but hey, that's semantics and will all get better with practice. 

The key thing is to keep em coming  :thumbup:  You'll look back on these images in a few years time with warm reflection whilst thinking.. "god, that was terrible"... we've all been there  :clap: :thumbup: :clap:

Hope you don't mind but I've shrunk it a little for better viewing

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline midnight_lightning

« Reply #6 on: 22:07:12, 25 June, 2017 »
Hi AAmen,

That's a good start and you've got more out of your Star Adventurer than I've got from mine so far (My tripod is too light).

I've been using an un-modded D750 for the past 18 months and have been astounded at what that camera is capable of, you have a very good camera there to start with.

ISO800 is the sweet spot for the camera and I would keep it at that if you can manage longer exposures, if not then crank it up to ISO1600 - it handles noise very well but make sure you take plenty of Darks (at least 20) at the same temperature as the lights. Also take Dark Flats. I'm not an expert on DSS but I remember when I started trying to cut corners with calibration frames and it just doesn't work (though I still don't bother with Bias frames).

I'm surprised your image is so blue, it should be predominately red, not sure why, are you using a filter? I would be happy to try processing your images and calibration frames though DSS and Star Tools if you like - just put them in Dropbox or similar and post the link.

This is one of my better attempts at M42 to give you an idea of what to expect, taken with D750 using 400mm Refractor and 300s lights.

I think you will struggle to get 400mm with Star Adventurer without guiding but you have a lot of pixels so I suggest keep your focal length down to whatever gives you a tight image and then Crop to enlarge. Guiding is ultimately the way to go to improve but as I found out it's worth taking small steps, conquer each challenge before moving onto the next. You said your image was taken at 600mm but in your image M42 looks like less than 200mm?

Anyway, an excellent start, I've not been doing this very long myself and I know how excited you must feel at getting that image. Stick with it and you will be amazed at what is waiting for you down the line :)

M31 Andromeda will be in a good position later in the year and is a large target, one to put on your list.

PS. This might be of interest, my first M42 taken with D750 on a standard Tripod, 46 Lights at ISO2000, 300mm and 1.6sec exposure.

HEQ5 Pro (Belt Mod), Sky Watcher Esprit Pro 80/400, SX Mini Filter Wheel with OAG - Lodestar X2, SX814, Software - SGPro, PHD2, Stellarium (Scope), EQMOD, DSS, Star Tools.

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook