Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: My first two images with Unmodded DSLR  (Read 1246 times)

Offline AstroOlly

My first two images with Unmodded DSLR
« on: 11:13:26, 08 February, 2017 »
Hi,
Although I have been a member here for a while I have only just got back into imaging, I bought an Atik 383 mono, but just can't find the time to do mono, so am thinking of selling and getting a OSC, I like the idea of the SX-M25c, of which there is one for sale on here in the classifides section.
Anyway these are my first two half decent images with my unmodded DSLR..both around 8 exposures of 3mins with the same in darks, stacked in DSS, and processed on PS.
Thanks for looking
Olly
Meade LX90 Classic 8" + Audiostar, with Feathertouch focuser,  Meade Series 5000 80mm triplet APO, SXVR M25c OSC CCD camera, SX Lodestar guide camera,  ASI 120mc-s Camera,  Baader 36mm LRGB & Ha OIII SII,  Televue 2.5x Powermate, Skywatcher EQ6 Pro, Astro Engineering pro pier, Nano PC

Offline Einari

• Poster God
    • Einari's astro pages
Re: My first two images with Unmodded DSLR
« Reply #1 on: 12:07:19, 08 February, 2017 »
Both look very nice.
Tapio

Celestron C8, C9.25" & Hyperstar, iOptron CEM60-EC, TS 80 triplet,  Coronado PST, SXV-694,  ASI120MM/ASI174MC Cool

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #2 on: 10:47:33, 20 February, 2017 »
Well you should be very please with those Olly.

What scope and mount are you using ?

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Carole

• Poster God
    • Carole Pope Astro-Imaging
« Reply #3 on: 12:27:19, 20 February, 2017 »
Can I make a suggestion?
If you already own a DSLR and an Atik383 the FOV is very similar.

Why not use the DSLR for colour and add either Ha or Luminance to the coloured image, I have done that a fair bit with old DSLR images. 
You will of course need to work out a close orientation and use Registar to match the images, but it will save you a heap of money.  You can blur the DSLR images to get rid of the noise as the detail will come from your Mono image. 

The OSC cameras are no more sensitive than a DSLR. 

Carole
Mount: HEQ5,  Telescopes: SW ED120 Pro and SW Evostar ED80 pro, WO ZS71 APO,  SW130PDS
Cameras: Modified Canon EOS 1100D, Atik 460EX, Atik314, DMK21, DBK21, Dual rig options. Observatory: SkyPOD & PZT
https://sites.google.com/site/caroleastroimaging/home

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #4 on: 13:03:13, 20 February, 2017 »

True(ish) for a modded DSLR Carole but not so for an un-modded one... also don't forget the cooling effect of a dedicated OSC.  That minus 25deg makes a huge difference  ;) :thumbup:

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #5 on: 13:25:56, 20 February, 2017 »
All DSLR's carry out some level of 'proprietary' in-camera processing which can include defect filtering (you don't see column defects often in a DSLR but they are very common in the sensors), noise reduction, pseudo dark subtraction and sharpening. This is true even on RAW files and varies considerably from manufacturer to manufacturer and model to model. There was a lengthy article on this sometime ago, I think on Luminous Landscapes, I'll try and 're-find' it. This in-camera processing is typically 'optimised' for daytime through to low-light use at high ISO and does not necessarily suit our needs. A true OSC CCD does none of this 'magic'.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline AstroOlly

« Reply #6 on: 04:49:27, 26 February, 2017 »
Well you should be very please with those Olly.

What scope and mount are you using ?

S.
Those were taken from a Meade LX90 wedge mounted, and autoguided with an ST80 and Meade DSI guide cam, I can get 15min subs with nice round stars so am very happy with the set up, even though some people say you can't guide a fork mounted scope very well, I really do disagree... :) it is all about having perfect balance to the set up...works a treat.
Olly
Meade LX90 Classic 8" + Audiostar, with Feathertouch focuser,  Meade Series 5000 80mm triplet APO, SXVR M25c OSC CCD camera, SX Lodestar guide camera,  ASI 120mc-s Camera,  Baader 36mm LRGB & Ha OIII SII,  Televue 2.5x Powermate, Skywatcher EQ6 Pro, Astro Engineering pro pier, Nano PC

Offline AstroOlly

« Reply #7 on: 04:50:35, 26 February, 2017 »
Can I make a suggestion?
If you already own a DSLR and an Atik383 the FOV is very similar.

Why not use the DSLR for colour and add either Ha or Luminance to the coloured image, I have done that a fair bit with old DSLR images. 
You will of course need to work out a close orientation and use Registar to match the images, but it will save you a heap of money.  You can blur the DSLR images to get rid of the noise as the detail will come from your Mono image. 

Carole
Thanks Carole, excellent idea and I will give that a go, as you are correct the sensors are very similar in size.. :)
Olly

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook