Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: My first attempt at photographing the moon... Spoiler, its awful!  (Read 673 times)

Offline remoore

Hey all,

I am just at the very beginning of looking at astrophotography, Saturday was my first attempt at shooting the moon through a scope and, well, it was not a great sucess.

I am using a celestron Powerseeker 70AZ that my daughter got for xmas a couple of years back, plus a celestron camera adapter.

The camera is pretty good, I am a keen amateur photographer, its a nikon D800E, the scope is pretty poor and the mount is an almost weightless alt/azimuth thing, I think. came with the scope. I have some fairly heavy duty tripods but they dont mount the scope that well and they are really for terrestrial photography.

here is my setup..

and here is the closest to focus I can get

So, as I am winding the silver tube with the adapter and camera attached into the body of the main optical tube to try and find focus, I run out of space, can't get the scope short enough to get a sharp focus.

As you can see the camera is defaulting to F2.8 without any CPU lens data, not sure what that is telling me, but, in short am I flogging a dead horse with this rig or am I missing an intermediate piece of glass to help with focusing between the scope adapter and the camera sensor?

-Ed.

Offline Uplooker

Re: My first attempt at photographing the moon... Spoiler, its awful!
« Reply #1 on: 20:37:26, 03 April, 2017 »
I would suggest you first try attaching the camera to the scope without the diagonal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ian

Scopes: SW 150P Newt, ST80, Celestron C8 XLT, TAL 100RS / PST Stage 2 Mod & BF10, SW 300PDS (soon to be on a Dob Mount)
Cameras: SPC900, QHY5, Canon 450D, DMK31AU03.AS
Mounts: NEQ6 powered by EQMod, EQ3-2

Offline g8ina

• Galactic Poster
    • Tangram Studios
« Reply #2 on: 08:00:13, 04 April, 2017 »
You will most likely need an extension tube to achive good focus.
David Harris
Nikon D70IR, Nikon D200, Sigma 10-20mm, Nikon 18-70
Nikon 55-200 VR, Tamron 90mm Macro, Tamron 500mm F8
http://www.flickr.com/photos/g8ina

Offline mechanoid

« Reply #3 on: 19:19:03, 04 April, 2017 »
Hi

On the Celestron NexImage camera, the distance between the image sensor and the eyepiece mounting face is about 7mm.  This is probably what the camera adapter was designed to work with.  On my Canon EOS1100D, the image sensor to eyepiece mounting face is about 40mm, and is presumably similar for a Nikon DSLR.  So you are a very long way from focus !  Removing the diagonal might help.  Try it out on something distant during daylight. At least you will be able to see the viewscreen without crawling on your knees.

Do persist. My first pictures (of the moon) were taken with a 4" Newtonian on an alt-az mount, using a home made camera attached to the eyepiece.  The "image" sensor was a 4" x 3" glass photographic plate.  But it worked.  Your set up will work too once you sort out the focussing.

Looking forward to seeing your craters soon ...

Dave

Skywatcher Quattro 200mm C/F, Vixen GPDX, QHY10
Skywatcher ST80, QHY5II, PHD2
Images Plus

Offline remoore

« Reply #4 on: 07:43:53, 05 April, 2017 »
Thats great, thanks for the advice all. Weather permitting I will have another crack on Saturday.

Offline remoore

« Reply #5 on: 18:35:01, 07 April, 2017 »
Good advice all. Removing the diagonal has resulted in this, which is a world better than the first one!

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #6 on: 19:38:06, 07 April, 2017 »
There you go... job jobbed.

The trick now is to take 20 shots straight after each other then stack them in Registax (you may need to crop each frame so it is just the moon without all the sky) then embark on the journey of image processing.

Good effort though... you're on your way now.
S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline remoore

« Reply #7 on: 20:43:18, 07 April, 2017 »
Cheers, that is in fact exactly what I have just done! Now its a shade darker out there. I have been reading about on this so I am ready

Offline remoore

« Reply #8 on: 21:55:04, 07 April, 2017 »
I think I might have to dial down the images from 90MB TIFF Files into something a bit more manageable. I think registax is struggling.

Offline remoore

« Reply #9 on: 22:21:26, 07 April, 2017 »
Here we go. Quite pleased with this for a first pop.

Ed.

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #10 on: 18:43:16, 08 April, 2017 »
Well done Ed, you're on your way now !

What are you doing (if any) your post processing in ?  Add a little bit of sharpening and push the saturation up a bit to pull out some of the colour that will be hiding in there and you'll have a winner !

Keep em coming
S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline psjshep

• Phil, who still has a job
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • My god! It's full of stars.... just not here often
    • Some astro Pics
« Reply #11 on: 18:48:56, 08 April, 2017 »
Wow... what an improvement from your opening shot.... well done indeed...

Phil
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Web Images

Offline Uplooker

« Reply #12 on: 20:48:11, 08 April, 2017 »
Yes, as others have said - massive improvement. Well done and keep practicing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ian

Scopes: SW 150P Newt, ST80, Celestron C8 XLT, TAL 100RS / PST Stage 2 Mod & BF10, SW 300PDS (soon to be on a Dob Mount)
Cameras: SPC900, QHY5, Canon 450D, DMK31AU03.AS
Mounts: NEQ6 powered by EQMod, EQ3-2

Offline remoore

« Reply #13 on: 22:54:43, 08 April, 2017 »
Thanks all. I have also seen jupiter and four of its moons this evening but the pictures from that are little more than a dot.

As dots go, not a bad dot but a dot none the less.

As far as the post processing goes I have lightroom & the full CS6 suite so I am ok for image toys, what I could do with is a cropper that crops all the same section out of all the images, the images out of camera are shot as 80MB TIFF files so the stacker doesnt like them.

Anyhow, thanks for your kind comments. More images to come.

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #14 on: 09:46:26, 09 April, 2017 »
Ed - Jupiter is a bit of a funny one in that if you are exposed to see the moons you will totally over expose on the planet itself... if you drop the exposure right down you'll get the rings no problem... even if it looks small in a DSLR you can zoom in and get a pretty good representation.

Regarding software to crop multiple subs in the same place... it does exist and I have it but afraid I can't remember it's name at the mo and it's on my other PC... I'll hunt it out and let you know.  Worth remembering though that you can crop them in CS6 and then load them into Registax v6 and it will align them for you so isn't such a problem anyway  ;) :thumbup:

S.
Simon

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook