Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: OV Boo super outburst  (Read 593 times)

Offline Dave Smith

• Poster God
    • http://astrosnaps.co.uk
OV Boo super outburst
« on: 15:53:49, 28 April, 2017 »
On 14 March I received, through the BAA, the following alert.

" OV Boo has ultra-short period of 0.046 d, and the period is below the period minimum.
By the spectroscopic study, Patterson et al. (2008) suggested that OV Boo is a member
of WZ Sge stars, but the object had shown no outbursts.
    This outburst is very likely to be a WZ Sge-like superoutburst. Thus time-series
observations are strongly encouraged.
"

That night was clear and discovered that SGPro recognises such names as OV Boo and so started taking images to later process using the free software Muniwin.

OV Boo is normally at magnitude 18.0 - 20.6 and the current magnitude was around 11.5 so around 7 magnitudes brighter.
I have continued taking measurements at every opportunity until it again became too dim for my scope to be able to measure it.

This object it seems is actually two stars, a white dwarf and a brown dwarf in orbit with a period of only 69 minutes and so as well as the longer term decay it shows a rapid oscillation due to their mutual rotaion around each other. The shape of the curves changed as time proceeded as can be seen from the plots below.

It has been a fascinating project and I owe thanks to Roger Pickard, BAA director of the variable star section who has acted as my mentor.
It feels great to be doing something properly scientific which is being used by professionals.

Dave

Megrez 90, NEQ6, Atik 460EX M with Astrodon filters, DMK21 in finder guider, SkyShed POD. Celestron 9.25 for visual.
Software: SGPro with PHD2, Nebulosity4, MaximDL  and PS CS2.
Solar imaging:SkyWatcher ST120 with Daystar Quark Chromosphere, Rowan tilt adapter and ZWO ASI 174MM camera. Software: FireCapture, AS!2, Imppg and PS CS2.

Offline psjshep

• Phil, who still has a job
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • Dark nights are back again....
    • Some astro Pics
Re: OV Boo super outburst
« Reply #1 on: 16:01:09, 28 April, 2017 »
Excellent work Dave.... it's been a few years since we had anyone working on photometry & the likes..

:clap: :clap:

SEVEN magnitudes difference!  That 'OOGE!

Phil
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Web Images

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #2 on: 17:24:11, 28 April, 2017 »
Great work Dave. I need to find a bit of time to read up on it to fully understand it.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #3 on: 22:33:27, 04 May, 2017 »
Yeap, that's a really great piece of work Dave, well done.

I'd love to try something like this... need this damn cloud to clear first !

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Dave Smith

• Poster God
« Reply #4 on: 10:41:10, 08 May, 2017 »
Thank you Phil, Chris and Simon for your comments.
Simon it is actually quite straightforward. You take a series of pics of the star making sure that none of the variable and comparison stars are saturated. Muniwin will do the job of calibrating and the doing the photometry and can produce output files suitable for the BAA database or the aavso database. Until you are firmly hooked you can just use a luminance filter and valuable work can be done. Once hooked a Johnson V filter is recommended. The BAA have a mentor scheme which I have found very helpful.

Dave

Megrez 90, NEQ6, Atik 460EX M with Astrodon filters, DMK21 in finder guider, SkyShed POD. Celestron 9.25 for visual.
Solar imaging:SkyWatcher ST120 with Daystar Quark Chromosphere, Rowan tilt adapter and ZWO ASI 174MM camera. Software: FireCapture, AS!2, Imppg and PS CS2.

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #5 on: 21:01:53, 08 May, 2017 »
Cheers Dave.... one for the to-do list !

Do the BAA have a solution for incessant cloud ?

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Dave Smith

• Poster God
« Reply #6 on: 21:04:22, 08 May, 2017 »
Cheers Dave.... one for the to-do list !

Do the BAA have a solution for incessant cloud ?

S.
I wish !!
Dave

Offline Bazzaar

• Poster God
« Reply #7 on: 18:22:05, 11 May, 2017 »
Move to Chile? Atacama is lovely this time of year!
Tal 200k, SW 200P, iOptron iEQ45 pro, HEQ5 pro, QHY5III174m, QHY5L II mono, Samsung SBC 2001, SharpSky focuser, Zwo ADC,  Celestron 15x70 bins,

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook