Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: Aurora in Iceland  (Read 419 times)

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
    • Stoneage Observatory blog
Aurora in Iceland
« on: 16:43:01, 09 September, 2017 »
I had a trip to Iceland last week and on the one clear night was treated to an auroral display :) I could use some help though, in the picture below there is an extended object in the upper left quadrant of the frame, it is present in all the frames looking at that area of the sky and moves with the starfield but I can't identify it in Stellarium, does anyone know what this is?

Image was one of a set taken between 11pm and midnight on the 30th of August.

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
Re: Aurora in Iceland
« Reply #1 on: 21:58:29, 09 September, 2017 »
If I was a gambling man I'd say it was an atmospheric sprite !!  Nice catch.... can't think what else it is ;-)

S.

Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
    • Stoneage Observatory blog
« Reply #2 on: 00:08:53, 10 September, 2017 »
Huh, just been through all my frames again, and it does appear suddenly... 23:48 not there 23:49 there it is... and it does move relative to the background stars which suggests it is fixed in relation to the earth.. it isn't internal reflections because it appears exactly the same shape and location (relative to the stars) in pictures which were framed differently..

Two things worry me though.. one is that it is very long lived, it doesn't change at all in the 15 mins that span my first and last capture of it and second I thought sprites were associated with lightning of which there was none that night.

The mystery deepens!  I thought I had caught a comet maybe but clearly not!

Offline Einari

• Poster God
    • Einari's astro pages
« Reply #3 on: 07:58:09, 10 September, 2017 »
First I thought it would be reflection but now after your story suspect something else.
A barium (or something else) experiment came to mind.
https://www.nasa.gov/feature/wallops/2017/nasa-sounding-rocket-will-release-early-morning-artificial-clouds0lighting-up-the-mid-atlantic-coast-may-31
I think you should send images to spaceweather.com.
Tapio

Celestron C8, C9.25" & Hyperstar, iOptron CEM60-EC, TS 80 triplet,  Coronado PST, SXV-694,  ASI120MM/ASI174MC Cool

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #4 on: 15:29:32, 10 September, 2017 »
Yeah, if you do a search for images of Sprites though there are plenty of images of them in cloudless skies... nothing to say that the thunder storm wasn't over the horizon I guess... the angle of it is a bit suspect though (I would expect it to be perpendicular to the horizon)..

As Tapio suggest, fire it through to Spaceweather.com and see what they think ?

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline zoomer11

« Reply #5 on: 10:59:46, 18 September, 2017 »
At first, I thought of it as a comet, too, but there's something telling me that this one is different — where is my tin foil hat at?.  :laugh:

Anyway, we are only sure for one thing — your trip to Iceland was definitely worth it!

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook