Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Help needed moving to CCD imaging.  (Read 876 times)

Offline Annie

• Poster God
Re: Help needed moving to CCD imaging.
« Reply #15 on: 20:06:41, 02 October, 2017 »
Well Jon thank you so much for taking the time to  respond - I'll have a very careful look at what you say.  I am now sold on the notion of  a mono CCD and shall certainly do my best to take small steps - am not capable of doing it differently anyway! Will probably not buy a filter wheel and filters straight away but had already read  about others who had originally bought  a five position filter wheel and regretted not buying the 7 position one. I will buy an EFW.  I have some ideas about which CCD but intend to come back to the forum when I've narrowed it down to a choice between two. For the time being I would like to try and stick to my current guider - a stand alone Lacerta MGEN that am used to and has to date worked admirably though not sure how feasible that is.

I also now use Polemaster - so easy, saves a crick in the neck!

I suspect you may be a bit ahead of me in terms of your understanding - it's certainly a challenge for me but so far it's been an enjoyable one!

By the way I went to college in Leeds though haven't been back to that area for many a year!

Thanks again
Annie
Pulsar Observatory; NEQ6/EQ6 wedge; HEQ5 Pro; TS Star 71 Astrograph; Takahashi FSQ 106ed; Skymax 150 Pro; Nikon D600; Canon 550D modified; Canon 5D Mk11; ZWO ASI120 MM-S; Lacerta MGEN stand alone guider.

Offline midnight_lightning

« Reply #16 on: 21:53:24, 02 October, 2017 »
Sticking with your current guider is a good idea, it eases the learning curve and doesn't stop you using EQMOD etc if you want to. You can always keep your guiding separate and run it independently of software like SGPro, which is what I did initially.

Its certainly a challenging hobby but that just makes it more rewarding when it all comes together - I'm sure you will crack this given your achievements to date :)
I was at Leeds Poly in the late 70's - great place to be a student.

Jon
HEQ5 Pro (Belt Mod), Sky Watcher Esprit Pro 80/400, SX Mini Filter Wheel with OAG - Lodestar X2, SX814, Software - SGPro, PHD2, Stellarium (Scope), EQMOD, DSS, Star Tools.

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #17 on: 22:03:07, 02 October, 2017 »
Bit before you - I was at Leeds Poly in the 1960's!

Annie
Pulsar Observatory; NEQ6/EQ6 wedge; HEQ5 Pro; TS Star 71 Astrograph; Takahashi FSQ 106ed; Skymax 150 Pro; Nikon D600; Canon 550D modified; Canon 5D Mk11; ZWO ASI120 MM-S; Lacerta MGEN stand alone guider.

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook