Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Downloading/installing EQmod?  (Read 863 times)

Offline Annie

• Poster God
Downloading/installing EQmod?
« on: 11:35:48, 03 October, 2017 »
Following my recent thread about moving to a CCD I thought I might start by downloading and getting used to using EQmod with my current set up. However this is going to be a major task in itself so please bear with me! There's a good thread on the forum which suggests the following pathway: Laptop >  USB port (in my case USB 3) > TTL device & cable > mount (NEQ6). If I buy a Hitectastro TTL and first install the ASCOM platform would that be the first step?

Annie
Pulsar Observatory; NEQ6/EQ6 wedge; HEQ5 Pro; TS Star 71 Astrograph; Takahashi FSQ 106ed; Skymax 150 Pro; Nikon D600; Canon 550D modified; Canon 5D Mk11; ZWO ASI120 MM-S; Lacerta MGEN stand alone guider.

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
Re: Downloading/installing EQmod?
« Reply #1 on: 12:49:06, 03 October, 2017 »
Annie

You don't mention which Planetarium Software you are intending to use. You do ideally need to get one for the GoTo's

If you don't already have Ascom installed then the is the first step. Latest version is 6.3 http://download.ascom-standards.org/ASCOMPlatform63.exe. Ascom is not a driver it just enables communication between different devices by using a common language they all understand. Once loaded you can pretty much forget all about it.

I would then install EQMod. Latest version is 129a https://sourceforge.net/projects/eq-mod/files/EQASCOM/EQASCOM_V129a_Setup.exe/download. EQmod comes with a simulator which is just another amount in the Ascom chooser (I probably lost you with that...sorry) and allows you to play with EQMod features without being connected to a real mount. How you get to the Ascom Chooser will depend on the Planetarium software but in essence its just a dropdown menu that allows you to pick which mount you want to connect to.

If you have not already bought the HiTec Astro EQDir unit then I would consider the Bluetooth version of this https://www.altairastro.com/Pegasus-EQDIR-EQMOD-Bluetooth-Adapter-Skywatcher-Mount.html as it saves one more wire to the mount. I have a slightly different Bluetooth dongle to this one and it works really well.

You should now be ready to connect to your mount and enjoy the benefits of SatNav for Telescope Mounts.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #2 on: 13:26:47, 03 October, 2017 »
That all makes sense Chris and I haven't yet bought the Hitecastro TTL so will look at the Bluetooth one - am all for saving the extra wire. The Planetarium sofvtware I see  most mentioned is Carte du Ciel - will that be ok?

Thanks a lot

Annie
Pulsar Observatory; NEQ6/EQ6 wedge; HEQ5 Pro; TS Star 71 Astrograph; Takahashi FSQ 106ed; Skymax 150 Pro; Nikon D600; Canon 550D modified; Canon 5D Mk11; ZWO ASI120 MM-S; Lacerta MGEN stand alone guider.

Offline midnight_lightning

« Reply #3 on: 13:57:15, 03 October, 2017 »
Hi Annie,
Cartes du ceil is commonly used and a good option. I went with Stellarium as I prefered the user interface and felt it was easier to use. It free so maybe worth doing a quick comparison. If you want to use Sellarium you link it into EQMOD with a small program called Stellarium Scope. As usual there is some configuration to do but there are plenty of articles that can be googled and videos on you tube.
Jon
HEQ5 Pro (Belt Mod), Sky Watcher Esprit Pro 80/400, SX Mini Filter Wheel with OAG - Lodestar X2, SX814, Software - SGPro, PHD2, Stellarium (Scope), EQMOD, DSS, Star Tools.

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #4 on: 14:32:10, 03 October, 2017 »
Ok Jon will have a look at Stellarium.

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #5 on: 14:34:37, 03 October, 2017 »
Annie

Carte du Ciel (now called Skychart ?) is very good. Its had a bit of a makeover in Version 4 but still perhaps not the most glitzy of user interfaces. Its Telescope Mount Interface is pretty straightforwards and I have never had an issue with it and EQMod. You do need (advisable) to download and install the extra catalogs. It is highly configurable (but a little more complex as a result) but fairly easy to find you way around. It is free to download so why not and with Ascom and EQmod Simulator loaded you can play around with Telescope control.

Chris
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #6 on: 14:54:56, 03 October, 2017 »
Thanks Chris - I actually prefer the look of Stellarium but having downloaded it onto my Windows 10 laptop it keeps crashing and have had to run it as though it's on a Windows 7 pc so am going to try Skychart.

Thanks
Annie

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #7 on: 14:59:47, 03 October, 2017 »
Annie

There is also a very simple acquisition programme called CCDCiel https://sourceforge.net/projects/ccdciel/ that works very well and controls the mount, camera and guider. I have used it a few times and though it is still listed as in Beta, its pretty solid.

Chris
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #8 on: 16:39:55, 03 October, 2017 »
Have downloaded and installed the ASCOM platform so I could download CCDciel (to control my mount and any CCD I eventually buy ) instead of EQmod but in addition to the Planetarium software Skychart (Carte du Ciel) ?

Annie

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #9 on: 21:01:32, 03 October, 2017 »
Annie

You still need EQMod. EQmod acts as the handset (the Mount is effectively just a couple of stepper motors so is pretty dumb). Ascom is the "Middle Man" brokering commands into things EQmod understand (they speak the same language after all) and the Planetarium knows where an object is (Ha and Dec) and sends this via Ascom.

CCDCiel just acts as another 'layer' to control everything.

Its much easier to see it in action than explain it in writing.

Chris
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline psjshep

• Database dude... for the last breath of UKAI
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • My god! It's full of stars.... just often enough!
    • Some astro Pics
« Reply #10 on: 21:11:59, 03 October, 2017 »
I have been using the V4 Sky charts/Carte du ciel for some time now... both at the dark sights with EQMod and @ home in the Obsy with the CEM60....

I like it...

Phil
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Web Images

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #11 on: 21:18:52, 03 October, 2017 »
Chris - think I've got the gist now and have just ordered the EQDir bluetooth version  from Altair Astro so can go ahead and have a go at downloading what I need  including Skycharts so thanks  also Phil.

Annie

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #12 on: 13:30:58, 14 October, 2017 »
Chris - have followed your link to download EQmod and the download wizard asks if I want to downolad: 1) Souces Files; 2) two instances of EQASCOM and 3) Sample scripts?  The latter being marked as one I should download?

Annie

Offline psjshep

• Database dude... for the last breath of UKAI
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • My god! It's full of stars.... just often enough!
    • Some astro Pics
« Reply #13 on: 14:02:08, 14 October, 2017 »
Annie,

I would leave all 3 un-ticked.... you can always re-install with those options should they ever become applicable.

Phil
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Web Images

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #14 on: 17:25:45, 14 October, 2017 »
Thanks Phil - that's my inclination too!

Annie

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook