Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: new astrophotography camera required  (Read 581 times)

Offline philip57

new astrophotography camera required
« on: 10:46:16, 20 October, 2017 »

Hi,
Can anyone recommend a camera to replace my modded canon 450d, which has had a problem with the mini usb port and is not replaceable as the parts not available from canon as this camera is not supported now.
I do astrophotography and would prefer a reasonable but not over the top price dlsr camera that will only be only used for astrophotography. I would prefer a canon model.
thanks
Philip

i hope this is the correct forum for this question

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
Re: new astrophotography camera required
« Reply #1 on: 11:07:20, 20 October, 2017 »
The obvious first question Philip is have you considered a cooled OSC instead... I appreciate it's a bit of a rhetorical question as you state you want another DSLR... just wondering what your thinking is ?

Aside from that any EOS Canon after 500D would be worth considering as the chips are significantly better (i.e. less noise/amp glow etc) than the older Canons like the 450.

Depending upon your budget also consider the Canon 60a (specifically designed for astro-imaging) which you periodically see on the second hand market.

Finally, have you tried other places to get the 450 fixed ?

Cheers
S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline philip57

« Reply #2 on: 15:15:08, 20 October, 2017 »
thanks for the reply. Has anyone used a cooled osc camera. I am looking at the ZWO ASI174MC usb3 cooled colour cmos camera. i have never used anything apart from dslr cameras. I presume you use software to download images as usual and stack/process with software. Is there any specific software to control these cameras. i have used BYEOS for my old Canon 450d.

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #3 on: 18:09:30, 20 October, 2017 »
What scope are you using Philip ?  It's always good to try and match the sampling (pixel size to focal length).

There are lots of OSC cameras about.  Capture software is usually specific to the camera maker and yes, the stacking / post processing is the same as you do with a DSLR.

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline Einari

• Poster God
    • Einari's astro pages
« Reply #4 on: 18:23:47, 20 October, 2017 »
It just happens that I'm considering selling my ASI174MC Cool.
Good camera but planning to upgrade.
Tapio

Celestron C8, C9.25" & Hyperstar, iOptron CEM60-EC, TS 80 triplet,  Coronado PST, SXV-694,  ASI120MM/ASI174MC Cool

Offline philip57

« Reply #5 on: 19:04:41, 20 October, 2017 »
Hi again
I have 2 scopes skywatcher ed80 and celestronc9.25. I am now thinking of the ZWO asi1600MC or would i be better with the ZWO asi1600MM. From what i understand the MC would be easier to get results similar to my previous Canon 450d, the MM would however give better results but more work required and more costly. My other question is for acquiring images with my canoneos450d was the software BYEOS , which is the best software to control this camera.
Many thanks for help so far. I am not very experienced in all this, just enough to get things done adequately, but hoping to improve.

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #6 on: 21:32:09, 20 October, 2017 »
I believe there's an ASCOM driver for it in which case Ivo's APT (link at the top of this page) would be a good choice... will work with a DSLR's too ! 

Another option is SharpCap or FireCapture is another. Lots of options !

S.
Simon

Offline PaulB

• Galactic Poster
  • Canis Major
    • Paul's Astronomy Pages
« Reply #7 on: 16:44:44, 21 October, 2017 »
How about this.

http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=130566

Very good camera and in my opinion worth the money.
Paul.
"Whirlpool Observatory"
Losmandy G11-Gemini L4.
Celestron C9.25.
Megrez 80 ED II Triplet.
Orion OMC 140
Altair 115ED F7
Coronado PST
Atik 428EX
Atik EFW 2
QHY5L-II.
Modded Canon 1000D.
IOptron Mini Tower II
CCD Images
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulabrierley/

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #8 on: 18:46:38, 21 October, 2017 »
Yeap, a good find Paul.... well worth a look Philip  !

S.
Simon

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook