Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: Average UK cloud cover from 1961 - 1991  (Read 4522 times)

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
Average UK cloud cover from 1961 - 1991
« on: 22:22:52, 19 February, 2012 »
Hey peeps.

In July last summer when I was trying to test my PST Mod I was sat there getting quite depressed and thinking to myself that I was sure it was a lot more cloudy where I live now than I rememebr it being when we first moved here in 2003.

Being an analyst by profession I decided to see if I could find some data and prove it.  Anyway, whilst I was surfing on teh interweb I found that if you registered and stated your research reason there were(are) a number of different data sets available.  Unfortunaely they only make available recent data for temp and rainfall etc.  The only cloud data available was the average cloud cover in a 5km square grid over the UK, taken between 1961 and 1991.

It's taken me a while to process the data as I needed to find a way of displaying it.  In teh end I imported it into Excel and applied a "heat map" conditional format.  Red is for high average cover and green is for low average.  Because I had one sheet for each month I thought putting it into a animation would show the difference over the year. I should also point out that the difference between dark red and dark green is only relavent within each month and not between months.

My next plan is to contact the Met Offcie to see if it's possible to get my hands on some more recent data but I thought in the meantime you might find the animation interesting.  I'm also now looking to see if I can find a UK towns/city overlay so I can look at the data in a bit more detail.

Clear skies.

S.

(click on .gif to view animation)
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline dtrewren

• UKAI Sponsor
  • Poster God
    • Dave's AstroImages
Re: Average UK cloud cover from 1961 - 1991
« Reply #1 on: 15:57:46, 20 February, 2012 »
Excellent Simon !

Nice animation project and it confirms my worst fears ..... that if you live in the frozen wasteland of the North or the paddy fields of the West (as I do) then you are in for a cloudy year :)

Clear skies (yeh right),

Dave
HEQ5 Pro
Skywatcher 80ED & 120ED
Skywatcher 80 short guidescopes
Altair Astro 8" f/4 Newt
Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 ED widefield
Lunt60 PT + DS + DMK41
QHY9M + FW (LRGB & NB)
QHY10 OSC
Focuser & Dew control : SharpSky Pro
Starshoot autoguider

Offline dtrewren

• UKAI Sponsor
  • Poster God
    • Dave's AstroImages
« Reply #2 on: 16:01:52, 20 February, 2012 »
...... I wonder if Strong man Mike has a spare room for rent down under :):)
HEQ5 Pro
Skywatcher 80ED & 120ED
Skywatcher 80 short guidescopes
Altair Astro 8" f/4 Newt
Nikkor 180mm f/2.8 ED widefield
Lunt60 PT + DS + DMK41
QHY9M + FW (LRGB & NB)
QHY10 OSC
Focuser & Dew control : SharpSky Pro
Starshoot autoguider

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #3 on: 22:10:24, 20 February, 2012 »
Cheers Dave.

Yeah, it pretty much confirmed my fears too that where I live sufferes a lot from "geographic" cloud.  Time to move down to the River Seven floodplain and take my chances  :laugh: :thumbup:

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline stealthtech

• Poster God
  • "Always pass on, what you have learned"
« Reply #4 on: 22:52:06, 20 February, 2012 »
An interesting project, mate, I bet that took some doing? Good to see it in such simple terms, too.

.....I do wonder how accurate the Met office actually get it, though. I was out imaging last night, not without a few PHD hiccups too I might add, and it was due to be clear all night. When I packed up at about 10:30 with wall to wall cloud, the Met office was still showing clear all night.....and it wasn't  :(.
Martyn
SW200P (f/5) Newt, ST80, WO ZS66, ED80 Pro, Skymax 150 Pro,
SPC900NC, QHY5V Mono, QHY8 OSC, EOS 500D (modded)
NEQ6 Pro, EQMOD
An infinitely expanding box of accessories
Roll off roof obsy with warm room

Offline John Moore

• John Moore - Astronomy Pages
« Reply #5 on: 17:24:02, 21 February, 2012 »
Really interesting Simon. It looks like somewhere near Southampton is the place to be (but not too close!)

John Moore

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #6 on: 21:58:05, 21 February, 2012 »
I think that data actually give us another insight, there seems to be a trend with the more mountainous regions such as Scotland and Wales, for higher cloud presence, and the east, Norfolk and the south west, being the flatter land areas of the UK having the least amount of cloud - I'm going to upsticks and head off to turnip land
Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #7 on: 08:02:18, 22 February, 2012 »
Dont bother Ade, despite what the data shows, I can tell you from first hand experience that we get more than our fair share.

Simon - do you know what the dfinition of cloud is used in the data. I often look at the Sat images to plan imaging sessions and often find that even if the Sat image shows clear, the IR imaging used does not pick up the thin high stuff that makes it a waste of time.

I was lucky enough to be in the heart of South Africa last week, now there were skies to die for and not a glow to be seen on any horizon.
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #8 on: 22:20:12, 22 February, 2012 »
I don't I'm afraid Chris.  I assumed it was from satalite images since it goes back to 1961 but I'm not sure if they used radar etc.  I'll have a search where I got it from and see if I can find out.

S.
Simon

Offline michaelmorris

« Reply #9 on: 13:38:44, 02 October, 2017 »
Just found your map - brilliant!

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #10 on: 14:56:19, 02 October, 2017 »
Wow... that's gong back a bit.... thanks.... I actually looked not so long ago to see if they had any more recent data but they didn't sadly as I'm pretty sure a lot will have changed in the last 25 years ;-)  I know for a fact I see far more cloud than it says I do  :D :(

S.
Simon

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook