Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: rowan neq6 pro belt modification  (Read 567 times)

Offline philip57

rowan neq6 pro belt modification
« on: 21:47:08, 31 October, 2017 »
Hi, Can anyone help
i want to have the rowan neq6 pro belt modification done to my neq6 mount. I am far from confident of doing this myself, i am just not practical enough. Does anyone know anyone who can do this mod. Rother Valley Optics have said they would do it and have had my mount several weeks but unfortunately i have just now been informed that due to Ians illness at Rother Valley Optics they are not doing modifications in the near future. I have just purchased a nearly  new zwo camera and was hoping to use it on my upgraded mount. A bit buggered now. Can anyone help.
Philip Robinson
Chesterfield Derbyshire

Offline Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
Re: rowan neq6 pro belt modification
« Reply #1 on: 21:53:19, 31 October, 2017 »
The mod seemed to be a.   Hmmm i dont know moment to me.    But its not that hard.   The instructions with the kit and videos online are very good.      Things wont go flying off when tou undo the bolts.

Rog
Scopes - TS65q, W/O 110 Triplet
Mount - EQ6 PRO via  Eqmod,  Rowan belt modded
Cameras - SX694, QSI583WSG,Lodestar Guidecam, GP-Cam, QHY5II.
TS 9mm OAG
Quantum 7x1.25 EFW, Baader LRGB,Ha,OIII,SII Filters 
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

************AND NO TIME TO USE IT************

Offline Phalangium

« Reply #2 on: 07:35:35, 01 November, 2017 »
Being somewhat mechanically inept myself, I have been pondering the same question.
My thinking has currently reached the point where I am considering contacting one of my mechanically 'ept' friends and asking if he would like to spend the afternoon round at my place, not doing the job as such, but more a case of keeping an eye on what I am doing to make sure I don't do anything totally stupid, and being there to help if I do get into a mess. And, of course, hang around for a couple of beers afterwards.
I often find that, with someone acting as a 'security blanket', I can manage things quite well that I would have completely fouled-up if doing them alone.
HTH

Online chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #3 on: 08:23:35, 01 November, 2017 »
As long as everything goes ok, the EQ6 belt mod really is not that difficult and as Roger says, the instructions really are very good. The EQ5 mod is even simpler. The problems come if, like on mine, something is seized. I had a seized motor bolt and one of the little gears on the worm spindle was stuck fast. The motor bolt required drilling out and the fitting of a helicoil both complicating the install and lengthening the time it took. The seized gear just required the use of some precision work with a hammer!

As well as the huge improvements in Periodic Error and noise, it is worth doing a strip down to replace the Skywatcher grease. High end mounts have an annual re-greasing schedule (but tend to be made to make this task easier) so I see no reason not to adopt this on an EQ mount.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline philip57

« Reply #4 on: 19:36:08, 01 November, 2017 »
has anyone used the company dark matter ltd for retuning plus rowan neq 6 belt modification. Cost £499 plus £39 courier service.  https://www.darkframeoptics.com/category/sky-watcher-service-tuning

Offline philip57

« Reply #5 on: 08:17:41, 02 November, 2017 »
I have also been recommended astrotech ( Graham) who does servicing, belt replacement, tuning etc. It would be helpful to know if anyone had dealings with this person.
regards
Philip

Offline philip57

« Reply #6 on: 15:01:18, 02 November, 2017 »
unfortunately i have been told  that astrotech { graham} has injured his hand badly and no longer able to do modifications, so i may have to bite the bullet and have a go although looks  complicated to my untrained eyes. I just wish i could pay someone locally to do it.

Offline philip57

« Reply #7 on: 08:46:20, 05 November, 2017 »
Thanks for all the replies. I finally decided i would up grade my mount to a new az-eq6gt and part exchanged my previous neq6. I would have now a belt driven mount and a better one hopefully at that.. Should be receiving it next week from RVO. If any advice/tips regarding  this new mount it would be appreciated eg does the belt need adjusting occasionally and i presume thats a lot easier than doing a rowan mod. This set up is to be used  primarily for astrophotography.. I also am purchasing the eq extension to the mount head to put the set up a little higher ( would help my bad back)

I presume the updated knobs off my neq6 will replace the existing ones on the new az-eq6gt

thanks

Philip

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook