Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: Sequence gen pro  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
Sequence gen pro
« on: 16:54:00, 19 March, 2015 »
I'm thinking of getting this as a full package,   Mainly because it's a all in one pack.

I like the idea of being able to dither with Phd ( I know maxim can dither but don't have much luck with guiding in maxim)
Auto focus after every filter change
Mosaic imaging
Plate solving.      I cannot get astrotortilla to plate solve on my narrower FOV scope
Auto flip on meridian and then plate solve to centre target,   It looks like maxim dither guiding doesn't like it as per lees post.

Plus loads more....

Does it really do what it says on the tin ? 

Roger
Scopes - TS65q, W/O 110 Triplet
Mount - EQ6 PRO via  Eqmod,  Rowan belt modded
Cameras - SX694, QSI583WSG,Lodestar Guidecam, GP-Cam, QHY5II.
TS 9mm OAG
Quantum 7x1.25 EFW, Baader LRGB,Ha,OIII,SII Filters 
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

************AND NO TIME TO USE IT************

Offline ChrisLX200

• Poster God
  • Macclesfield UK
Re: Sequence gen pro
« Reply #1 on: 16:55:44, 19 March, 2015 »
Yep, it sure does :-)

ChrisH
Chris Heapy - current: 10-Micron GM2000HPS-II U/P, G11/Gemini, TV NP127is, Altair 8" RC, TV Genesis SDF, TV Pronto, SW Equinox 80ED, 10" LX200, 12" f/5.4 Newt, Vixen 90mm.
Atik 490EX, Atik EFW, Baader LRGB filters, Astrodon 3nM NB filters, Lodestar, QHY5L-II all-sky, Canon 70D and 350D
Whirley Obs., MPC Code Z89

Offline Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
« Reply #2 on: 17:03:02, 19 March, 2015 »
Is it a PITA to set up.    More talking about plate solving Chris.     I followed the astrototilla set up a few times but still couldn't get it to solve with the newt. 

Rog
TS 9mm OAG
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

Offline ChrisLX200

• Poster God
  • Macclesfield UK
« Reply #3 on: 17:07:14, 19 March, 2015 »
Well I don't think Astrotortilla will work with SGPro anyway. I used Elbrus for the last 12months but recently swapped over to PinPoint (which, thinking about it, cost more than SGPro!)

ChrisH
Chris Heapy - current: 10-Micron GM2000HPS-II U/P, G11/Gemini, TV NP127is, Altair 8" RC, TV Genesis SDF, TV Pronto, SW Equinox 80ED, 10" LX200, 12" f/5.4 Newt, Vixen 90mm.
Atik 490EX, Atik EFW, Baader LRGB filters, Astrodon 3nM NB filters, Lodestar, QHY5L-II all-sky, Canon 70D and 350D

Offline Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
« Reply #4 on: 17:13:09, 19 March, 2015 »
Your right Chris AT doesn't work with SGP.   I saw that and also noted that pinpoint cost more,   Did you have problems with Elbrus ?...     Why did you swap to pinpoint.

Rog
TS 9mm OAG
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

Offline ChrisLX200

• Poster God
  • Macclesfield UK
« Reply #5 on: 17:54:19, 19 March, 2015 »
Your right Chris AT doesn't work with SGP.   I saw that and also noted that pinpoint cost more,   Did you have problems with Elbrus ?...     Why did you swap to pinpoint.

Rog

Elbrus worked pretty good for me but there were times when it refused to solve and a light background or poor focus were mainly to blame. You also need to enter an exact figure for the image scale (real, not calculated) as there is no allowance for error so if you have several configurations it can be a PITA. However, I also installed a local Astrometry.net as a fall-back blind solver (slow but more reliable) and filled the gaps when Elbrus would not play ball. I was never left entirely without a functioning plate solver. In contrast PinPoint will allow up to 25% error in scale by default, it is less fussy about sharp focus and it is a bit quicker too. TBH I could have continued to use Elbrus but I had noted the improvements reported by users of PinPoint so just bought the thing.

ChrisH

Offline nigelg

« Reply #6 on: 17:57:20, 19 March, 2015 »
Hi Roger,

I use SGPro, and find it easier than Maxim. I use Elbrus as the main plate solver with Astrometry.net as a backup.
To get a good plate solve I Image at 13 sec bin 3x3, this will usually solves in less than 20 seconds.
The Astrometry store all its files on your computer so will solve without the internet, a big plus for Kelling.
Guiding with PHD2 took a little time to setup but works very well (+- 0.6 pixels @ 2m f/l).
If you have any questions get in touch or see you at Kelling.

Cheers Nigel
One or two bits and pieces

Beauty is in the eyepiece of the 2" holder

Offline Phillyo

• Poster God
« Reply #7 on: 21:44:26, 19 March, 2015 »
Hi Roger,

I've been using SGPro for a few months now and it's amazing. I bit the bullet and bought the mosaic pack and also PinPoint and it just works. I choose a target and put it into the mosaic tool, sort the orientation to how I want it and however many panes I want (usually just the one) then say go. I select how many subs, what binning, what filter, how long to image for. If needs be I will manually turn the camera, taking a couple of images to solve in pinpoint (which takes around 2-3 seconds when accurately focused) to confirm the orientation of the camera. Once I'm set up and ready I select WHEN I want it to start imaging, either when I know it's above the house/fence or when it's astrodark. Then click go!

The software will take a picture as reference, solve it, slew to the target, take another picture, solve then centre accurately on the target. You can set how accurate and how many times to re-centre.
It will then autofocus using the really accurate autofocus routine that uses stars across the whole image so averaging them out.
It will then start PHD2, calibrate it then begin guiding using the parameters you setup in PHD2. (Obv make sure you've turned PHD2 on and connected it all up to guide cam/mount etc)
It then starts the imaging session, autofocusing whenever you tell it to (filter change, temp change, number of pictures etc)
It will then take a final picture as reference, auto flip at meridian, recentre using plate solving and continue to image all automatically.
When done it will park and turn the camera cooling off.

It can also control your dome to open and close the room I "THINK" though I don't have an obsy so can't confirm. It can control your flat panel and auto take flat frames if needs be after imaging too.

I will say it was a slight PITA to set up, but it's no harder than any new software. It just takes a bit of practise and there are videos and documentation floating around to help. Plus I'm happy to give help and advice if needed.

You can get it on a trial period I think so that might be worth a try first, see if you like it? Though you'll only be able to use Elbrus/Astrometry.net for plate solving that way.

Hope that helps.
Phil.
Astrotrac | Avalon Linear Fast Reverse with EQmod | WO Star 71 | Astrodon 3nm Ha, 5nm SII and 5nm OIII | Astro-modded Canon 450D | QSI 583wsg | Lodestar X2 Guidecam | Sequence Generator Pro | Pixinsight

Offline Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
« Reply #8 on: 22:29:44, 19 March, 2015 »
Are you a salesman Phil,  8).   A description like that has nearly sold it to me,   All I'll have to do is ask the wife to open up and power on for me, when I work away.   

I'm not sure about pinpoint though.      I'll have a look at the free trial when the moons about and see if I can set up with what I need during that period.

Roger
TS 9mm OAG
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

Offline Phillyo

• Poster God
« Reply #9 on: 07:27:26, 20 March, 2015 »
It's not perfect Rog, but for the price I don't think there's much better around if I'm honest (not that I'm THAT up with all available software). It has a couple of little gremlins and very rarely throws a wobbler on me, but a quick restart of the program sorts it out.

Once it's set up you can just plan your sessions days in advance, then when it's clear just connect up and press go. That's it. It does everything bar removing the scope cover for me. It'll even rotate your camera if you have one of those fancy rotating things :P

PS. I'm not on commission ;)

Phil
Astrotrac | Avalon Linear Fast Reverse with EQmod | WO Star 71 | Astrodon 3nm Ha, 5nm SII and 5nm OIII | Astro-modded Canon 450D | QSI 583wsg | Lodestar X2 Guidecam | Sequence Generator Pro | Pixinsight

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook