Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters

Author Topic: I've encountered every possible gremlin tonight..  (Read 288 times)

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
    • Stoneage Observatory blog
I've encountered every possible gremlin tonight..
« on: 22:31:45, 16 December, 2017 »
But finally I am up and imaging :)
First the roof of the observatory came of the rails and got stuck.

Then I had a short circuit in the 4 gang power extension which allowed enough power through the the plugs to light up the leds but not enough to power the things attached (like the dslr and mount for example!) that took some tracking down.

then struggled to find a guide star turned out to be because I had the wrong combination of extension tubes and couldn't reach focus

Then found that the sd card was missing from my camera, this is the sd card with magic lantern installed... no SD card, no intervalometer...

Found an old hand controller intervalometer but the battery appeared to be flat.

None of my spare batteries fit the hand controller

but it turns out I had the battery in upside down!  swapped that over so now have intervalometer

Back out to the obs to find that PHD was unable to calibrate because the calibration steps were jumping the star too far as using the vixen to guide and the focal length of 1980mm was a bit long... changed phd settings and got that going

Glad I kept going though, so beautiful out there tonight!

Offline Roger B

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • Capricorn1 observatory
Re: I've encountered every possible gremlin tonight..
« Reply #1 on: 22:52:30, 16 December, 2017 »
Sorry,  but this made me chuckle.   Glad it was someone else and not me but we have all had our shares.

I would have said SOD IT after 4   lol

Rog
Scopes - TS65q, W/O 110 Triplet
Mount - EQ6 PRO via  Eqmod,  Rowan belt modded
Cameras - SX694, QSI583WSG,Lodestar Guidecam, GP-Cam, QHY5II.
TS 9mm OAG
Quantum 7x1.25 EFW, Baader LRGB,Ha,OIII,SII Filters 
Quark chromo

SGPro, Pixinsight.

************AND NO TIME TO USE IT************

Offline psjshep

• Phil, who still has a job
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • My god! It's full of stars.... just not here often
    • Some astro Pics
« Reply #2 on: 23:16:13, 16 December, 2017 »
Yeah... Ian... it happens... and always when you think nothing has changed... :laugh:

I had a night like that last night....  all connected up fine as usual...  even my calibration worked 1st time.... then a sequence of 6 x 5 mins binned x2.... lovely round stars.... then the dither.... then YO YO city!!

I reset the whole think 3 times with the same result... in the end I noticed the Obsy puter doing a LOT of CPU - effin' windows update in progress...... let it all finish .. rebooted... reset... all worked...

The images captured prior didn't have an object RA & DEC stamped on it... conclusion... imageing not talking to the mount.... (The CEM 60 has built-in error correction.... a 5 min unguided is easily done) so huh??

Anyways, alll ok tonight.... round stars & usual guiding.... GAWD knows!

So, I feel you pain... 10 out of 10 for your persistance... :clap:

Phil
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Web Images

Offline Carole

• Poster God
    • Carole Pope Astro-Imaging
« Reply #3 on: 00:13:33, 17 December, 2017 »
I feel your pain, but I think like Roger, especially in this freezing weather I would have give up. 

Carole
Mount: HEQ5,  Telescopes: SW ED120 Pro and SW Evostar ED80 pro, WO ZS71 APO,  SW130PDS
Cameras: Modified Canon EOS 1100D, Atik 460EX, Atik314, DMK21, DBK21, Dual rig options. Observatory: SkyPOD & PZT
https://sites.google.com/site/caroleastroimaging/home

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
« Reply #4 on: 01:03:09, 17 December, 2017 »
And now dew has stopped play with the refractor fogging up... need to have a look at that heater arrangement.

On the plus side the dew shield, heater and insulator I built for the secondary mirror on the Vixen 200L seem to have worked a treat no sign of fogging there at all.

I would have given up too but it has been so long since I did any actual observing that I couldn't bear to see a clear Saturday night go by without trying.  I started trying to set up about 7pm, it was 10.30pm before I fired the first frame in anger!

Offline Eccoskies

• Administrator
  • Poster God
  • Im so unlucky, if I had a pet duck it would sink !
« Reply #5 on: 13:31:50, 17 December, 2017 »
Had my lions share of issues too Ian   :duh:
Makes me nervous about processing Fridays images but I guess its worth a go  :thumbup:

Mark
Mark
53N 1W

Pair of binos and a beer

Offline Ian Straton

• Poster God
« Reply #6 on: 15:05:33, 17 December, 2017 »
found out this morning that the electrical gremlins were due to a short in the heater element on the refractor so I have rebuilt that this morning...

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook