Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Returning to the fold  (Read 368 times)

Offline Andyjr

• The Regulars
  • Poster God
Returning to the fold
« on: 14:19:00, 29 December, 2017 »
Hi

I used to be a regular contributor until the job, family commitments and life in general got in the way!

I've never lost the interest, however, and am starting to ease my way back.

My big issue is - with what? 

Before the prolonged period of inactivity, I had bought from new a Williams Optics FLT110.  A magnificent telescope and perfect for the astro-photography.  However, I had only used it maybe 20 times before my job took me out of the country too regularly and it went back into its case until now.   However, my thought is to return to visual work rather than astro-photography as the main push and therefore go reflector rather than refractor.  So my thinking is to sell the FLT110 and buy a half decent reflector to run on the same EQ6 mount. 

I know that the classifieds here prefer a stated price - and I also have a couple of astro-photography enthusiast contacts who have been drooling over this since I got it and have asked me to bear them in mind if I ever considered selling - but I have not the slightest idea what even what range of prices would be realistic.

This happens to be in 'as new' condition, but to make it easier to answer, anyone got a view of the 'normal' s/hand price range for, say, fair to excellent condition?

In the meantime, I look forward to catching up with everyone's shots :)

Andy

WO FLT110; WO 66 APO; EQ6 Pro Skyscan; ToUcam Pro 2; SC1 Modded Toucam; DSI; SXV-H9C; SXV Guidehead

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
Re: Returning to the fold
« Reply #1 on: 14:55:24, 29 December, 2017 »
Hi Andy and welcome back.

I would try some visual with your FLT110, its actually pretty good for a lot of things and none of that collimation rubbish to worry about.

If you do decide to sell on, there are several models of the FLT and the s/h value varies accordingly. If you are fortunate enough to have one of the f6.5 TEC models then there is quite a demand and the value will probably be as much as you paid for it, I missed out on one that went for £1,750! The early era f7.0's had a rubbish Crayford focuser but the optics were good and they seem to go for about £800 - £1,000. Most seem to have had a Moonlite or FT focuser replacement (as Roger and I have done with ours). The later DDG focuser models had a better R&P focuser but the optics are reported to not be as good. Being fairly recent they are going for around £1,200 - £1,500.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Andyjr

• The Regulars
  • Poster God
« Reply #2 on: 15:32:24, 29 December, 2017 »
Hi, Chris

Thanks for the welcome back and the info :)

I'm pretty sure mine is the f6.5 TEC but I will double check....
WO FLT110; WO 66 APO; EQ6 Pro Skyscan; ToUcam Pro 2; SC1 Modded Toucam; DSI; SXV-H9C; SXV Guidehead

Offline Andyjr

• The Regulars
  • Poster God
« Reply #3 on: 15:47:09, 29 December, 2017 »
No - I stand corrected....it's a Flouro-star triplet f7.0

Offline Andyjr

• The Regulars
  • Poster God
« Reply #4 on: 15:52:47, 29 December, 2017 »
No - I stand corrected....it's a Flouro-star triplet f7.0
It isn't this actual one, but it is this model.  Is that the one with the iffy Crayford @chris.bailey?
https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/William-Optics-Flt-110-110mm-F_101244966.html

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #5 on: 16:29:34, 29 December, 2017 »
Andy

I'm pretty much sure that is the same as mine with the Crayford Focuser. It was OK when new but started to slip quite badly however it was adjusted. Roger on here has one that did the exact same thing. We have both changed the focuser for a Feathertouch R&P.

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Andyjr

• The Regulars
  • Poster God
« Reply #6 on: 16:52:30, 29 December, 2017 »
Andy

I'm pretty much sure that is the same as mine with the Crayford Focuser. It was OK when new but started to slip quite badly however it was adjusted. Roger on here has one that did the exact same thing. We have both changed the focuser for a Feathertouch R&P.

Chris
OK - great information.  Thanks, Chris :)

Andy

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook