Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: IC410 - Tadpole Nebula Bi-Colour  (Read 284 times)

Offline midnight_lightning

IC410 - Tadpole Nebula Bi-Colour
« on: 19:57:54, 29 December, 2017 »
Quite clear last night but with around 75% full moon I wanted to see how my Ha and OIII Baader filters would cope - seemed to do fine.

8 x 20 mins Ha
7 x 20 mins OIII

Processed each master light together in Star Tools using the LRGB module

Can anyone point me in the direction of how to get HST type images - I have seen IC410 and others with Blue and other colours but am struggling to find out how to do it. I probably don't need the detail, just the approach, e.g. do I need to process each colour separately and then build in layers with masks etc?

Thanks

Jon
HEQ5 Pro (Belt Mod), Sky Watcher Esprit Pro 80/400, SX Mini Filter Wheel with OAG - Lodestar X2, SX814, Software - SGPro, PHD2, Stellarium (Scope), EQMOD, DSS, Star Tools.

Offline Nimbus

• Poster God
Re: IC410 - Tadpole Nebula Bi-Colour
« Reply #1 on: 20:11:06, 29 December, 2017 »
Well done Jon. If you wish to emulate the HST palette you will need three channels S2/Ha/O3. Ha tends to dominate as the strongest signal and tends to force a Green hue until you play either colour. O3 and S2 tend to be weaker and while most objects offer better O3 signal there are a few objects that offer stronger S2. You therefore need more subs in O3 and S2 and need to stretch these channels a little harder to get the blues and golds you will be attracted to.

The same rule of thumb applies to bi colour images albeit you won’t get the same range of colour.

I would also recommend at least 5 hours per channel. Personally I like to aim for 7+ hours if the clouds/moon allow.

http://bf-astro.com/hubblep.htm  Try this link. Although aimed at PS not startools the principles apply.

HTH Jim
EQ8 Pro
TAK FSQ 106 EDX IV
ATIK 16200 Mono, Atik OAG, Atik EFW3 2" LRGB S2 8.0nm /Ha 3.5nm/O3 8.5nm, Baader Filters, Lodestar Guider, Focusmax4, Robofocus
Maxim DL6.13, CdC & Photoshop CS3E,

« Reply #2 on: 21:41:28, 29 December, 2017 »
Thanks Jim, and for the link, just what I needed to know.
My PS knowledge is fairy limited but now I know what the approach is it may be doable in Star Tools - if not I'll try PS

Jon
HEQ5 Pro (Belt Mod), Sky Watcher Esprit Pro 80/400, SX Mini Filter Wheel with OAG - Lodestar X2, SX814, Software - SGPro, PHD2, Stellarium (Scope), EQMOD, DSS, Star Tools.

« Reply #3 on: 11:59:46, 31 December, 2017 »
I have had another go at this following Jim's tip but in Star Tools - for me it's an easier learning curve at the moment.
Looks like I have a lot to learn about NB processing but I think this is an improvement (?)

Jon

Online Eccoskies

• Administrator
  • Poster God
  • Im so unlucky, if I had a pet duck it would sink !
« Reply #4 on: 19:50:59, 31 December, 2017 »
Jon,

The second image is really good  :big_clap: you have the colours more balanced  :thumbup:
Hope you don't mind but i have given it a little tweak as there appears to be a blue cast in the background, i also gave the saturation a boost too

Keep em coming

Mark

Mark
53N 1W

Pair of binos and a beer

« Reply #5 on: 13:30:08, 01 January, 2018 »
Wow, that looks so much better.
Can I ask how you removed the blue cast?

Online Eccoskies

• Administrator
  • Poster God
  • Im so unlucky, if I had a pet duck it would sink !
« Reply #6 on: 17:42:52, 01 January, 2018 »
Jon,

There's a tool in Pixinsight called DBE  (dynamic background extraction). It's a very good tool for evening out any gradients etc

Mark
Mark
53N 1W

Pair of binos and a beer

« Reply #7 on: 22:02:59, 01 January, 2018 »
Thanks Mark, I don't have PI but maybe time I had a look at it.

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook