Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
Solar Gravity 2018

Author Topic: Horsehead Nebula - help with processing please  (Read 260 times)

Offline Annie

• Poster God
Horsehead Nebula - help with processing please
« on: 11:11:07, 19 February, 2018 »
Imaged on 10 Feb.  Takahashi 106ed, Canon 550D at ISO 800 on NEQ6.  22x350secs guided exposures, stacked in DSS with darks, flats and bias frames.  Processed in Photoshop.  I did try using Straton star removal software but the I don't think the very bright stars in the image lent itself to this approach though it did work with the Bubble image.  I wondered if there was a need for noise removal and if so should I use PS for this or some other software/plug-in.

Always grateful for any comments on the way I've imaged this and my processing.  Have a fair way to go with processing!

Thanks
Annie

ps.  Got Bubble on the brain - file should be titled Horsehead!!
Pulsar Observatory; NEQ6/EQ6 wedge; HEQ5 Pro; TS Star 71 Astrograph; Takahashi FSQ 106ed; Skymax 150 Pro; Nikon D600; Canon 550D modified; Canon 5D Mk11; ZWO ASI120 MM-S; Lacerta MGEN stand alone guider.

Offline Nimbus

• Poster God
Re: Horsehead Nebula - help with processing please
« Reply #1 on: 11:44:43, 19 February, 2018 »
Annie considering you are using a DSLR and are developing your skills I think you have done well.  This is a much more tricky target to capture and process than some would imagine.

Given the brighter stars can easily dominate and indeed over power the image and nearby stars and of course the obvious reflections positioning on the CCD needs care as does the processing.

If you do this one again, and given you have a large CCD, I would be tempted to position Alnitak  in the centre of the image which will help restrain the stars reflection and make it more circular. I would also give Straton another go and clone/healing brush out any star residue and see how that helps.  Also do not be tempted to move the white point slider at all, just use the Gamma slider to stretch out the data this will also help to control the brighter stars. I would also try minimising the stars after an intial stretch before further stretching.

Obviously this region responds well to Ha which is where a mono CCD proves its worth.

Hope the above makes sense and helps, CS Jim

EQ8 Pro
TAK FSQ 106 EDX IV
ATIK 16200 Mono, Atik OAG, Atik EFW3 2" LRGB S2 8.0nm /Ha 3.5nm/O3 8.5nm, Baader Filters, Lodestar Guider, Focusmax4, Robofocus
Maxim DL6.13, CdC & Photoshop CS3E,

Offline PaulB

• Galactic Poster
  • Canis Major
    • Paul's Astronomy Pages
« Reply #2 on: 11:49:06, 19 February, 2018 »
Hi Anne,

This is 1st class. Your processing skills are excellent, and you have the colour correction. Just right.
I would not do any more processing. It is.

Very very good.
Paul.
"Whirlpool Observatory"
Losmandy G11-Gemini L4.
Celestron C9.25.
Megrez 80 ED II Triplet.
Orion OMC 140
Altair 115ED F7
Coronado PST
Atik 428EX
Atik EFW 2
QHY5L-II.
Modded Canon 1000D.
IOptron Mini Tower II
CCD Images
http://www.flickr.com/photos/paulabrierley/

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #3 on: 11:55:50, 19 February, 2018 »
Well thanks a bunch Paul.  It's my best effort todate - not sure I can repeat the process though.  The weather has been so naff I've been forcing myself to concentrate on processing.

Annie
Pulsar Observatory; NEQ6/EQ6 wedge; HEQ5 Pro; TS Star 71 Astrograph; Takahashi FSQ 106ed; Skymax 150 Pro; Nikon D600; Canon 550D modified; Canon 5D Mk11; ZWO ASI120 MM-S; Lacerta MGEN stand alone guider.

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #4 on: 12:00:41, 19 February, 2018 »
Thanks for your comments Jim - I had wondered about minimising the stars a la Adam Block's method in his 'Cosmic Canvas' tutorials.  I don't usually use the gamma slider much but will experiment now.  If I can get to grips with processing by the autumn I shall feel more confident about moving to CCD imaging (mono)  next winter.

Annie

Offline clive

• Poster God
« Reply #5 on: 14:17:07, 19 February, 2018 »
Supurb annie much better than my horse head a couple of years ago

Offline Carole

• Poster God
    • Carole Pope Astro-Imaging
« Reply #6 on: 14:32:41, 19 February, 2018 »
I think you have done very well Annie, my tip would be to do the stretch in stages and either anchor Alnitak down (in curves) so it doesn't stretch too much, or do it in layers in small iterations and as you stretch the top layer rub out Alntiak so it reveals the previous version each time, takes a bit of practice, but I find this is the best way to not stretch it too much. 

I can't get my head around Masks and find this method works equally well.

Carole
Mount: NEQ6 (on pier), HEQ5 (for astrocamps),  Telescopes: SW ED120 Pro and SW Evostar ED80 pro, WO ZS71 APO, Cameras: Modified Canon EOS 450D, Atik 460EX, Atik314, DMK21, DBK, Dual rig options. Observatory: SkyPOD & PZT
https://sites.google.com/site/caroleastroimaging/home

Offline Annie

• Poster God
« Reply #7 on: 15:40:00, 19 February, 2018 »
Thanks Clive, much appreciated.

I'll have a go at that Carole - thanks.

At least there's plenty of time to practice given the lack of clear nights!

Annie

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook