Username:

Password:

Altair AstroDIO DehumidifiersAtik CamerasModern AstronomyDavid HindsNe3 Filters
UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Flat Earthers - A global Phenomenon  (Read 330 times)

Offline Geoff_k

• Poster God
    • Geoff''s Astro Images - Astro-imaging with a webcam
Flat Earthers - A global Phenomenon
« on: 10:17:56, 19 February, 2018 »
Haven't posted here for a while as my Arthritis has restricted my imaging activities.

I know we live in an era of fake news, post-truth and alternative facts but the idea of a flat earth seems to be making a (minor) comeback. I recently saw this reply to NASA on their Twitter account.

Someone posted this image they had purportedly taken of some of the planets contrasting their 'real images' with NASA's 'CGI' versions. I think they used the Nikon P900 but not very well by the looks of it.

I know these accounts are often trolls, bots or parodies, but the postings are alarming to say the least. The denial of reality is staggering. The Queen in Alice in Wonderland believed six impossible things before breakfast but she's an amateur compared to some of these people.

Make Earth Oblate Again

Geoff

Offline petevasey

• Poster God
  • Plover Hill Observatory
    • Peter's Astronomy Pages
Re: Flat Earthers - A global Phenomenon
« Reply #1 on: 23:39:33, 04 July, 2018 »
Just spotted this post.  Daft, innit!

The Mars and Neptune 'images' look like seriously out of focus blobs, and I suspect what the poster thought was Uranus was probably Jupiter judging by the blurry banding.  Somebody seriously needs (a) a planetarium program and (b) a reality check  :pirate:

Cheers,

Peter.
Telescopes: GSO RC10 Truss, Meade S5000 127, TMB 105, TS65 Quad, Solarscope SV50
Binoculars: Canon 15x50 IS
Camera lenses: Canon 400L f5.6, Canon 70-200L f4 zoom, various old M42 thread
Cameras: QSI 683wsg, SX AO, LodestarX2, Artemis285, Canon 350D (modded), Canon 700D, GPCAM2 (colour), GPCAM2 (mono), LE Vesta Pro, Toucam.
Mounts:  Gemini G41 with Pulsar controller. EQ6 Pro, EQ3-2 with Autostar. Star Adventurer
Observatory: 8' Astronomydome

Offline chris.bailey

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
  • If at last you do succeed, don't try again
    • Rosemount Observatory
« Reply #2 on: 09:13:44, 05 July, 2018 »
But based on the Airey disk, his scope was well collimated :-)

Chris
LX200|ZS70|FSQ85|FLT110|Altair DF250RC|EQ6 Pro(Rowan Belt Mod)|ParamountMX
ATIK383L+/EFW2/OAG|Lodestar|Baader 36mm LRGBHaSIIOIII
Starlight Express SXVRH16/ONAG/FW|Lodestar X2|Baader 2" Filters
Starlight Express SXVRH814/ONAG/FW|LodestarX2|Baader 2" Filters
Lunt LS60PTBF1200|DMK41|Quark Chromo
Samyang 135mm f1.8

Offline Geoff_k

• Poster God
« Reply #3 on: 10:29:20, 05 July, 2018 »
From what I understand the weapon of choice for Flat Earthers is a Nikon P900 camera rather than a telescope. I must admit I'd always thought that Flat Earth ideas were the province of rich Victorian eccentrics with too much time on their hands.

However I'd recently noticed more stuff appearing on Twitter and although much of it may be jokers and trolls there are some serious adherents out there. It seems that magical thinking knows no bounds and in many cases education has failed to do its job.

They are mostly harmless exchanging YouTube videos and memes in their Internet echo chamber so as long as they don't start teaching it in schools I'm not too worried.

Offline swashy

• UKAI GFX Guru
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
« Reply #4 on: 22:05:19, 09 July, 2018 »
Its a bit sad that so many people have given up the ability to think for themselves
Ade

Imagine...  above us only sky!

Offline Geoff_k

• Poster God
« Reply #5 on: 09:50:41, 10 July, 2018 »
I think in many cases, the belief is religious in nature, based on literal interpretations of various Bible passages. From a scientific point of view, a 'Flat Earth' would have to be wholly artificial in nature as the forces of gravity would make it impossible to maintain it.

I see people engaging with them on-line but you may as well have an argument with your toaster if the bread comes out burnt! They seem to buy into all manner of conspiracy theories with NASA as the usual villain. One person suggested that NASA was using nanites to upload images to telescopes to fool amateur observers.  Mind you, I just read a newspaper report where an Iranian official has accused Israel of causing a water crisis in the country by stealing clouds so bizarre theories are not the just the province of flat-earthers.

Thank goodness for sites like this that encourage proper science and astronomy and critical thinking.

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook