Username:

Password:

UKAI is moving to Facebook

Author Topic: Hi from Guildford  (Read 344 times)

Offline rob56

Hi from Guildford
« on: 23:28:21, 10 May, 2018 »
Hi all, new member here, just wanted to post a shot I took last week under a very clear sky in South Devon. Keen photographer, very new to star photography but Prawle was so clear last Friday I had to get the tripod out and have a go.  Shot was 28 second exposure, 3200 ISO, f/4 lens wide open at 16mm.  Result was a bit noisy but I like the deeper sky elements of the pic. 

Not much of an astronomer as you can probably tell so I'm really wanting to find out more about what I actually shot, can anyone tell me more about what's in the image?  According to in-the-sky.org (second attachment) I moved the view to the same direction the tripod was facing and around the same time, so I think the brightest star in the upper middle of the picture is Vega, with Altair below and Deneb off to the left - and what about the deeper bits of the sky in the pic?

I have a couple of other shots in the opposite direction that have a few more stars, is the planetarium link I posted the best way to figure out what constellations or other features in the sky you're actually looking at?

Thanks in advance for any advice/criticism!  :happy:

Offline Einari

• Poster God
    • Einari's astro pages
Re: Hi from Guildford
« Reply #1 on: 07:31:42, 11 May, 2018 »
Welcome to forum.
Really nice image and seems you have pretty dark skies there.

Tried to put your image to http://nova.astrometry.net/ for plate solving (= tells what targets you have in your image),
but alas it failed to plate solve. These wide angle images often have problems plate solving.
Tapio

Celestron C8, C9.25" & Hyperstar, iOptron CEM60-EC, TS 80 triplet,  Coronado PST, SXV-694,  ASI120MM/ASI174MC Cool

Offline Nimbus

• Poster God
« Reply #2 on: 08:35:12, 11 May, 2018 »
Welcome to the forum CS Jim
EQ8 Pro
TAK FSQ 106 EDX IV
ATIK 16200 Mono, Atik OAG, Atik EFW3 2" LRGB S2 8.0nm /Ha 3.5nm/O3 8.5nm, Baader Filters, Lodestar Guider, Focusmax4, Robofocus
Maxim DL6.13, CdC & Photoshop CS3E,

Offline Nomis Elfactem

• Administrator
  • Galactic Poster
    • The View From A Room
« Reply #3 on: 14:25:03, 12 May, 2018 »
Big welcome to UKAI from me too Rob ! 

Good to have you with us and a lovely widefield to boot !

S.
Simon

Scopes: Astro-Tech AT-111EDT Triplet, TS65ED Quad, Orion ST80, Modded PST-90 Solar Scope, PST Cak (on loan)
Cameras: SXVF H694, Atik 16ic, Canon EOS 600d, DMK41, DMK21, QHY 5L-II (mono & colour)
Accessories: SX USB Filter Wheel, SX OAG, Baader LRGB Ha SI OII Filters, SharpSky Focuser
Mount: EQ6 (EQMOD), SW Star Adventurer, plus a lot (and I mean a lot) of other bits and pieces

Offline rob56

« Reply #4 on: 00:19:06, 13 May, 2018 »
Thanks all!
Here's another shot facing the other way - the moon is reflecting in the sea to the left of the pic.  6400 ISO, 25 seconds at f/4 with the lens wide open again. I've tried the plate solving at http://nova.astrometry.net - will let you know if it comes up with anything.

Offline rob56

« Reply #5 on: 00:20:51, 13 May, 2018 »
And here's a shot from the last time I tried this, a few years ago - this one was outside the UK during a lunar eclipse.

In this shot there is the same deep sky elements I could see in Prawle but much more clearly defined. Are these just dust clouds or is this actually the galaxy I'm seeing?

ukbuysellRemote Imaging from AustraliaSharpSkyblank APTUKAI on Facebook